Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 02-17-2009
Medicup

Default Tires/Rims for older birds (Split Rims)

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading wheels/tires for an older bird with split rims. mine has 9.00 x 20 tires on it and I can't seem to find any replacements in that size.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2009

Obsolete tire size. You have to change over to 22.5.
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-17-2009

Default tires

Alan, Any tire dealer who deals with trucks, RV's and such should be able to do this for you. The old tire wheel combinations are pretty close to the same diameter as the 22.5 inch wheels being used today. When I converted my 73 it was pretty much just buying the wheels and tires. No problems that I recall. Now, when you get into Alcoa's then it gets a little more involved. The studs are often too short because of the additional thickness of the aluminum as compared to the steel. That makes it more complicated. Then you also have to consider the additionals with the Alcoa's like the chrome bits and pieces which add up quickly. The Alcoa's really do look nice but its not a cheap way to go. I got used Alcoa's for I think about $150 each. It cost $75 a wheel to polish them and so by the time I was finished I have several "K" in the project with studs and chrome.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-17-2009

9.00x20 are no longer made but 10.00x20 are made by goodyear, in domestic tires. Try chinese made on line or some tire shops will have 9.00 20 in these, thats all there is in 9.00x20. Some independent firestone dealers will carry these off brand tires. 10.00X20 are fine your speedo will be off somewhat however---edited

of course im wrong again as usual http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/search.cfm
9.00x20 are still made

Last edited by rob; 02-17-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2009

It is my understanding that split rims are rather dangerous to handle. True or untrue? Bet too the wheels are warn and rusty. Alan, I got four 22.5 wheels you can have, come and gett'em. You will need to buy two more at about I think a bill or so a piece. How good a deal is that? If you want the simulators then I want a little something for those.

Multi Piece Wheels (Split Rims)
SERVICING MULTI-PIECE AND SINGLE-PIECE RIM WHEELS
Some older 'Birds came with Split style rims here is a large pdf file that will tell you how to handle them.

Here is Wanderlodge #1 with Split Rims on it.

Split Rims have a removable ring or flange on them and are obsolete.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPLIT RIM 2.jpg
Views:	1687
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	20636   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPLIT RIM 3.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	20637  

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by iamflagman; 03-10-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Added pdf file and pictures
Old 02-17-2009
Medicup

Default you guys are great

As usual you have all produced very useful information. While I'm not in any immediate need to replace the rims and/or tires it is great to know what my sources and options will be if I get into any trouble this summer.

BTW, Split rims only become dangerous if the locking ring and/or rim are badly worn or damaged and don't seat properly, extra care must be taken when tires are being installed to protect the installer from seperation of the ring if it fails to seat properly during inflation, that's what tire cages are for.

From what data I have collected so far it appears that a direct conversion for the O.E 9.00R20 tire is a 10R22.5 tire and a 22.5" wheel.

Thanks,
Old 02-17-2009

Shoot ya just need a big hammer and big cojones to change em. And yeah watch for rust especially in those salty climes
Old 02-17-2009

Alan, I think most fellows use the 11R tires. I believe that is what was put on my 73. It think the 10R might be an odd size, not sure on that. I liked the idea of having a pretty much standard tire so that God forbid down the road if I had a problem it wasn't going to involve looking all over the place for a replacement tire. That also is something to consider when you head off into the wilds of the US interstate system. If you think you might have trouble "this summer" you better fix it before your prophecy comes to pass.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-02-2017

Hello, I know this is an old post, but rather than open a new one I thought I would see if this gets it out there. I have old Alcoa split rims on my 78 FC and I even bought new rubber 100 miles ago, but now I think I just want to upgrade. I am looking at 11R24.5. Any thoughts? Will they fit? Do I have to worry about the offset or width? the ones I am looking at are 8.25 wide. I like the idea of a little more height and a few less turns per mile. A tire shop has the wheels from an upgrade to hub pilots and says they are in good shape.

Thanks all,

Bill
Old 03-02-2017

hub mount wheels will not work on stud mounted hubs.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656