Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-30-2008

Default '82 FC 33 Generator slide wont slide

I just purchased a 82 fc 35, I cant get the slide to work. I released the lock and can pull it out but it has alot of pressure on it and wont come all the way out. Can someone give me some advice on what to check?? Does the battery on the generator matter? Is this air operated or electric? I dont hear anything when I move the switch. The previous owner said he never figured it out either.
Old 08-30-2008
Forum owner

the genny slide?
its air operated,yu need to run the cat engine until you have full air pressure,then use the switch to slide the genny out.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-30-2008

I have tried it with full air pressure but nothing happens when I flip the switch
Old 08-30-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjoe View Post
I have tried it with full air pressure but nothing happens when I flip the switch
On my '82 FC35RB I have to have the AUXILIARY STEP switch on the dash IN (opposite of EXTENDED) and the STEP MASTER switch in the stepwell small door interior compartment in the Off position, for my generator slide to operate, this doesn't sound like it makes any sense, but that's the way that mine is wired..........weird...................YES, but like I said it works.

You should hear an audible CLICKING sound when you move the generator slide switch, if this doesn't work, you may need to replace the air cylinder for the slide, Randy may have one of those in stock at his shop.

I believe that it is made by Clippard, you can find a link to them by going to Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Database and Downloads > Clippard Instrument Laboratory, Inc. right here on the forum.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-30-2008

i will try that, thanks John
Old 08-30-2008
RV Appraiser

Joe, You are at the right place for answers to all of your questions!!!
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 08-30-2008

thanks john, came by your house Friday
Old 08-30-2008
Senior

John/kysjoe you both will find that many bluebirds are miswired, cut wired, scabbed together, rube goldberged together etc etc from over 20 years of owners living without a forum like this and anyplace close by to get them repaired and serviced. If its possible to do it someone has done it to our coaches, and in the 1982 FC35 that I had I found them all.

The air system for the steps has nothing what ever to do with the generator slide other then it uses the same air from the coach, and is in a perfect position for owners to get wires crossed between the air steps and the generator slide and thereby to get things to work like a gremlin is pushing the buttons. I think John has that problem. But if it works leave it like that until you get to a rally so you can get the information you need to fix it. Or you have the correct schematic and can understand them so you can correct the problem and rewire it.

I redid the generator slide air system and the air steps on my previous 1982 FC35 and you can see what the air solenoid for the generator slide looks like that I modified so I could get to it easier. It was originally mounted in back of the generator shelf right behind the actual generator and I moved it to the front of the shelf right behind the control box which I also rebuilt. You can see that I welded up a small post to elevate the solenoid off the shelf so I could get to it easier. You can also see what the control gox for the generator looks like when it is rebuilt.
http://tinyurl.com/5heecx

You can see what the air solenoid looks like for both the steps and the generator slide at
http://tinyurl.com/5gxxmj

Click on picture P715003 and you can enlarge it. Notice the two air mufflers that are sintered brass with the adjustment screw in the middle to control how fast the air cylinder moves in and out. Between the mufflers is the air inlet to the air solenoid. Now click on picture P715004 and you will see the other side of the air solenoid that will direct air to the other side of the air solenoid and thereby to the air cylinder. There are two brass adapters to attach the 1/4" air lines to the air cylinder that moves the generator shelf one line goes to one end of the air cylinder and the other line goes to the opposite end. One of the solenoids directs the air to one end of the air cylinder that pushes the shelf out and at the same time the air in the cylinder is expelled by the muffler on the other end. The other solenoid directs the air to the other end of the air cylinder to retract the shelf and then the other muffler expells the air in the other end of the cylinder. without the mufflers working properly (you can adjust them to slow down or speed up the shelf or the air steps. Each solenoid is operated by the switch in the stair compartment is to the left of the stairs.

Inside the square bottom portion of the air solenoid is a plastic rod with a series of rubber O rings. There are air channels made into the square part inside that directs the air to different parts of the air solenoid depending on which position the switch is in(inside the step compartment). you can take the bottom apart and clean everything good including the cavity inside and lubricate the O rings lightly with silicone grease and put it back together. As long as it is not corroded it should work as good as new. You can test the two solenoids just by moving the switch for the generator slide (or the air steps) like John said (just listen for the clicks either under the air steps or the generator slide.

If there is a problem getting the generator shelf out, dump the air in the air tanks so the coach is down and no air pressure. Then slide under the drivers side of the coach directly across from the generator and detach the closest end of the air cylinder by removing the cotter pin and the pin. You need to label the two 1/4" air lines as to which end of the cylinder they are attached to. Then you can put your feet against the shelf and push it out. You might have to cut a few tie wraps around the cylinder.
I probably forgot something and if I did please ask and I will try again.
6V92
Old 08-31-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Thanks Tom,

Those are very detailed photos, thanks again.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-31-2008
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

"I cant get the slide to work. I released the lock and can pull it out but it has alot of pressure on it and wont come all the way out. Can someone give me some advice on what to check??"

When you try extending with the slide switch do you hear it trying to open?

Our 83 generator slide has cast iron roller wheels that run in tracks on each side of the slide.

When we first got our the coach I had a one time experience where the slide jammed while retracting. One of the roller wheels was chipped along the outside edge and it misaligned and the chipped edge jumped the track thus preventing full retraction. My mechanic friend happened to be with me and was able to spot this by going in back of the tracks looking forward. He was able to get the wheel back on the track (fairly easy) and it has never happened again

I suppose a misaligned wheel or something caught in the track could prevent full extension as well.

Be careful!

Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida