Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 09-26-2018

I also have a dual-fuel fridge and a fan to circulate air, but a different style and mounting option than Curt.

I used a larger diameter (200mm) and slow turning computer fan, which is extremely quiet, but mounted on the side inlet panel. I also installed inline a digital thermostat. It is a very low draw fan (0.16 Amps)

At the top of the flue, I needed to build an offset plate to offset the rain hood to the rear by 1 1/2" as it was too close to the newly mounted solar panel. That's the aluminum plate with the drilled holes.
I had decided to add the fan since the offset plate is more restrictive to air flow than the original plastic flue grid.

Note, on the thermostat for the fan in the chimney flue, I've seen as high as 115F with 80F degree ambient temps. I don't have data from before to compare, but maybe I will collect data without the fan running at some point to see what difference it makes, if any.
I originally intended to mount at the outlet on the top, but then realized the fan I bought from Amazon was too large to fit the flue. So, I mounted it on the inlet.

Maybe this will help you as another idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	57933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	57934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	57935  
Old 09-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
The photos are of the dual fan unit that I made and mounted to the inside top of the frig. box. Before this I tried a couple of the retail fans that are on the market. They failed to do the job. I also installed three fans at the top (roof) vent, and they are controlled by snap discs and switches. The frig. gets down to the low 30s and lower. Our frig is the original Dometic 3801.
This is exactly the same as my setup and the refrigerator gets cold...very cold! Set at number 3 on the 1 (warmest) to 5 (coldest) settings on an 85 degree day, it will keep 35 degrees in the box. Turn the fan off and it will go to 40-41.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 09-26-2018

"That's the aluminum plate with the drilled holes".

As someone who has raced sprint cars for years, I think that you don't have near enough holes. It looks like a lot but if you measured the actual amount of hole to solid, I bet it is only a third open. Lots of overheated radiators and wire mesh to figure that problem out.

I like both of the systems you guys have come up with. My AC fan I turn on with the fan switch when the gen is on or I'm plugged in. The DC fan has the push button. I know it doesn't move near the air the AC fan does. Maybe I should add a second fan.

I also placed mine to push air from the bottom to top, but is pulling the air through better? I don't know enough about fluid flow, or rather I've forgotten what I used to know.

When I have time, I am going to redesign what I have. If I get to Quartzite, I will remember to look at others.
Old 09-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytoes View Post
"That's the aluminum plate with the drilled holes".

As someone who has raced sprint cars for years, I think that you don't have near enough holes. It looks like a lot but if you measured the actual amount of hole to solid, I bet it is only a third open. Lots of overheated radiators and wire mesh to figure that problem out.
Hi Cameron,
Cool career in sprint cars! Good eye and thoughts.

Appreciate the comments and I agree it is pretty restrictive; maybe I'll cut the whole thing up and use a mesh grid from mcmaster in the center of the offset plate. I think what matters is air throughput now with fan vs. prior. I admit to getting tired of drilling holes and wanting to be done.

Being lazy, I think what I will do next time I use the RV is determine the temperature differential vs. not running the fan.
OR
If someone could collect some data for me on ambient temps vs. refrigerant tube temps that'd also help me compare. I have the thermostat temp probe attached with zip-tie to the lower ammonia cooling tubes.

Doug