Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Ladies > Ladies General Discussion

Ladies General Discussion Discussion of general topics that the ladies of WOG may find interesting to talk about.

Site Search:

Old 10-29-2012

Default New to Rv'en & need some advice

Hello Ladies

My Hubbie recently came home with a little Bluebird in hand as a surprise.
I want to go somewhere for Thanksgiving to take her on our first voyage, and started thinking about packing dishes and items for a small thanksgiving dinner. I was contemplating how to pack china for a nice dinner setting, then thought about things getting bounced around, I have not been in a RV before so I do not know how smooth of a ride it is. What I'm wanting to know is do you need to stack dished any special way so they are safe in the cabinets? Should I put felt or non-slip stuff between the dishes to protect them?
If anyone wants to share any words of wisdom to a total newbie to rv's please share (things to take, how to pack, storage ideals, what to take)
I'd really be most grateful for any help I can get.

Thanks Tina
Old 10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethatsme View Post
Hello Ladies

My Hubbie recently came home with a little Bluebird in hand as a surprise.
I want to go somewhere for Thanksgiving to take her on our first voyage, and started thinking about packing dishes and items for a small thanksgiving dinner. I was contemplating how to pack china for a nice dinner setting, then thought about things getting bounced around, I have not been in a RV before so I do not know how smooth of a ride it is. What I'm wanting to know is do you need to stack dished any special way so they are safe in the cabinets? Should I put felt or non-slip stuff between the dishes to protect them?
If anyone wants to share any words of wisdom to a total newbie to rv's please share (things to take, how to pack, storage ideals, what to take)
I'd really be most grateful for any help I can get.

Thanks Tina
Tina,
First of all welcome to the wonderful world of Bluebirds and RVing in general. You will have the time of your life.
Buy yourself some of the foam no slip shelf liner. Most of it is woven and has holes in it but they do have solid. I like the woven because it is usually thiner. Cut pieces of the liner to size and place between your dishes and stack them as you would at home. No rattle and no slide. You can use it between pots and pans and so on. It works well on the bottom of lamps and other items to keep them from sliding around, but it usually is best to remove all items from counters and table tops, and stow them.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 10-29-2012

Tina,

Welcome to the world of the Wanderlodge!

Looks like you have the same the same year and model coach as mine.

I can tell you, the SP36, and all Wanderlodges in general, handle pretty well. You normally won't see a lot of belongings flying out of cabinets or getting banged around. Things will most likely stay just where you put them.

Now here are the things to watch out for:
-Don't take corners too quickly. That's a really good way to get things falling out of cabinets and countertops.
-Watch out for curbs. The coach will easily drive over a curb but the bounce will jostle things quite a bit.
-Go slow on railroad tracks. I guess that's obvious, but it's another way to get stuff bouncing around.

As long as you drive in a reasonable way, the coach absorbs most of the road bumps, and your belongings should be safe. Enjoy your new Bird, and welcome to the fun!

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 10-29-2012

We do nothing to pack tableware and can't remember loosing so much as a champagne flute.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 10-29-2012

Default New to Rv'en & need some advice

Dear Newbie,

We've been on the road now for almost five years. And I can say that no, the ride isn't always smooth; in fact, it's pretty bumpy much of the time, due to the deteriorating condition of much of our infrastructure. But the freedom to move our home from place to place, and take in the wonders of our beautiful country is more than worth it. We still have, intact, a set of four holiday glass dishes I bought after Christmas at SteinMart: dinner plates, salad plates, cereal bowls, & two mugs. (why they were so reasonable!) We've only lost 1 of the salad plates during the entire time. I've just used the non-slip stuff between three good dessert plates we brought along. If you're planning on taking expensive china, definitely do put the non-slip material between the plates. Pack with an eye to what might fall out of the cupboard after a bumpy stretch. And always open the cupboard doors very slowly when you stop for the night!

For Thanksgiving dinner (Christmas, for us): I make Paula Deen's take on the standard green bean casserole (we have just a microwave/convection oven) ahead of time, to reheat when dinner's ready; do the dressing in our small 2-qt slow cooker; make spiced cranberry/pear relish several days ahead; pumpkin pie early in the morning; potatoes & gravy are done on the two propane burners; & the turkey breast in a roasting bag in the oven, watching it closely & covering with foil when it starts to show signs of over-browning. Takes a lot of time, but the results are worth it, esp. having your own leftovers. :-)

I recommend making a list a few days prior to departure, of all you'll need in the way of cooking utensils, dinnerware, clothing, etc. - you didn't say how long you'll be gone. Since we full-time, that wasn't a problem. Regardless, it does take time, thought, & practice. You learn as you go. Hope this helps...Happy Thanksgiving! And happy travels - you'll love it!

