Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 09-28-2018

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
ME,Me,Me let me speak!!
Ha! i had razor blades for breakfast,so i'm sharp today!!

Welcome to the ZOO,the WOG is going to be your family!
Wow,too much to reply too,but if you want to buy that Bird you listed i know the guy selling it!
Wait,thats me!!

We have the McDaddy of wanderlodge rallys going on down there,140 or so Birds of every color and shape,and everyone will be glad to show them off.

Come on down!
I do like the Silver PT but it just is too early to tell.

I figure we will talk on the phone eventually as this process moves forward. I am wondering about how the process of viewing a coach you have listed normally works. Are the Birds usually located at the owners location to which I would travel? Do you have them where you are sometimes?

Pine Mountain is unlikely for this year as we are so new to this process that we have other commitments for that weekend but we are the type to come if we end up with our own Bluebird.
We will try to visit a rally or two this winter even if it is with the fifth wheel and also take up some of the nice folks on the tour that have offered of their coach.

All in good time
Old 09-28-2018

It is for two weekends and the week in between. It is probably the least expensive rally you have ever been to.
Old 09-28-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
It is for two weekends and the week in between. It is probably the least expensive rally you have ever been to.
And the absolute best!

Sure,give me a call when your ready.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-11-2018

So we have it narrowed down a bit and are looking forward to touring some Birds soon.

FC35SB: for the simplicity and the bed in the rear is a must for the Mrs.

PT38: for a little more space and perhaps avoiding needing an upgrade anytime soon. I also love the sound of an 8V 2 stroke. No 8V's in the smaller PT's is how I read the archives. Roger that?

SP36: for the "modern" conveniences and the cadillac ride I read about and apparently those that have them love them. The bigger CAT is a plus too. I'm not too sure about the looks of it though. This one would probably max the budget so it would have to be ready to go or close to it.

We will be looking to tour some Birds this fall and winter and hope to decide on what we like best by early next year to focus on finding the right candidate from whatever model we choose. If we decide to go the Wanderlodge route this will be our last year with the fifth wheel.
Our annual trek to Florida (Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte) begins soon with a stop in Charleston, SC to visit the grandkids but then we'll be in PG/PC, FL. area the first part of November.
If you have a Bluebird of the type listed above and are in between Naples and Clearwater we would be much obliged if we could get a tour of your coach sometime between the 5th and 9th of November.
The fiver stays in Florida for the winter so we will be back if it doesn't work this time.
Thanks for any input on our deliberations so far.
Onward through the fog.
Old 10-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbskt View Post
...The M380 looks like what we would like if we went with a later model bird but I have to say I like the looks and simplicity of the older Bluebirds and not sure I want to deal with issues that come with a slide. The price of the 380 is a factor no doubt but we would consider it at least to look and rule out. She might fall in love and so far she is saying not to buy a project so a newer coach might need less "puttering"....
When we were at the stage of looking that you are in right now, I was thinking SP or BMC but loved that vintage look. We took our SOB to a small rally for the “Open Coach Day” and toured each of what I thought were the prime contenders. On the way back to our rig, we stopped by two M380’s sitting side-by-side (which I’d not considered before then). The owners were awesome guides and I was totally impressed. Then as we walked away the DW stopped, looked back and said “I think that’s the coach we should get”. The rest is history.

Go to a rally, look at all of the options and then listen to your DW. Most owners will tell you that ALL Wanderlodges require “puttering”, some more than others. BTW non-slide owners make a big deal about all the trouble they are avoiding, while those with them wouldn’t be without. Whether a coach is a project coach or ready to go has nothing to do with age. Good luck with your search!
Old 10-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post

Go to a rally, look at all of the options and then listen to your DW. Most owners will tell you that ALL Wanderlodges require “puttering”, some more than others. BTW non-slide owners make a big deal about all the trouble they are avoiding, while those with them wouldn’t be without. Whether a coach is a project coach or ready to go has nothing to do with age. Good luck with your search!
The M380 is likely out of our price range but I am open to look at anything. Just not a fan of most of the wide bodies asthetics. We are going to make plenty of effort to tour as many as we can to do our due diligence. We have a fifth wheel and the slide being out is mandatory to be usable other than pit stops. A slide yes or no at this point is not a make or break for us on a BB. We need to get inside them to figure that part of the equation out.
WOG is not an option this year but I am thinking about Q after the holidays. A nice DSW getaway with some bird watching thrown in. We haven't been out that way in years.
Time will tell but sometimes living on an island adds a lot of logistic factors most are not used to. We are in no rush other than needing to replace our now "vintage" fifth wheel. Hoping to decide what direction we will be going sooner than later based on a few tours. Keep the old girl going till the right BB comes along or if BB turns out to be not for us, a new fiver. That's the long and short of it. Some have already offered tours. Now it is my job to take them up on it.
Anyone on the West mid coast of Florida Nov.4-9?
Old 10-20-2018

