Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-15-2019
Ed

Default SIMA electronic in 2004 M380

Just bought 2004 M380 and trying to figure out the configuration on the electronics located inside the cab. Could someone tell me what the SIMA box is for (located in the cab above the drivers seat)i? There is also a black box from radio shack that manually allows one to toggle back and forth from A to B. Does anyone know its purpose? I've tinkered with both and they don't seem to affect any of the other electronics. However, they both are plugged in and power up.

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn Bragg
Old 05-15-2019

The A to B box is to toggle between the cable tv and your (probably ancient) satellite antenna. The SIMA box was/is a device to direct sound to different speakers, etc.
Did you get all the remotes for these?
Have fun, and hope you enjoy your M380!
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 05-15-2019

Carolyn: Welcome from another noobie to the M380 club!

What is going to frustrate the heck out of you is that Bluebird was great at including instruction manuals from the various vendors of equipment they installed in our 380's. They were not so great at writing up their own stuff or the integration of the various systems they installed. Your question about the A/B Switch is a prime example -- Lance has the correct answer; the owner's manual calls it a "Video Selector Box" and describes it:
The video selector box is mounted in the front overhead cabinet. This allows the independent switching of two VCR's, TV, TV cable and TV game to the two standard TVs in the motor home.
Yeah, sure, that clears things up!

Regardless, you're probably going to do like most of us and yank all that stuff out and start over. First, it's obsolete; second, there's a lot of redundancy (my M380 came with 4 DVD players) and lastly, those who have tried have found it very painful to try to trace every wire in that rats nest. Even if you do the trace, with digital streaming, smart TVs, and wireless speakers, most of it can be bypassed with something better.

To add to this madness, your PO may have already messed with the overhead. Mine added satellite internet, replaced the front TV and added 2 of the 4 DVD players because he couldn't figure out how get what he wanted from the factory systems -- there were disconnected cables everywhere! It's still a work in progress, but I have a vision that will take some time to complete.

BTW, WOGers love pictures -- I try to document my work so I can post it when I'm done (it also keeps me out of trouble when I forget how something came apart). Please do the same!
Old 05-15-2019
Ed

Default 2004 M380 original electronics

Thank you both for the valuable information. We are definitely leaning toward scraping everything. Our biggest concern is that our ultimate goal is to have the capability to connect cable/satellite to the external hookup and be able to watch on all 3 TVs (front, bedroom and outside). Right now the external connection for cable/satellite does not work. We have to run the cable through the Driver window and connect to the TV in the front and that is then the only TV that receive cable/satellite. We will be replacing the TV in the front with a smart TV and buying a couple of blueray dvds. The Bose radio works pretty well (can't use DVD or CD player)and the Bose speakers sound pretty good so we may keep that for now and try to figure out how to connect the Tv in the front to it for a better sound. At some point we will replace the Kenwood Excelon with something else but we are trying to spread it out a bit for $$ reasons. Any suggestions on how to accomplish any of this is greatly appreciated! I know how to use electronics but know nothing about how to wire them.

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My best to all,
Carolyn Bragg
Old 05-16-2019

I am about where you are. I am going to pull everything out and upgrade everything with modern equipment. I bought an end to end line tester and I intend to trace and label all the wiring. Our wiring is a bit of a rat's nest and most of the original components were removed by the PO. That leaves me with a blank slate.

We are going to have in-motion satellite and an X-Box One for the kids to keep themselves occupied on travel days. I'm not sure what speakers will fit where the old Bose speakers were, but we will replace those since the electronics are all gone.

Someone should design a upgraded retrofit kit so we can just buy it and install...
Jeep TJ Toad - LS 5.3 swap in process
Old 05-16-2019

Chris: Couldn't agree with you more about the retrofit kit! Also, to the extent that it doesn't slow your progress, any notes / pictures about what you find in your tracing would be invaluable to those of us who follow you.

Carolyn: I'm heading to the bus barn now and I'll see if I can find the lead from the external TV antenna and see where it goes in the overhead. Not sure I can see it without removing the TV which may not be a one person task (haven't tried it yet).

Jim
Old 05-16-2019
Geek

If you have an original plasma monitor (it wasn't really a TV) it weighs about 50 lbs. I had a friend hold it up while I released the latches. Do you know how the latches work?
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexspeed View Post
Chris: Couldn't agree with you more about the retrofit kit! Also, to the extent that it doesn't slow your progress, any notes / pictures about what you find in your tracing would be invaluable to those of us who follow you.
I will post about it as I go through the process. I should be picking up the bus from the shop today or tomorrow.
Jeep TJ Toad - LS 5.3 swap in process
Old 05-16-2019
Ed

We had to take the TV down in order to see behind it. It was heavy and bolted to two huge metal slabs. But, we did get it out. Regarding the replacement TV, has anyone one found a good extending, lock in place replacement holder for the TV. We would hate for it to rattle loose and fall but would like the convenience of being able to extend out if need be.

Behind the TV is a rats nest as previously mentioned by someone (in fact, on both sides-TV side and other side where SIMA, 10 CD disc changer etc). We are somewhat overwhelmed. So, when we disconnect all the old equipment, should we just leave all the wiring. I hate to add to the mess that's already there but surely don't know how to trace and unravel all that's there.

I tried to take pics but too dark. I will try putting some sort of light up there and try again today.

Thanks to Chris, Jim, and Don. We are anxious to hear any further advice and if Jim was able to trace external hookup to front. I hope we aren't being pains but know that others must have had the same problems and hope to cut through some of the time and headaches!

Many thanks!

Carolyn
Old 05-16-2019

Ed & Carolyn - I bought a Sanus mount at Wal-Mart that has 15" extension for my front TV and used some 3M Dualloc tape strips to hold it while stationary, then got some straps from Amazon that were suggested to me for when in motion. That seems like the best solution to me. Getting rid of big old 50 lb TV monitor whatever is also a great solution.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k back home in GA
1990 SP36 78k (going to Bobbie Martin soon)