Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-01-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Another use for the old Triad Charger Battery Boiler

A lot of us have found out that the old Triad "BATTERY BOILER" battery chargers have died and they usually get thrown away, well I revived mine, or should I say a buddy of mine did that for me and I have been carrying it with me to use as a spare charger, or to lend out to others if their charger has quit on them at a rally, or to use to charge the batteries in another vehicle and even to hook up to the battery terminals of one of my house batteries while dry camping, but that involved moving the charger hooking up the battery cables and using an extension cable.

Now all I do is change the battery cables with the clamps on the end, to the cables that I have wired into the house battery bank by switching them out by the quick connect ends that I have installed, makes the job a lot easier, plus the power to operate the Triad now will come from my Buddy plug that runs off of the generator, when I'm dry camping.

This sure beats dragging the thing out onto the ground and it should help charge the house batteries quicker.........you know.........MORE POWER!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	INVERTER - CHARGER COMPARTMENT m.jpg
Views:	1349
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	19802  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
A lot of us have found out that the old Triad "BATTERY BOILER" battery chargers have died and they usually get thrown away, well I revived mine, or should I say a buddy of mine did that for me and I have been carrying it with me to use as a spare charger, or to lend out to others if their charger has quit on them at a rally, or to use to charge the batteries in another vehicle and even to hook up to the battery terminals of one of my house batteries while dry camping, but that involved moving the charger hooking up the battery cables and using an extension cable.

Now all I do is change the battery cables with the clamps on the end, to the cables that I have wired into the house battery bank by switching them out by the quick connect ends that I have installed, makes the job a lot easier, plus the power to operate the Triad now will come from my Buddy plug that runs off of the generator, when I'm dry camping.

This sure beats dragging the thing out onto the ground and it should help charge the house batteries quicker.........you know.........MORE POWER!!!

While I was here at Key West I removed the old 40 amp Triad charger and I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics 80 amp charger/converter seen at lower right that I purchased Mark Bragdon, he had used it for less than a year, he has replaced it with one that works better with his new solar panels. The Progressive Dynamics 80 amp charger/converter is identical to the one I already have installed on the upper shelf and gives me a total of 160 amps charging but only when the generator is running as the additional one is plugged into my 50 amp buddy plug, that is great for dry camping.

I filled the 'Bird up with diesel today and I used on the average 3 gallons of fuel for each day that I have been dry camping here at Key West and I have been operating the Powertech Generator for at least 4 hours per day 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night to run the 2 battery chargers and 1 airconditioner to help balance the load to charge the 6 golf cart batteries and also some afternoons for an additional 2 hours to run the 3 air conditioners for my afternoon nap, but that didn't happen every day..........the air conditioner part that is.

You can see that I have switched back to using my old Vector Inverter on the bottom left because I'm also going to replace the Cobra Inverter on the top left that doesn't work as well as I thought that it would, it could just be a problem that is covered under the two year warranty and I plan on sending it back for a warranty exchange, but I have still been looking for another Vector 3000 / 6000 watt inverter and I finally found one and purchased it last week, they sent it to Ryan Sarri for me and he will bring it to Flywheelers and I will install it there. I will have to move some things around in the compartment to get both of the taller Vector inverters in there, but I don't think that will be that difficult to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADD CHARGER.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	20256  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-16-2013

John with all the birds at the rally and a little luck you may get a nap in while it is being installed
Old 02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomas View Post
John with all the birds at the rally and a little luck you may get a nap in while it is being installed

So your saying if I just lay the new inverter down next to the open compartment and put all the proper tools down next to it, then go inside and take my nap, that it should all be done when I wake up? I don't think so, with the group of trouble makers that will be there and with my luck they will take the new inverter and the tools and hide them from me, some of these guys are the same ones that took me to a truck parts store then dropped me off in front and when I came back out they were gone I ended up having to call them on the phone to find out where they went, they decided to go look through the adjoining junk yard for a while, you know they are, or should I say the ring leader is easily distracted by junk yards

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-17-2013
Forum owner

There was some cool stuff in the junk yard!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com