Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-26-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M. View Post
I put up 4, 6 volt batteries. Going to hook them up in series/parallel configuration. I don’t know who here said 4/0 welding cable is best, but I picked up 100’ for less than scrap cost. I want to put in a disconnect for obvious reasons. There is a rotary type disconnect currently on the house batteries. I was contemplating using the “Battery Doctor “ blade disconnect.

I have 2 questions,
1 Is this disconnect heavy enough. It’s rated 250 amps continuous and 750 surge.

2 I have seen different opinions on breaking the negative side and not the positive. Current disconnect breaks the positive. The disconnect pictured says to break the negative.

Attachment 54588
0) 4/0 cable is use to power up inverters/chargers where currents can get as high as 200-300 amps. But to cable up between batteries can be much smaller. Let's use 200 amps for an example. If you have a series/parallel setup with 4 batteries then each series battery bank will see 100 amps. I run six 6v batteries and use 1/0 to hook them up.

1) 250 amps continuous and 750 surge is "Ok" for most setups. It doesn't hurt to over kill here so try to buy with rating double what you expect to be running continuous. I try not to have switches between the batteries and the starter. When I do it's to pull in another battery bank to an existing hard wired set.

2) Electrically breaking the positive or negative makes no difference. But real world breaking the negative is better. Anytime you need to work on a battery, install a shunt, or a cut off work the negative side. The Positive side can be wired direct to the load. When you need to remove voltage from a battery it's much safer to remove the negative side because if you accidentally hit the chassis or ground it doesn't matter, no welding your tool to the chassis. Once ground is removed the positive wires have no place for current to flow. (BUT, always fuse the positive lead.)
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509