Default Thanks to Critt Bliss

One Bluebird down and many to go.
We met up with Critt Bliss today. He was kind enough to take time out to give us a tour of his 33FC and take us on an unexpected ride all before he was due to be at work.
Many thanks to Critt for his hospitality, insight and time.
The big takeaway for me is that I don't see anything on a Bluebird that if it breaks I can't fix it or get it fixed. Lots of systems but most from I see are easy to maintain and upgrade as needed.
I was surprised how big a 33 ft Bluebird feels inside and am interested to see if a 35 or larger begins to feel too large.
Critt has his bus dialed in for his use with some very cool mods to cabinetry. The one thing that is for sure is that Mrs. wants the rear bed layout same as his. No rear bath for us for sure so that is progress. The side bath is indeed small but the square footage used for the rear bath would be too much for us to justify. I don't loiter in the bathroom and we normally set up an outside shower so the smaller bath is fine.
250hp seems plenty for the 33 as Critt's FC moved right along. I could see a 210hp version in a 35 being a challenge to my patience so I'll keep that in mind.
The Forward motor was noticeable but again I was pleased by relatively low engine noise while underway. Definitely doable.
As everyone has told me the Bluebird is a rugged sucker. If we find the right one I am confident I could keep one on the road for the longterm.
Thanks again to Critt Bliss for showing us Blissfull Daze. We greatly appreciate him taking the time.
We are headed south the first week of November with the fiver from Cape Cod to Charleston, SC and then on to Port Charlotte, Florida until the 9th when we deadhead home.
Anyone along the 95 corridor or on the west coast of Florida want to give a tour of their FC or PT or SP to a couple of wannabees?
One down and many more to go we hope.

Last edited by xbskt; 10-20-2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: text layout
Old 10-20-2018

My pleasure Jeff! Happy hunting!
Cape Cod,ma
Old 10-21-2018
Forum owner

Crit is an ambassador to the Wanderlodge and to the WOG.
The first time i met him he took over my kitchen!
And has done that again on many,many visits!

I know where theres a very nice 91 SP36,if your interested.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-05-2018

A good day in the Wanderlodge hunt.
We met Carmine and his wife Rexanne and got an in depth tour of their PT35 from 1983. Well cared for coach for sure. We liked the look and I like the aura of the Detroit diesel. Without the mid entry door it felt bigger overall inside. Like most BB theirs had been customized by the factory and it was cool to see how different these buses can be inside the same footprint.
A crane on the roof!? Why was I not told about this?
While sitting in the PT's pilots seat my phone rang and it was Tony the "frustrated mechanic" offering to meet up to show Gatorgrl (Dana) and his FC35 (also from 83) to us this same afternoon. A good day continues.
I am finding I like things about both models but I think 35 36 is going to be plenty for the Mrs. Me and two Pugs.
Gatorgrl's FC is like a time capsule inside looking unused in many places and I loved the lack of a TV dominating the salon. They too had modified some things to suit their needs which driving home the fact that we will probably be doing the same. The FC felt like it might suit our tendency to cook outdoors with the mid door and the kitchen right inside. Once again the rear bedroom was a hit with the Mrs.
The FC seemed to have the edge in storage underneath but on both I am finding storage in chassis to be less than I had expected. I would appreciate a pass thru like I have on the fiver but there will be a toad to stash stuff. We travel relatively light so not a deal breaker. The LED lights made the FC nice and bright inside so good job there Dana. I will have that on my to do list.
Many thanks to Dana and Tony for taking time out of their days off to show us their bus they so obviously love.
What did we learn?
Well we saw a PT and an FC ironically the same year and color and the same length.
What we now believe is that 35 feet is the sweet spot for us with under bus storage being the only negative I come away with but that will be manageable with the right trailer or toad.
We also see pros and cons to both front and rear engines and also front and mid entry doors. No deal breakers between the two really.
Detroit 92 series and Cat 3208 both have good qualities and neither one scares me if cared for previously.
So onward we go. A week off in Florida and then a trip home for surgeries and another winter of work.
We know now that we like 35 feet and rear bed. The rest is still up for debate.
I think an SP will be next.
If the trend continues it will come down to the right coach coming along at the right time.
A replacement fifth wheel is still on the table. It would be a lot easier and cheaper but I am not the kind of guy to save money for a nicer coffin.
Enjoy the ride.