Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM

Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM Post your questions or comments here about your favorite campground, RV park, rest area, Walmart or Cracker Barrel parking lot where you like to get your shut eye, or WHERE TO STAY AWAY FROM.

Site Search:

Old 05-14-2019

Default Fort Wilderness campsite recommendation

We are taking the grandkids to Disney in July. I know it will be hot, but that’s when we all can get off. We have a reservation at Fort Wilderness for a premium site. We would like to be within walking distance of the marina, but still have a little room to stretch out. I can’t find any maps with site numbers on them. Not taking any pets so that is not a issue. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-14-2019

Have fun, it's a great campground. July will be hot, but most sites will be well shaded.

There aren't many bad sites in fort wilderness. The sites closest to the marina are actually called "preferred" in the 100 to 300 loops. Those loops are really tight for most"birds"

You won't get much help from Disney reserving a site. You can make requests but there are no guarantees. Try to arrive early, they'll often let you check in at 11 am. Stay the night before somewhere close by if you're driving long haul. If you don't like your assigned site, just take another one you like, then call and ask if you can have it. They will usually say yes.
Old 05-14-2019

I'm planning on being down there just before you at the end of June.
Here is what I found.

A couple of videos on the campground.
Part 1 Part 2

This was the best map I could find> Site Map

It looks like transportation is everywhere there, but I get your desire to be near the marina.

From Part 1 (around the 8:00 mark), it sounds like loops 100-200-300 are "Prefered Use" and those are the closest to the marina.
Loops 400-1400 are the "Premium Use" sites.
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 05-14-2019
Rodeobumm

Here is the web site for Fort Desoto campground. Maps and some photo are available.
Enjoy...
Old 05-15-2019

Default Fort Wilderness YouTube Video

Lots of WDW FW YouTube videos. But this recent one is from one of our own

https://youtu.be/eri11YFrkDc

In July it will be steam bath hot and WET. Suggest you pack your own rain ponchos.
Old 05-15-2019

Check out River Ranch RV Resort in central Florida. It’s one of the most beautiful Rv parks anywhere. It’s about 60 miles south of Disney on the Kissimmee River. There is a full blown rodeo every Saturday night, large saloon with live CW band, Golf, swampbuggy and air boat rides, skeet shooting, tennis, zip lines, 1 mile airstrip for your Gulfstream, mechanical bucking bull, horseback riding, etc. Check it out at Riverranchrv.com. Also check out Westgateriverranch.com. Note: Do not book with a Rv site with Westgate. They are mostly tent camping, cabins and clamping. The RR RV Resort is a separate entity. You will enjoy it!!!!
Dan
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 05-15-2019

The last time we stayed at FW we were in the 700 loop. It's a very short walk to the settlement and we liked it. Be aware that the site size will vary within each loop, some much smaller than others. They are all at an angle to the road to help backing in. When we checked in the cast member showed us a map of the resort with the available sites, along with the size of each site, and let me pick which one I wanted. Disney customer service is the best.

If you need a place to stay outside Disney I can recommend Tropical Palms in Kissimmee. It's only a few minutes from Disney and a very nice camp ground, we stay there quite a bit. It's also a Thousand Trails / Encore camp ground, if you are a TT member.

Tom Wunder
Wilmington, NC
1979 FC31RB
Echo
A Thing From The Past. A Gift For The Future
Old 05-15-2019

Thanks to everybody for all of the tips. I am thinking the 700 loop will probably
work well for us. I found a APP (Fort Wilderness Sites) last night after posting that has pictures of most sites with the size, where the utilities are located and ease of getting into. It does not however have a map with the site numbers on it.

Chris
Old 05-16-2019

The DISboards have a camping section with information on the activities going on at Fort Wilderness if you're interested.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/cam...sney-world.24/

Note* FW started repaving the loops in early May and you know how Disney works. I bet all the loops are repaved and nice and smooth now.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Last edited by Kiwi3; 05-16-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2019

And another map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new map.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	61955  
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map