Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 10-31-2018

Default 120V portable air compressor recommendations.

BMC owner looking for a portable air compressor to air up bus and tires. As I understand it there is no OEM auxiliary air compressor on the BMC's to do this.

I would like to hear recommendations on a portable air compressor that could air up air bags and more importantly air up tires. My tires run 110 psi.

I have read some of you are using the portal cable 6gal 150psi air compressor. Will this little guy inflate your tires to desired air pressure?

PO proudly installed a HF compressor for this reason, however it went belly up after my first use, there is no warranty. HF laughed at me when I asked about warranty. I laugh at myself for even trying.

Jim.
Old 10-31-2018

I like my California Air Tools one. It's 5 CFM. I do have a Porter Cable pancake that I keep in the bus. It works but it is very slow to build air (2 CFM)

If it's just for tires, why not just buy a Nitrogen Bottle. I have one and you can turn up the output pressure to 180 or so, so you can get a tire filled up pronto.
40CF bottle from AirGas was $100. Reg and hose was less than $50.

Or you can always just start the main engine and use that air.

Since battery tools have advanced I never use air tools anymore. Not even in the shop.
2000 LX40 ME "Angry Bird!"
Body# 129047
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 10-31-2018

I bought a California Air Tools tiny little air compressor. HERE'S A LINK

It's slow (1.4 CFM, but it goes to 125 PSI and it's nearly silent. No joke, if it's behind a door you basically will not hear it run. It also starts on an inverter without any trouble and only takes 4.5amps running. It's so small you can easily remove it from the bus and take it somewhere else to plug it in and use it, too. I love the thing. But if you use it to air up the bus you will want to plumb it into the air dryer or put a dryer on it to keep moisture out.

They make higher flowing units for not a lot of money that are still very quiet, but this is their quietest and I don't mind letting it chug along for a while in silence to air up the bus at a campground.
Old 10-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I bought a California Air Tools tiny little air compressor. HERE'S A LINK

It's slow (1.4 CFM, but it goes to 125 PSI and it's nearly silent. No joke, if it's behind a door you basically will not hear it run. It also starts on an inverter without any trouble and only takes 4.5amps running. It's so small you can easily remove it from the bus and take it somewhere else to plug it in and use it, too. I love the thing. But if you use it to air up the bus you will want to plumb it into the air dryer or put a dryer on it to keep moisture out.

They make higher flowing units for not a lot of money that are still very quiet, but this is their quietest and I don't mind letting it chug along for a while in silence to air up the bus at a campground.
I second the vote for California Air. You will not believe how quiet it is
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 10-31-2018

Thanks for the in put ..
The California air that your recommending is it 120 PSI?
My garage compressor is a 125 PSI 40 GAL, and it wont top off my tiers, to 110psi. That is why I thought I needed a 150 psi compressor.
Old 10-31-2018

Mine goes to 120-130 depending on sun spot activity that day. I used it to top off one tire to 110, and I've let it pump up my bus to 125ish a few times from completely empty.
Old 10-31-2018

I replaced my Gast auxiliary compressor and Thomas 12V air toilet compressor with a Makita portable model MAC2400 compressor. It can pump up the auxiliary and brake air systems, the tires, the air toilet before I got rid of it, run small air tools, anything I need. It is rated for 130 psi, but I adjusted the pressure switch cut-out set point up to 140 psi. It works best though if it is running when inflating the front tires to 110 psi, that way the pressure switch cut-in pressure, which is also 110 psi is not working against you. It has a 30 minute duty cycle, which is more than ample for pumping up the bus air systems, has a heavy duty oil filled compressor and 2.5 HP motor. It will not start on an inverter fed circuit though, only shore or generator power. I like it much better than the original BB configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	58693  

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42
Old 10-31-2018

I have a California 15020C. Really puts out and is QUIET! No problem airing tires.

Carmine Pacchino
Ft Myers Beach, FL
'83 PT35
Old 11-01-2018

California Air Tools 5510, removed the compressor from the tank and mounted in the bay where the factory one had been. Very quiet and powerful. I use it to air up quickly and to inflate tires @110psi.

Bill & Tracy Lott
87 FC35 "Traveller"
Shalimar, Florida
Old 11-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Latitude View Post
California Air Tools 5510, removed the compressor from the tank and mounted in the bay where the factory one had been. Very quiet and powerful. I use it to air up quickly and to inflate tires @110psi.
I'm thinking about such an arrangement with a Cal, myself -- maybe where the Redi-Line currently resides.

Carmine Pacchino
Ft Myers Beach, FL
'83 PT35