Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > News > Vehicle and Equipment Recalls

Vehicle and Equipment Recalls This Sub-Forum is for informational purposes only, recalls of Blue Birds are automatically posted to this forum when posted on Auto-Recalls.com ALL SUBMISSIONS ARE MODERATED - NO DISCUSSION IS ALLOWED HERE

Site Search:

Old 11-20-2008

I'm not to good at posting but here goes. It is true some coachs in 05 06 and the 2 or 3 that were built in 07 were very heavy on the front end. This depended on how they were equiped. All tile floors,entertainment centers in the front bays etc. added to the front end weight. Also the 06 07 models the awnings added weight. Mine is an 05 with carpet in the front and no extras and weighs 16250 on the front 32950 on the tandems total weight 49200. The problem is the right front weighs 8510 left front is 7740 full of fuel and water,no passengers every else loaded for traveling. I've moved most everything to the back and to the left at this weight in the bays. A new front air leveling system is going to be installed in Dec. to help the unequal load on the front as the actual left, right front weight is not that far off. It is a problem of cross bias from left front to right rear and right front to left rear caused by the present sensing system. I hope it works but i,ll know soon!!!! I don't feel bad as my brothers Newell weight is 55240 with 17560 on the front, not very legal weight!! I hope this explains some of the weight issues the lxi has. CCW has been helpfull in correcting my problems. Terry Gigot 2005 lxi
Old 11-20-2008

Hi Terry ,
Nice to hear that you're rolling ,reasonably within the limits.
4 passengers at standard 154 lbs (616 lbs) will put an increased load on the front of 606 lbs. - more in reality, so you are close. Good to be without ceramic, awnings etc
The changes to the Hadley system will not change either of the front or rear total axle weights. It will equalize the differences side to side on the front. It does it by sort of "twisting" the coach. Putting more load on the left rear, will put more on the right front and take it off the other two.
The tag is (and was) limited to 13,000 and the drive axle becomes more asymmetric in weight which isn't as critical as on the front. Decreasing the tag load, takes some load off the front. Make sure you weigh the coach in "Drive " mode. You need to drive a couple of miles before weighing. Leveling or dumping will show reduced weight on the front.( It's done)
You probably have the new higher pressure air pump as you must keep your tires above 125 lbs.
Does your Webasto heat your engine/radiator constantly? They promoted that as "a heat sink"

Best wishes,
Ross
Old 11-20-2008
davidmbrady

It looks like there's no way around having to run 125 plus psi in the front tires. I spoke with Dan Romero(sp?) Service Manager at Parliament Coach today. He tried fitting 365/70R22.5's to the 450LXi steer axle. No go. They rub the air bags.

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 11-20-2008

Ross My coach has the side mount Girard awnings that are lighter than the top mounted ones but don't look as nice. You are right as the change in the front sensors will load the left front more. In the race car world we call this changing the wedge, left front to right rear. It's interesting that i'm now putting wedge in my coach instead of my race cars Ha Ha!! Terry Gigot 2005 lxi
Old 11-20-2008
Forum owner

good post terry.
heres some info for you watchers/readers about weighing coachs.
What these guys are talking about is changing the diagonal or cross weights on their birds.
with the air ride suspension you can change the cross weights fairly easily.
with a height control valve on each corner you can adjust each corners ride height and change the weight on each wheel/tire to fine tune or balance the coach.
(i don't know if the 04-07 coachs have a height control valve on each corner)

for those nascar fans this is called wedge,and you will see the race teams screwing wedge into the cars during the race,they have steel coil springs,not air ride.
you can add wedge or subtrct it as needed,by putting more or less pressure on the spring.

in a perfect world your coach should weigh the same on both front tires,side to side.
and the same goes for the rear,side to side weights should be the same,in a perfect world.
and thats loaded,full of water,fuel,beer etc.
with your passenger in their seats.
it will never happen in real life,but getting it close without passengers is good enough.

now,something else that i have found,is that air ride cars,trucks,busses never weigh the same thing twice.
if we weigh my bus,then drive it off the scales and around the block,then re-weigh it,the weights will come out different,its something about the air ride that does this.
if we weigh a steel spring truck or car,then drive it and re-weigh it,its weighs out very close to the first weighing.

the weights we are concerned about here is the cross weights,we can change them,by adjusting the height control valves.
you cannot change the front,rear or side to side weights with height control valve adjustments.
you have to move weight to make those changes.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-06-2008
davidmbrady

If anyone's interested, Ridewell offers an 18000lb independent front suspension for motorhome/bus applications, designed to fit channel frames, tubular frames, or monocoques.

http://www.ridewellcorp.com/Web/Site...v-ifs284-steer

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 12-07-2008

Wonder if I could put that on my FC?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-07-2008
davidmbrady

I was thinking the same thing about my LXi!

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 12-07-2008
davidmbrady

Looks like there's plenty of space in the 450LXi:

http://service.blue-bird.com/PartsCW...Suspension.pdf

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 12-08-2008
Corporate Member

Default Ridewell Axle

Careful David. Blue Bird Body Company spent a considerable amount of time and effort discussing this with issue with Ridewell and between the two companies concluded that the current Ridewell offerings were not compatible with the 450 LXI. I am forwarding this thread of conversations to them and asking them to respond more completely to this forum as to the difficulties they encountered but I don't want to get too many people ramped up here on speculation.
Thanks,
Macy
www.bluebirdcoachworks.com
email: macy@completecoach.com
Cell: 951 836 6525 Office: 951 684 9585 Fax: 951 684 2023
1863 Service Court
Riverside, CA 92507