Margaret
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 10-29-2012
Gardner

We use heavy socks with elastic tops to put glassware in when traveling (new socks that is). Everyday dishes stack fine, if you are bringing fine china then take precautions. The ride depends on the road, some highways are terrible (like heading into Oakloma City). We used to way overpack for RVing. Every trip when we get home we take out the stuff we never used and have reduced the clutter to a manageable size. Try to take cloths that don't need special cleaning procedures. No need for formal wear unless you plan to go somewhere that requires it. Just everyday cloths for travel and somethng for perhaps a higher end resturant if that is in the plan.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-29-2012

I would highly recommend to go LIVE in your coach for a couple of days before Thanksgiving - that way you will know exactly what you need for the trip. Just go ahead and get a second set of plates, silverware, etc to keep in the coach: Melomine or Corell ware are great options - look like China but resist breaking (WalMart or Target)... it is MUCH easier to not have to pack all this small stuff every time you want to take a day trip. We always had the coach ready to go with only 30 minutes notice (that was my goal anyway)...
You may as well have a Fifth wheel if the goal is not to get out of Dodge quickly... lol
Old 10-29-2012
Former Bird Owner

Foregoing is generally good advice.

We bought sufficient pieces of Corell for 4 place settings (for the two of us), supplemented with some plastic glasses, and an assortment of china coffee/tea mugs.

The cabinets (on our coach) were felt lined (from the factory), but we used the woven-look non-slip padding to line each shelf and we never had any problem with damage to dishes. However, to be clear, I would not want to risk expensive fine china.

We also lined the drawers in the galley, where we kept a bunch of glass pyrex cooking dishes in various sizes. (They're great in the microwave, and many had glass lids that kept food from splattering and held in steam when cooking vegetables, etc.) After 40 months of travel, a couple of the cooking dishes had collected some chips, primarily in the ear-type handles that stuck out. In at least one case, the chipped edge was very sharp and could have resulted in a cut. So always inspect such dishes carefully before each use. You'll need to vacuum any glass chips out of the bottom of the drawer, too.

I recall that one of the china mugs got broken -- but I think it was "fumble fingers" rather than an on the road event that led to its destruction.

In our new Roadtrek, which has much much less space than our 'bird, we only carry a couple of Corell plates and some plastic glasses and regular coffee/tea mugs. We almost exclusively use (good quality) paper plates and disposable plastic cups (for cold drinks). While my "from scratch" cook preferring wife did some slightly elaborate cooking in the Wanderlodge, our meals in the Roadtrek are "minimal effort" affairs. I note, too, that the Roadtrek does not handle bumps and dips nearly as well as the Wanderlodge -- and many times, if there weren't locks on the cabinets, stuff would be thrown to the floor.

This was not the case with the Bluebird. Indeed, had a set of cardboard salt and pepper shakers that we'd put on the dining table. I put a leftover scrap of the non-slip stuff under them. After forgetting to put them away one day, I noticed that they were within a couple inches of their starting position after 300+ miles. Subsequently, I left them on the table -- and they'd only tumble off about once a week, if there was either a sharp turn (at speed), an encounter with a severe bump or dip, or (an infrequent) panic stop.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 10-29-2012

Welcome to the world of Bluebirding. I am on my second Bird and have always kept a set of chine in my coach in one of the big drawers in the kitchen. The coach never broke anything, I broke one saucer by dropping it on my floor. I have the coaches things and separate house things, no carring back in forth. You will know when you have packed to much on board.

hugs Patticake
90PT WB 40ft. Purple Jus Chillin
Diva
Old 10-29-2012

Default Stuff

We are full timers so we only have what we need but I would recommend a separate set of stuff kept in the bus if you have a house and an RV. I know you are wanting something extra nice like at home for your Thanksgiving dinner so these comments won't apply to that. They may have some benefit when you just do normal travelling.

As full timers we have almost no glass stuff anywhere (tableware, flower vases, mugs, you name it). That would bother some people who want to feel like they are home, but we don't want the weight. We have 4 Corelle (sp?) plates to cut steaks on, the rest is plastic plates and bowls, other tableware, insulated plastic and aluminum coffee mugs, Turvis tumblers (double duty as regular non-insulated glasses too) and things like that. They say the average full timer carries about 3000 lbs. of stuff (and we may have more than that) so any help with weight is a good thing for us, and glass is just heavy, what can I say.

We even had nice plastic wine glasses (I know, oxymoron) but then we decided we didn't need specialized glasses for wine (I know, barbarians) so now we just use our Turvis tumblers (those are highly recommended for insulated glasses)

Anyway, you get the idea. I think you can carry glass stuff without a breakage problem as long as you want to deal with packing it or cushioning it but that's more hassle than we want. No matter what you do (regardless of David Brady's ability to drive from coast to coast with a cup of coffee on the dash with no spills ) you will encounter some bumps here and there.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.....you will find yours after a few trips.

Good Luck

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117