Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-10-2009
davidmbrady

Default LXi Slide Operation (HWH slide technology)

Randy, I've been wanting to post this for some time now:

From HWH documentation:

1. Make sure there is adequate room to fully extend the room. Make sure
people and objects are clear of the room while operating the room. Make
sure pets are accounted for before operating the room.

2. Always fully extend or retract the room. Do not run the room back and
forth in the middle of the stroke. If the movement of the room must be
reversed in the middle of the stroke, completely extend or retract the
room as needed to restart the operation. When the room is operated in
the middle of the stroke without fully extending or retracting the
synchronizing poppets in the sync cylinder cannot open. This can cause
the room to become
unsynchronized and possibly become jammed up. It is allowable to stop
the operation of the room and then continue continue as long as the
movement of room is not reversed.

3. Always hold the room control switch for several seconds after the
room is fully extended or retracted. This assures the room cylinders
will be properly pressurized and the synchronizing poppets open to
resynchronize the room.

4. The most important instruction is to pay attention to the operation
of the room. If the room malfunctions while operating, the sooner the
operation is halted, there will be less damage that can occur to the
room and/or room mechanism.
Old 12-10-2009
davidmbrady

Here's my set of "over-the-top" precautions one may take to enjoy successful slide operation, take it with a grain of salt.

For successful slide operation, I'd add the following:

1) Put an air pressure gauge on your slide seal regulator and set the pressure to 12 to 15 psi. (I use 12 psi).
2) Make sure the 12 V system is fully charged when operating the hydraulic pumps. I do this by only operating the HWH pumps when on genny power or on shore power with the aux 12V switch enabled. The hydraulic pump is connected to your chassis batteries.
3) Re-level the coach even if you think it is OK.
4) Open a window or a door to allow for changes in room air volume.
5) Release the air bladder, and visually confirm that the seal has pulled away from the slide.
6) If the slide is out, depress the switch and put it in the out position again, then bring it in, It must be all the way out, and sometimes it will creep in a little when you have been sitting a while.
7) when extending or retracting, always continue to depress the rocker switch for an additional 5 seconds after the slide has stopped moving and the red LED has gone out, this allows the pins to engage and the synchronization cylinder to re-sync.
8) Keep your slide rams clean and lubed with silicon spray. No need to put any dressing on the air slide seal. Keep the sides of the exterior slide skin clean and waxed.
9) If you detect any racking of the slide during operation, STOP and call HWH. Even a little racking can lead to big dollar repairs.
10) Exercise your slide at least once a month. Use it or lose it!

Last edited by davidmbrady; 03-04-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2009
Forum owner

I remember you adding a pressure gauge,and I have that on the short list.
Where is the air regulator located?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-10-2009
davidmbrady

It's located in the second from the front, streetside bay. Don't have a photograph of it. Next time I'm at the bus I'll take a pic. The black round item near the center of the manifold is the regulator. There's an allen head screw in the center of the regulator for adjusting air pressure. There's a 1/4" NPT port on the manifold to thread in an air gauge. It looks like this:

Old 12-11-2009

David,

You have made me feel so much better about my slides in the my coach. I have always thought that the M380 slides were a touch complicated but wow, yours sound like a major pain. We can stop our slides any were we want and start again in or out. Dont have to be level or anything. Just have to have enough air to make it move. Bedroom will move in or out no matter what even if coach is way off level.

Somebody can correct me but I think the slides in the M380 were designed by Bluebird or (Seribus-who ever) They are not HWH and completely an attempt by Bluebird to come up with their own slide. The only part of our slides is the HWH Seal around the slides and the rest is an attempt by Bluebird to creat their own slide.

Anyway, you just made me feel better about how mine works. Thanks
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 12-11-2009
davidmbrady

Glad I could help!

Last edited by davidmbrady; 12-11-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
It's located in the second from the front, streetside bay. Don't have a photograph of it. Next time I'm at the bus I'll take a pic. The black round item near the center of the manifold is the regulator. There's an allen head screw in the center of the regulator for adjusting air pressure. There's a 1/4" NPT port on the manifold to thread in an air gauge. It looks like this:

Nice screen capture David, that's a good way to add a section of a detailed drawing to a post

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-11-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

OK slide owners...Not trying to start a slide vs non-slide war (again), but after reading David's info, please remind me why I would want to deal with that level of complexity to gain knee room. David, you are a small minority of BB owners who have young children and crawl/play space is very important.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 12-11-2009
davidmbrady

Paul,

All man, I get no slack!

It's simple, I thrive on complexity, as do many BB owners, otherwise we'd be driving Winnie's.

Seriously though, I make it sound far worse than it is. What I've outlined is an extremely "anal" approach to slide ownership. These are precautions that will provide a high confidence level that your slide ownership will be eventless.

Upon examination, many people happily enjoy there slides while ignoring guidelines: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10. In reality all you need to do is 7. That's right, as Randy pointed out, you need to hold the extend/retract button long enough (5s) for the pins to engage and the sync cylinder to re-sync. The rest of it is me being me, and is intended to help troubleshoot if you are having problems. Really, that's it.

Here's how slide operation works for 95% of LXi owners:
1) level the coach
2) turn the deflate seal key,
3) push and hold the extend button, voila, done.

The important stuff is in my first post which was taken from HWH documentation. It states what's important. I added the rest, intending it as thorough documentation for future generations of BB owners. I see someone 5 years from now doing a search on slides and stumbling upon my post. I'm here to serve.

John: Thanks, yes it is an effective way to get a snippet of a pdf into a post. Just be sure there's nothing embarrassing on your screen or it will be captured too!

Last edited by davidmbrady; 12-11-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2013
Bill&Peggy

Given that O'Malley's Law states that Murphy was an optimist, HOW would you go about manually retracting a slide when it decides it doesn't want to work. Of course this will happen at least 500 miles from home and 100 miles from a competent mechanic.

I have owned this wonderful 99 LXi with two slides for less than a year and think knowing how to manually retract one (or both) would be a real handy bit of knowledge to have should something go south.