Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Your theory is close. The aluminum expands more than stainless for the same temperature change (about 1.4 to 2x, depending on specific alloys), and because the band is on the outside of the rubber hose it doesn't quite see the same temperature change as the aluminum.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately, we broke down near Blythe so the bus is about 2.5 hours from home.

The Radiator and CAC were both sent to a commercial radiator repair shop in Phoenix. Looking at it from the engine compartment, one of the core tubes on the radiator cracked. There was also a crack on the CAC, so both were sent out for estimates.

The radiator will be replaced, not repaired. Being 25+ years old, I agree with Randy that replacement would be money better spent. I'm inclined to do the same with the CAC, but I'm still waiting on an estimate.

They also found a small leak on the fan motor, so we're looking at that as well as other hoses and the sort that can be replaced.

I wish there was a way to have the bus at my place so I could work on replacing as many hoses as possible but unfortunately that just isn't possible given the circumstances.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
even with good boost numbers you can have a leaky CAC,or air cooler,or air to air.
Mine would have 20 lbs of boost,but would not hold any pressure at all,and with soapy water it was all bubbles.
we test them here at home,so i did the test and the soap spray.
Is that how you can check your CAC with soapy water spray ?

Spray it all over and look for bubbles, can you do this at idle how much load do you need on it ?
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Is that how you can check your CAC with soapy water spray ?

Spray it all over and look for bubbles, can you do this at idle how much load do you need on it ?
Thats not how i do it,but thay may work (probably not).
I take the hoses off and cap the inlet/outlet,one of my caps has a schrader valve and a pressure gauge and i use shop air to charge it,i have 160psi line pressure.
If the gauge don't move spray it with dawn (with or without the duck) and watch for bubbles.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago

Okay that makes more sense. Thanks Randy
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuenti View Post
Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately, we broke down near Blythe so the bus is about 2.5 hours from home.
I am sorry to hear that.
I have the same coach and for years mine ran much like you described temp wise.
My heating problem was attributed to a semi faulty thermostat. By the way are hard to get call Randy.
It stressed the whole system to the point I only ran the coach with the fan override on. George Morris said it’s an option.
Which worked well for 60,000 mile once I changed it out the coach ran like what most owners attest to normal op. temps.
Now that you have everything apart do everything you can afford to do. Personally I’ve been in every nook and cranny on PT 42 there’s a few place I’ve been and I hope I don’t ever go to again!
What I’m suggesting is do everything you can do on the left side of the pt42 engine bay
You won’t regret it
This is my personal opinion, yes I’m bias, just ask any ol Wanderlodge employee
You have the pinnacle of non slide Bluebirds
Treat it as such
Old 1 Week Ago

Kurt, good to hear that things should improve once I get past the present repairs. I've always thought that this coach was under-powered or not working as intended. It did not make sense to me that BB would put in a 470HP engine just to have it overheat when taking on slight grades, or when operating with outside temps in the 90's. I'm sure I'll still slow down on steep grades, but hopefully I'll be able to keep the temps at a more reasonable level.

I'm slowly learning how to work on the multiple systems in this coach, which will help down the road; however, it is a steep learning curve. This coach is quite complex and challenging to work on. It was obviously not engineered with repairs or maintenance in mind.

I'm still working on estimates to see just how much I'll be able to get done this time around, but hopefully, I'll be able to take advantage of the open space and get as many things replaced as possible on the left side of the engine compartment.

I can tell you that Rose and I have no regrets in the purchase of this coach. We researched this as best we knew how and jumped at the opportunity when it presented itself. I really wish this model had the private toilet, but otherwise, we are pleased with the build and grateful for the opportunity to own such an amazing icon of American engineering.

This coach sat far too idle for too many years prior to our purchase, so we keep having to repair and upgrade things as we go. We understand that the To Do List will never be caught up, but our goal is to get this coach operating as originally engineered, upgrading and modernizing components as we can afford.

Thank again for the encouragement. We are ever so grateful for the amazing people that make up the WOG! It makes owning one of these coaches less daunting, and a pleasure to be part of this community!
Old 1 Week Ago
In The Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuenti View Post
Kurt, good to hear that things should improve once I get past the present repairs. I've always thought that this coach was under-powered or not working as intended. It did not make sense to me that BB would put in a 470HP engine just to have it overheat when taking on slight grades, or when operating with outside temps in the 90's. I'm sure I'll still slow down on steep grades, but hopefully I'll be able to keep the temps at a more reasonable level.

I can tell you that Rose and I have no regrets in the purchase of this coach. We researched this as best we knew how and jumped at the opportunity when it presented itself. I really wish this model had the private toilet, but otherwise, we are pleased with the build and grateful for the opportunity to own such an amazing icon of American engineering.
I've got the same engine, definitely not under-powered. Mine easily pushes 25lbs(+) of boost and climbs great with very little rise in temps.

Mine has a private toilet.
1995 WB 42 "The Magic Carpet"
1977 FC 31 RB "BUSTA BUS"
MeWe : https://mewe.com/i/clintsummers1
Semper Fi
-----------------------------------------
Old 3 Days Ago

I need a favor from an owner with a 1995 S60.

The radiator shop states that there was no identifying serial or part number on either the radiator or CAC, which I need in order to provide to QS&T for an estimate.

If someone could please take a look, that would be greatly appreciated.

There was a post on this but it was for a 1997 S60. However, the part number that was posted only brought up the CAC, and not the CAC and radiator stack. I gave QS&T the number ending with both "CA" and "A", but it only came up as the CAC. They said that a serial number would work.

Thank you in advance!
Old 3 Days Ago

Jose, Mine was done in 2012 for 11,500.00 by the PO . ouch !! New Rad, CAC hoses included .

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com