Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-20-2012

Default Generator Muffler

I have a 1994 wanderlodge WB 40' with a 15 kw power tech generator I am looking for a muffler or the source where I can purchase a muffler for the generator. , or the part number or original supplier for the muffler
This muffler is round approximately 20 " long
Thanks
Dana Alexander
Old 08-20-2012
GARY,M

have u tried mineike or muffler man,
you should be able to take your exact measurments and they should be able to find you one .they do custom exhusts for people all the time.
they have books with all sorts of differant muffler deminsions.
Old 08-21-2012
Forum owner

This is a hard to get muffler,if you find it,its big bucks.
Stephen Birtles looked into getting them once.
Maybe he will comment.
Stephen?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-21-2012

My previous 83pt. had a 8kw power tech the PO had installed it himself and also straight piped it. ( no muffler) . I picked up a muffler and pipe ( was about. 5 ft in length total and the flex pipe that brought it off the engine ( flex pipe was approx 2ft) . The whole unit was purchased at Power Tech just south of Ocala, FL. for around. $100 - $125. about 2 years ago.
1983 PT 35 (sold)
2011 Honda CRV Toad
Ed, Nina and Abbi
Old 08-23-2012

Dana, when we purchased our coach 10 years ago, the gen would run for a period of time then shut down. Not on hi temp or low oil pres. I was going nuts trying to figure it out. I took it to a gen shop and 2 young guys were diagnosing it and said it appeared to be a bad injector pump. They went back inside the building to get a price. There happened to be an old man standing by the door way and come over to me and told me exactly what the problem was. He told me to slide the gen out and run it. (no muffler that way). It ran and ran and ran. Slid the tray back in and in 10 minutes it shut down. Open the tray it ran and ran. Close the tray, 10 minutes it shut down. the old guy told me I simply had a clogged muffler. I went home, cut the muffler off and opened it up. Sure enough it was clogged. Turns out the PO had put a regular gas engine muffler on it. there apparently is a BIG difference between and gas and diesel muffler. I went to the local muffler shop, told them the size DIESEL muffler I needed. Been on there for 10 years now and no problems. Moral of the story....Make SURE you get a DIESEL muffler and NOT one for a gas engine.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
Dana, when we purchased our coach 10 years ago, the gen would run for a period of time then shut down. Not on hi temp or low oil pres. I was going nuts trying to figure it out. I took it to a gen shop and 2 young guys were diagnosing it and said it appeared to be a bad injector pump. They went back inside the building to get a price. There happened to be an old man standing by the door way and come over to me and told me exactly what the problem was. He told me to slide the gen out and run it. (no muffler that way). It ran and ran and ran. Slid the tray back in and in 10 minutes it shut down. Open the tray it ran and ran. Close the tray, 10 minutes it shut down. the old guy told me I simply had a clogged muffler. I went home, cut the muffler off and opened it up. Sure enough it was clogged. Turns out the PO had put a regular gas engine muffler on it. there apparently is a BIG difference between and gas and diesel muffler. I went to the local muffler shop, told them the size DIESEL muffler I needed. Been on there for 10 years now and no problems. Moral of the story....Make SURE you get a DIESEL muffler and NOT one for a gas engine.
another moral : sometimes one old man looking for simple things first can out-think two young men over-look'n the basics
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 08-25-2012

Amen to that Mike!! Had that old guy not been standing there, I may very well have spent what....a grand or more on an injector pump. So it cost me less than a hundred bucks for a muffler some pipe and a chrome tip. Been running great ever since.

I would never have guessed that a gas engine muffler would be so different than a diesel muffler. Although I never took notice of the difference because the old muffler was so packed with soot. I assume the louvers and such inside are bigger on the diesel muffler to allow for the dirtier exhaust.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 08-26-2012

Try United Muffler.
He quoted me $235.95 + shipping in August 2011. He's in Canada so you might have to pay a fee. I ended up building a SS myself, but he is the only one I found. I have a pdf drawing if you need it

Paul Demelo
United Muffler Corp.
Toll Free: 1-866-229-3402
Fax: 519-455-1103
E-mail: paul@unitedmuffler.com
Web Site: www.unitedmuffler.com
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net