Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-27-2009

Default 300 Amp DD 60 Alternator failure

The alternator on my 95 Bird came apart today and sprayed oil. It appears that the bolts somehow came out of the back half of the alternator causing it to open up.

I caught the problem early (no more than 60 miles down the road, as near as I can tell) and didn't seem to lose much oil from the engine. I had the coach towed to Cheyenne Freightliner in WY (closest location to where I was at the time) and they have now pronounced the alternator trashed after a quick look inside the engine compartment.

They have no clue where to find a replacement (especially since it is now 9:00 PM MST before they took a quick look) and have said a replacement may not even be available - which makes little sense to me.

I don't have the part number yet, but my primary question is - wouldn't it seem likely that this alternator could be repaired. I tried putting 2 of the bolts that had come out (found in the engine compartment) back in, but although the bolts seem fine, the threads internal to the alternator seem stripped since it wouldn't tighten back up.

Any thoughts for solutions, repairs or sources for a replacement alternator?

Edit: I've attached a photo of the alternator just after I discovered the leak early this afternoon.

Thanks,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternator_leak.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1946  

Bruce & Linda
1995 PT42WB (SOLD)
2004 Toyota Land Cruiser on a trailer

Last edited by trendycat; 05-27-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 05-28-2009

Bruce, I would think at 9 pm you were dealing with the "B" team. When the day crew shows up they may have the answer. Unless extensive internal damage (stator/fields) I would think the housing could be repaired at the right shop. Good luck.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-28-2009
Forum owner

i bet those bolt holes can be repaired,Heli-coils can fix most any stripped thread.
thats a very expensive alternator,i'm sure it can be repaired.
you may have to run it to Dever,if they can't do it locally.
Insist on getting an alternator shop to look it over.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-28-2009

I agree with Randy on this one.

Heli-coils should be able to repair the threads in that case. A machine shop, an alterator repair shop, or a well equipped mechanic ought to be able to fix it. Once repairs are done on the threads have it checked at an alternator shop and you may be good to go. I would think worse case would be the heli-coils and maybe some bearings.

Best of luck,
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 05-28-2009

Obviously something else to look at when in the bay, the alternator bolts!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 05-28-2009

Looks like my only option here is to wait for a reman alternator to come in from Albuquerque and have that installed. Talk about bucks Looks like $1600 for the reman unit, shipping and labor will be another $1400. I think I'm getting seriously abused but while the suggestions here about heli coils, etc. seem good (and would probably work), my wife is uncomfortable about distance travel without a complete fix

Can't say much positive about Cheyenne Freightliner other than they have been very polite. They clearly don't service buses or RV's often enough (even though they have 3 school buses and 2 RV's in their service yard right now, in addition to us and they reserve their highest labor rate of $130/hr for them) since they have no hookups at all for RV's, not even a simple 30 or 50 amp plug. I guess they just leave the RV's sitting and allow the batteries to die if it takes too long to service them.

I put the 3 bolts that I had left into the alternator and hoped they would hold well enough to make the 3 mile run to the nearest campground. It seems to have worked, so we'll be sitting here for the next 2 days until they will supposedly be ready to get us in first thing on Saturday morning after the reman alternator comes in.

Fortunately Coachnet covered the towing from along I-25 60 miles north of Cheyenne and they did a terrific job of carefully towing the fully loaded bird. I would highly recommend I-80 Towing based out of Laramie and Cheyenne, WY if anyone should have the misfortune to be stuck along the side of the road here in the near middle of nowhere.

Still not sure why all of the bolts would have come out of the unit. I read a service bulletin about replacement of the back cover that pointed out how that could be bolted on incorrectly, but my alternator separated at the joint in the middle, not an area that would seem to be part of any seal replacement (such as the pulley seal on the front).

Hopefully we've reached the end of major failure/repair territory for the time being (once this is done and I find a shop to replace the generator cooling fan) and we can get back to traveling in a relatively trouble free fashion.

Thanks for all the input - I learn more every time I ask a question.

Bruce

Bruce & Linda
1995 PT42WB (SOLD)
2004 Toyota Land Cruiser on a trailer
Old 05-28-2009

Not that this helps much now, but here's a good thread from Kurt about our 50DN alternators.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=2670

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 05-28-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: forgot the link!
Old 05-28-2009
Forum owner

wow,thats some stiff labor rates.
I've changed one of those big alternators one time,at the rally in the valley.
John has proof the event!
it took about 3 of us to get that heavy thing in place,and no more than 2 hours and a 6 pack!
i need to look mine over real good,i want to know what it takes to plug those oil lines so i can plug them and drive it home if need be.
I drove my 84 all the way home from Minot ND after the alternator went bad,i ran the generator to charge the batteries,and to keep the ACs running.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-28-2009

Default bolts

bolts are too short on my 96 causing oil leak. replace bolts with 1/2 longer.
I did
Old 05-28-2009

Default Ebay

Item number: 260164524886
Ebay, don't know if this is the same.
Peter Haggins
78 35' FC
Prairie Dog