Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-27-2020

Default PT35 electrical questions

So, I finally have shore power established on our bus. Fortunately most things work, but testing has led to a few questions that I have so far been unable to answer.

For the record, there is no redi-line or inverter. Also, I can’t find an AC schematic, is one available anywhere?

Can the transfer relay behind the galley be eliminated?

What are the power sources for the propane and basement compartment outlets, also the TV outlet in the bedroom?

Can the electric heaters be powered without 12v turned on? In regards to this, there seems to be some ambiguity depending on the version of the manual. Some say the 3 drivers overhead switches must be ON for both heat and air. One said switches off for heat and on for ac.

Lastly, my dinette control panel volt meters and polarity led’s are non functional. Is this panel 120v or 12v powered and where does the AC voltage for the meters originate.

Thanks all,

Tom
Old 03-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Erin View Post
So, I finally have shore power established on our bus. Fortunately most things work, but testing has led to a few questions that I have so far been unable to answer.

For the record, there is no redi-line or inverter. Also, I can’t find an AC schematic, is one available anywhere?

What are the power sources for the propane and basement compartment outlets, also the TV outlet in the bedroom?

Can the electric heaters be powered without 12v turned on? In regards to this, there seems to be some ambiguity depending on the version of the manual. Some say the 3 drivers overhead switches must be ON for both heat and air. One said switches off for heat and on for ac.

Lastly, my dinette control panel volt meters and polarity led’s are non functional. Is this panel 120v or 12v powered and where does the AC voltage for the meters originate.

Thanks all,

Tom
I can answer the questions based on what I know on our 84.. maybe someone with an 83 will confirm.

There should be an AC schematic in the archives I will look and post a link once I find one. If not I think I have a picture of mine.

You can eliminate the relay if you plan on not using an inverter or plan on changing the way you want it to work. I have kept it and I have a new 120v fridge that runs off the inverter when we are on the road or dry camping. Good thing is that the relay is only energized on shore power, so it does not consume any power when on inverter it is spring loaded.

There is a gfi breaker in my panel that feeds the outside outlets and the bathroom I believe. Check for tripped gfi’s.

The electric heater in the bathroom comes on anytime. The rest of the electric heaters require that the switches over the driver be turned on. Mine can run the air and the heat at the same time, there is no interlock.

The 120v meters come right off a 120v source. Not sure where they are tied in. Not so sure on the polarity meter. Does the while control board work? If not there is usually an electronic master switch, it’s located in the front driver side overhead compartment where the drape motor sits. May be in a different location for yours..

Hope this helps...

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 03-27-2020
Gardner

The ac and polarity system on the panel was the cause of tripping GFI shore power outlets, some people just disconnected it . There is a fix that uses different LEDs and resistors, it is described somewhere in the forum data base I believe.
The panel is a 12 volt system, only the meters and polarity part is 110 volt AC.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-27-2020

Here is the one in the database for an 84.. do not see one for an 83 right off:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ction%2010.pdf

Here is the picture of mine:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F2130C0-4DF6-4C36-AE62-9AD673542BD7.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	67083

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
Old 03-27-2020
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
Here is the one in the database for an 84.. do not see one for an 83 right off:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ction%2010.pdf

Here is the picture of mine:
Attachment 67083
This diagram looks more like an FC than a PT. However there are a lot of similarities.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
This diagram looks more like an FC than a PT. However there are a lot of similarities.
The one from the database could be for an FC, the blueprint is right out of my blue box and is for my 84 PT

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
Old 03-27-2020

Thanks to 1984 for the diagram. Hopefully that will help chasing things down. I also got a plug in circuit tester to help catalogue what works and how.

To answer some questions, the “board” partially works. I get tank monitor, gas sniffer, temp. It appears the polarity mod had been done, amber instead of green led’s. It’s a major wiring rats nest behind, gonna take a bit to start sorting it out.

I don’t recall seeing another master switch. There is a big battery disconnect near the parking brake knob. I’ll have to do some more checking.

And, before I go rooting around too deeply, does anyone know if the aircons and heaters both have wiring at the relays in the closet, or do they “gang” somewhere else? I am pretty sure mine need the switches on to run either, but it would be really nice to have the heaters on when switched off and air when switched on so I can have heat on the coach without having 12v powered.

Thanks again for the great response
Old 03-27-2020

Quote:
I've found the FC schematics match the old PT pretty well, but I haven't seen an AC one for the old PT.
Quote:
There isn't a relay back there from the factory that I know of. It's just a giant mechanical rotary switch under the stove in mine
Quote:
There is a breaker, bottom-left on my breaker box in the closet, that goes out there by the propane. It's a GFCI breaker IIRC. TV outlet in the bedroom, I don't remember, but it might have come from the redi-line if it had one originally?
Quote:
On mine the switch has to be on in order to use the heater or the a/c. In fact you can flip the switch on and turn on an a/c and a heater at the same time. Well for a short time until the breaker pops. And you need 12v, yes - the coils on the contactors in the closet are 12v.
Quote:
I don't actually know where the AC power comes from.
Quote:
To answer some questions, the “board” partially works. I get tank monitor, gas sniffer, temp. It appears the polarity mod had been done, amber instead of green led’s. It’s a major wiring rats nest behind, gonna take a bit to start sorting it out.
Call me if you need help with any of this, I am pretty familiar with it all.
Quote:
I don’t recall seeing another master switch. There is a big battery disconnect near the parking brake knob. I’ll have to do some more checking.
On my bus it's on the driver's side, in the upper airline cabinet, on the back wall of that cabinet. Black toggle switch out in the open. It says "electronic master" if the tag is still there. This circuit gets power even if the big cutoff switch under the dash is turned off. It keeps the radio memory, 12v to the fridge, and that's about it, going.
Quote:
And, before I go rooting around too deeply, does anyone know if the aircons and heaters both have wiring at the relays in the closet, or do they “gang” somewhere else? I am pretty sure mine need the switches on to run either, but it would be really nice to have the heaters on when switched off and air when switched on so I can have heat on the coach without having 12v powered.
It's 1 heater + 1 A/C on the same breaker in mine.
Quote:
Thanks again for the great response
Don't hate me on that heater, I still need to get it done!
Old 03-28-2020

Default FC Electrical

It might not be the same on your PT but our 1980 FC had a switch over the bed that turned the TV outlet on or off. It was not marked and took a while to find.
1980 FC Sold
Old 03-28-2020

I will check that today and report. Last time I looked under there, it looked like a zillion switches and controls.

And Andy, no worries on the heater, been a year working on this thing and I’m just now getting AC power established, checked, etc. Then, hopefully I can get the plumbing in and everything reassembled.