Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 05-02-2024
Super Moderator

Bobbie, if you guys like lakes, I can make some great recommendations when you come through the areas around TN for both boondocking and great camp sites. We live on one and I have spent a lot of time traveling to many, many others. There is also a cool Marina in Alabama I can recommend where you can park RIGHT on the sea wall. Requires some courage with tight parking and reversing maneuvers, but worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 5.15.38 PM.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	91444  
Old 05-02-2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandermore View Post
Please tell us more about the UP and the bridge. We were thinking about taking the long way to visit family in South Dakota and making our way up around through there.
You need to go to Mickinac Island. There are several campgrounds around Mackinaw City. We have used Mackinaw Mill Creek several times. Prepare to spend a good long day on the island, two if you have the time. There is a lot to see and do. Take the bridge across to St. Ignace except on Labor Day due the the walk. Go up to the Soo Locks. Great fun to learn and watch the ships go through the locks. Tahquamenon Falls State Park is a must see. We spent a week at Grand Marais at the Woodland Park Campground. Used it as a home base to do the light house, Aue Sable Point, Munising, Pictured Rocks and on and on. Lots of stuff to do. Look it up and pick your poison, as they say.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 05-03-2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandermore View Post
Please tell us more about the UP and the bridge. We were thinking about taking the long way to visit family in South Dakota and making our way up around through there.
Driving over the Mac is one of the coolest things you can do. It so high and so long that you feel like your driving a bird among the birds. At the center section you are so high if you look down the birds are flying lower than you! You look down at the swells in the middle of the bridge and it feels like the bus is a boat! Really awesome. Have a passenger take pictures. There is a state campground on the yup side in the first town you can get off. They have lakefront sites and the view of the Mac at night is quite a site. If you can’t get a lakefront site they have viewing areas you can walk to so you can get pictures. If you time it right in the lower yup upper MI they have an antique in water wooden boat show. The campground has lake sites but you need to book ahead given the size of the crowd and plan your time around that event. If you’re that interested I’ll have Donna pull the info out of the scrapbook she made of that trip.
I never had in issue driving over suspension bridges like Nancy mentioned but some people do fear it. So they have a pull off where you can request a driver. IMHO driving over the Mac IS the event. Just abide meticulously to the speed limit and birds are so heavy they just eat up the road. No issues just a blast to drive. FWIW when we were there we read about a truck driver that got scared and got stuck in the middle of the bridge and crashed into a car. Yeah they had to go get him. The first time we went over the winds were just 3-5 mph before they would shut it down. I said tally ho and over we went. Every one else was swaying all over the place but that heavy widebody was steadfast in the wind. But you had to drive at or slightly under the speed limit. The speed limit varies and is set based on wind speed the signs are so big you can’t miss them. And yes we were in the outer lane for the best view of the lake. :-) I need to mention that in addition to speed restrictions based on maximum sustained winds it also has lane restrictions at the highest center section. The day we went over at almost maximum sustained winds we rode the outer lane on the lower sections and moved over where we we required to. The other times there were no restrictions so we ran the outer lane the whole way because we were allowed to.
1995 WLWB sold
1980 FC 33 250T “Hummingbird aka Blissfulldaze”

Last edited by Tallybird; 05-03-2024 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Add
Old 05-03-2024

Rhonda did the heavy lifting for you. Phone numbers for the campgrounds are in the intinerary.

Here are parks and places we stayed on a similar tour. We are 45’, so if we fit, you will fit.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4824
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Maverick Hybrid toad
Old 05-03-2024
Shade Tree Mechanic

Thanks for the replies.
On the way to the Eclipse rally we went over the Rainbow Bridge in Texas so I think we will be OK on most any other. We live in Jacksonville, sometimes called the "river city" so driving over bridges is rather commonplace here.
Old 05-03-2024

https://www.ssbadger.com/

Bridges not your thing? Want to get some R&R?
Take your Bird on a cruise across Lake Michigan

1995 WB 42' series 60 Detroit

1999 BB custom 33' 8.3 Cummins "Jesse" (sold)
1988 WB XXV 8V92 (sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (toad)
2002 VW New Beetle TDI (diesel toad)
Old 05-03-2024

Maybe one day I can plan a trip like that. I can't wait to see what you end up doing. Keep notes for us guys that are not there yet.
78 FC35 - The Time Machine (Sold)