Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 10-03-2018

Default Need ideas on transmission problem

I drove my Wanderlodge to Holland Motor Homes to have a couple of small issues fixed. Voltage pulsing (seen on Voltmeter and visible on brake lights when stopped), phantom power drain when unplugged, engine fan controller not working (engine fan on full even when cold), fan control knob on dash heating up. All issues have been fixed except now they say the coach will not shift out of first gear and the Trans Warning Light illuminates. Keep in mind I had no issues with the transmission over the last year owning it. The email I got from them today:

We just ran it out before lunch. We had already checked the ECM power supply, ground circuit, etc. and those checked o.k. Connections, harnesses, etc. on the trans and the ECM were also checked and seem o.k. Here is the technicians report from the next step of looking at the some sensors and other wiring concerns: “ It’s always fine idling around, but if ANY throttle is introduced, within 5 seconds the DNS light comes on and the shifter keypad locks out. Once shut down and restarted, it resets and can be moved again. If the coach is rolling at all when shifted into neutral (from reverse or drive) it will lurch to a dead stop as if the transmission locked up. Pulled fault code 2215, through the shift pad = Turbine Speed Sensor fault. This indicates an issue with the sensor itself, the wiring between it and the transmission ECU, sensor gap too great or missing teeth from ring that generates the speed signal. Took resistance readings at all 3 of the speed sensors (just to be safe) and found them all within spec. Confirmed these readings at the ECU connector, ensuring no issue in the wiring harness. Swapped the turbine speed sensor with the output speed sensor and drove it around the parking lot, no change in symptoms or the fault code collected afterward. The next step is to get the transmission hooked up to Allison software and monitor the turbine speed signal up to the fault point to determine why it's happening.”

I guess that none of this is really good news in that the external sensors are the ones we tested and they and the wiring to and from them seems o.k. In its present condition, the coach will not shift out of first gear and so a trip to Weller or W.W. Williams is going to be a long process. Towing is really the only option if it has to get to Grand Rapids. We have been talking to Keith at Weller so that may be the first guy to call to see what the next step is. We have had them come here before and run thru the ECM programming and so if you and Keith decide to do that, he can do that here. I can call and set this up if you don’t want to, just let me know how you want us to proceed.

Anyone had or seen this problem?

1998 Wanderlodge Lxi 43
Old 10-03-2018

I would guess if it was working when you took it to holland...it's something they have done while fixing other issues. Also depending on how long they had it and if the coach was plugged in, make sure all your batteries are fully charged. Pulsing voltage sounds like a bad charging symptom to me. Low voltage will cause lots of problems
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 10-03-2018

Eric, I once had a similar issue that was related to the Voltage Regulator . You mention the pulsating meter ,but don't say what the repair was . Like Kip said low or high voltage will effect the Trans . I think it needs 11.4 or so volts to operate . So what was the Voltage repair ?

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 10-03-2018
Forum owner

There was a report long ago about the DRL module doing silly things with the transmission.
DRL,Daytime running lights.

Maybe John W remembers all of the details,but its easy to unplug the DRL module,its below the drivers window in the outside electrical compartment.
It has DRL printed on it,its in a black box.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-12-2018

Default Problem found and fixed, posted to help others w/ same

Here is the email I got today from Holland motor homes:

Good news, the trans is fixed. We drove it yesterday and it is good. We did end up getting the control module from Weller and plugged it in and it never worked, it acted the same as the existing one. We started the process of checking the wiring and connections again and finally found one connector at the module that was bad. If we held the connector in our hand, it would test fine, if we put it in the module, it wouldn’t pass the signal, if we pulled down on the connector, it would pass the signal, if we left it in its natural position plugged into the module, it wouldn’t pass the signal. Anyway, long story short, we installed the new connector yesterday and drove it and it is fine. We have double checked everything else (but will do that one last time again today) and so it should be set.

I hope this helps anyone else that this happens to in the future.

And once again, thank you to Randy and everyone who gave helpful hints and suggestions.
Old 10-12-2018

Thanks for the follow-up. Over the last year, I had my 98 into WW Williams in Grand Rapids three times to get a leak fixed. They finally traced it to the where the wiring harness enters the transmission and all is good now. Glad you got yours straightened out.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan