Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-03-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Gah I hate when that happens.
Hah!
But your right,speedy sleave and pack t with grease,no more leaks.
Semi trailers don't use oil hubs much anymore,too many leaks,they use a grease thats like jello when sitting,goes liquid when the wheels turn.
I forget the name...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-03-2019

My 78 FC had grease front hubs, no oil.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 04-03-2019

I have heard that there is a two piece seal that can be mated to the spindle and the other piece inserted into the hub and the sealing takes place between the two pieces of the seal.
"The Aviary"
Old 04-03-2019

Yeah there's some kind of weird synthetic alien grease stuff they use now that cures Prop 65 disease.
Old 04-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
I bet people passing by and saw all those repair trucks, thought you must be someone famous or important Of course I know different
Might have been different if I had the shoe mounted.

I have used the tech since to do some PM while passing thru Santa Barbara CA. Tim Parks (805) 331-2815 . we set up near a truck parts supplier so I can run parts by walking across the street. On the phone his rate was $95. an hour but when he showed, he tried to get $150. since it was a motor home. I was able to convince him it was a dump truck with awnings, and the only way he would know it was a motorhome is if I made him coffee. The conversation went to why there was such a difference because I know class 8 truck owners can be way more picky then motor home owners. boils down to 'because we can'.
Old 04-03-2019

when you look at the options. I would seek out a on site axle repair guy who can machine down the area behind the axle nut that hold the bearing. that person would be able to source a bearing to fit the cut and hub.

the end of cut surface for the bearing does not matter that much (muffed edges where the bearing hit as it rolled on the axle) because the bearing taper compensates with the hub distance, and really, the only issue is if that now muffed shoulder is not back far enough for the nut to pull the bearing in enough for the the bearing taper to pinch the drum tighter to the desired float with oil or grease.
Issues like this show up as heat and sound to warn needed attention. the only way you know the heat is 'off the scale of normal' is to have a map of temps with parameters. Once repair is finished you can start recording temps after stops with parameters like ambient and hours of operation. then check the opposite side for comparative like temps. heat is relative to all things being the same so if you change oil to the axle paste, the comparison may not be the same across the otherside unless you change that as well.

One other note about heat, I run oem engineered thermostats and keep the engine fan over ride off so I can see a warning of heat above engineers design limits. Problem with artificially keeping an engine cool is you don't reduce stress you are only reducing heat. extra cooling to compensate for high and dry ambient temps might be a good idea but other things like engine computer cooling (using diesel fuel in your tank) and passive component cooling not monitored get affected and not addressed.
Old 04-04-2019

Well $#!+ Randy!!! I’m in Alaska right now the bus is in Austin and had horrible service, just now saw all these posts. Axle has been cut and welded to a tune of $2500.
I at least have a 1yr. Warranty/guarante and in 10 Mo. and 18,000 mi. The same shop will be getting a visit from me and will be doing a tear down of that wheel to do a Visiual inspection!