Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-24-2008
Senior

Lee you dont need to replace anything. Did someone tell you that it was necessary? You already should have a freedom 2500 installed as OEM equipment and it will provide power to your TV icemaker etc. If you changed the wiring just a little it will also provide power to your microwave and then you wont have to start your generator when you stop for a while to eat and watch TV.
6V92
Old 12-25-2008

Replacing the inverter one for one as wired looks easy, and I can do that myself no problem. Selecting where to place the new remote, running the wiring to it is tougher, but I can still get that done.

Rewiring which 110 volt circuits the inverter feeds (though a subpanel?) looks more difficult - and I have never done that type work. When I start to fulltime, I will head to Oklahoma (Lawton area) then towards Rockport TX from OK, then towards FL Gulf coast to the keys.

Who would be a good choice in those areas for the 110 volt rewire/subpanel to feed fewer coach circuits on the inverter?

The inverter now feeds EVERY 110 circuit on the coach, I need the AC's off, engine preheat off, hot water electric off as a min. I know any electrican could do the work based on my specific requests, but a electrican (or qualified amatuer) who also understands inverters and rv usage would likely give the better plan and final results.

Thanks,
Dan
94 BB BMC 37'
Old 12-25-2008

One more strange thing on my current Heart HD2800 1994 inverter and it's wiring setup.

This inverter does not charge the batteries whether it is turned on or offf. Has not since I bought the coach. It left the factory with 2 45 amp converter/chargers fed into the battery isolator, one on the chasiss post and one on the coach house post. I never investigated why the inverter does not charge the batteries, I only replaced the dumb chargers with a smart charger.

Dan
Old 12-26-2008

Dan,
There's a great fellow birder about 25 or 30 miles east of Lawton. He's a certified RV tech, loves birds and loves working and chatting about them. Electrics are a favorite of his. On top of all this, he's extremely reasonable! If you're interested, let me know and I'll find his contact info.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
One more strange thing on my current Heart HD2800 1994 inverter and it's wiring setup.

This inverter does not charge the batteries whether it is turned on or offf. Has not since I bought the coach. It left the factory with 2 45 amp converter/chargers fed into the battery isolator, one on the chasiss post and one on the coach house post. I never investigated why the inverter does not charge the batteries, I only replaced the dumb chargers with a smart charger.

Dan
My 1992 vintage Heart inverter that I replaced did not have a battery charger built in, and therefore Bluebird added external battery chargers to the coach. More than likely your Heart is similar, and did not have a battery charger circuit built in.

One quick way to determine this is, if the inverter has no AC input to the inverter, and only has a DC input and an AC output, it wll not have a battery charger built in. In the case of my old Heart, it only had a DC input and an AC output.

But there are also cases where an inverter will have an AC input, DC input, and a AC output and still not have a charger. Some people prefer it that way, and the primary reason why is if the inverter dies and if it is also your battery charger, then you lose the charger circuit, as well as when you pull it and send it to service, you are without the battery charger. So they prefer to have a seperate battery charger circuit. My response, to each his own!
Georgetown, TX
Old 12-26-2008
Senior

Dad it appears from your description that the chargers were incorrectly connected to the isolator. A simple thing to remember is that all things that produce power (generator, chargers, alternators) should be connected to the center post of the isolator and the battery banks should be connected to the outside posts.

I do not have the schematic for your BMC but I doubt if it is very different then the other BB coaches. I installed a sub panel in both my 1982 FC35 and my present 1985 PT40 and I dont believe you would have any problem doing the same thing to your BMC with a few simple instructions. I have helped other forum members thru this over the telephone before.
\But from your description I find it difficult that BB would connect all of your 120VAC systems in the coach to this inverter since the inverter is only capable of producing 2000 watts. That would preclude you using the toaster and coffee maker at the same time. Have you ever shut off the inverter (actually turned the power off to it) when connected to shore power and see if everything still works?

If I had the two drawings, one for the 12VDC system and one for the 120VAC systems in your coach to include the main power panel I would be glad to tell you how it works and how to rewire it so you could add a subpanel to your coach.

Oh and one more thing that is important. Even though we buy these 3 stage chargers and think the batteries will be fine after this we forget that our alternators are NOT a 3 stage device so they sometimes boil the devil out of our batteries. If you check your batteries and they have corrosion on the terminals it is probably cause by the alternator not regulating the voltage well. I recommend highly the way that Shane Fedeli corrected his by going to a Baldor (Xantrex) 3 stage voltage regulator that you can add to your alternator to give you as near to a perfect system as you can get.

good luck
6V92

Last edited by warbucks13477; 12-26-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: thought of something else
Old 12-26-2008
Former Bird Owner

You can also use a Link 2000 R controller -- it controls the chargers AND the alternator (that's the "R" in the name).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 12-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucks13477 View Post
Oh and one more thing that is important. Even though we buy these 3 stage chargers and think the batteries will be fine after this we forget that our alternators are NOT a 3 stage device so they sometimes boil the devil out of our batteries. If you check your batteries and they have corrosion on the terminals it is probably cause by the alternator not regulating the voltage well. I recommend highly the way that Shane Fedeli corrected his by going to a Baldor (Xantrex) 3 stage voltage regulator that you can add to your alternator to give you as near to a perfect system as you can get.

good luck
As I had stated in an earlier message, the Xantrex Alternator regulator can not just be installed on any alternator. The reason is, most of these alternators have built in regulators or built in rectifiers that will not allow the Xantrex Alternator regulator to work. On my '92 WB40, I will have to pull both alternators and convert them from 'N' type to 'P' type in order to use my Xantrex Alternator Regulator. See this Xantrex link below on how to convert an 'N' type alternator to an 'P' type alternator with exeternal regulator

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/760/DocServe.aspx
Georgetown, TX
Old 12-26-2008
Senior

See Michael I made an assumption. I figured that anyone that was bright enough to buy a baldor external 3 stage regulator would already know after reading the directions supplied with it that you have to dismantle the interior regulator and do the modifications. But of course you are right I forgot that some people just tear the box apart and install it, blow the alternator and then ask what happened?
6V92
Old 12-26-2008

I'm on temporary hold on the inverter project. Plan to have the house on the market 1st week Jan. Still some painting to do, making piles for charity, yard sale, storage, and starting to move into the BB on the side yard - so the house will stay ready for show at all times. Wife and I still working full time as well.

In about 1 -2 weeks all the house stuff will be pretty much done, and I will have some time for BB projects until the house actually sells - then it will get busy again. Snowed today here in Albuquerque - which isn't helping getting everything done.

The advice has been great, and I sure have a lot of investigating, planning, then implementation to do the inverter up "right".

I also still have my Unified Tow brake system to install in the Bird and tow car. I did get my internet system installed in the bird - I will make a post on what that is.

Thanks!
Dan