Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Mark, we had a similar problem with our 80FC almost in the same area along 101, Due to climbing some hills we ran pretty hot on exhaust temperature and the hose that connected to our vacuum gauge for the fuel filter almost melted and it would suck air. Running the fuel boost pump, ours was wired on a separate switch not just ignition, allowed me to keep going until I was able to get under the coach and disconnect and cap the connection. It never leaked fuel but would shut down the engine. The engine quit 200 yards from the top of the hill by Trees of Mystery, where highway 101 is one lane in each direction, no room to pull over. A fellow in a 5 ton flat bed towed me to the next turnout. I was able to bleed the engine and restart. I replaced and rerouted the hose and never had an another problem.
1980 FC Sold
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Mark. I remembered another problem that gave me similar effects, loosing power and then coming back. The fuel cut of solonoid on top of the injector pump had come loose and the engine would momentarily loose power. The solonoid was the old style, single wire that depended for ground thru the mounting plate. The threads on the plate had worn and the solonoid was just loose, causing it to start to drop out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Injector Pump Old solonoid.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	69609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Solonoid.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	69610  
1980 FC Sold
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thank you Lucas! I had put on the new fuel cut off solenoid A few years ago, but will check it out.
The fuel solenoid and booster pump are off new relays from the ING. I have A switch to turn off the booster pump if needed (it was turned off for the 45min. before I saw it and turned it back on).
Randy & Mike or anyone else; any thing else to look at?
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!