Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-24-2018

Dana, Hang in there this isn't a brain tumor or a heart attack. Feel for you. Sadly this is part of ownership.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 07-24-2018

Thanks. He told me if he has to weld it, he will have to cut the braces out of the way to weld it and then re-weld the braces back in place. I just don't trust a weld in that application.

Fort Myers, Florida
1982 FC33 3208T "EM-50" - SOLD
1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"

danahcks@aol.com
Old 07-24-2018

Good one Rick, about Florida heat and expansion, lol.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire(pun intended).
I think your going to go the easy route and do what is a temporary fix at best.
You live in the boating capital of America, you got a crazy amount of people fixing fuel tanks down there, that salt water eats metal. You have people that will build you a new tank if you wanted or recondition the existing tank. You could probably do a good percentage of the work and have your hubby do the heavy stuff, get her done in no time, most of us are working solo.
I just talked to a guy down there(just wondering) who would come out to you and let you do the work to get the hole accessible. He also told me a aluminum if he built one that could hold 200 gallons would cost $2500, he felt bad telling me that, he said materials are expensive. Here I’m thinking sounds like a good deal.
Either way it’s like Heckmon said it’s not a brain tumor.
But yeah these things are expensive, let’s hope fuel prices stay down I remember filling this sucker(another pun, fuel sucker get it) a few years back what was it then $4.00.
Old 07-24-2018

boat tanks rot
Cape Cod,ma
Old 07-24-2018

Fuel leaks from fuel tank is a pain either way you go!!! Our bird is a 1990 wb and we also had the leaks. In the end, we decided to go the way of having the tank dropped, rewelded and replaced last year. Our tank is 8 x 4 x 4 300 gallon, 600 pounds of steel. The thread of our problem and solution from start to finish....

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=24509

Our bird had JBWeld used repeatedly on the tanks for years, but eventually a weld repair or tank replacement was necessary, especially because Lessie was tired of moving cat litter pans under and out from under the bird when we stopped.
Old 07-26-2018

Wow, what a thread! $10,000 for fixing a tank? Ouch!

Like I have said a few times already, our leak was behind the side support about 2" up from the bottom edge...on the sidewall. He cleaned the entire area that was behind BOTH center supports and applied that tank epoxy to BOTH areas nice and thick to minimize vibration abrasion to the area. The tank looks GREAT from what I can see with a high powered light dropped down the neck. We are still letting it cure and will be adding the fuel back sometime next week. If it continues to leak, then WE will drop the tank and weld it ourselves. I refuse to spend that $$$ on something we can fix.

Fort Myers, Florida
1982 FC33 3208T "EM-50" - SOLD
1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"

danahcks@aol.com
Old 07-27-2018

From the amount of JBWeld on our tank (in several places), looks like that was the way previous owners went for who knows how long. The weld folks think from almost the get go....meaning almost 28 years ago. We could have continued with the temp fix, but with several leaks and me so tired of getting down to place the cat litter pans in several places every time we stopped.... You’re in way better position than we were, lol, as we had no way to do the welding ourselves . Sounds like you have a solution with a backup plan in place.

Lessie typing
Old 07-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
Wow, what a thread! $10,000 for fixing a tank? Ouch!

Like I have said a few times already, our leak was behind the side support about 2" up from the bottom edge...on the sidewall. He cleaned the entire area that was behind BOTH center supports and applied that tank epoxy to BOTH areas nice and thick to minimize vibration abrasion to the area. The tank looks GREAT from what I can see with a high powered light dropped down the neck. We are still letting it cure and will be adding the fuel back sometime next week. If it continues to leak, then WE will drop the tank and weld it ourselves. I refuse to spend that $$$ on something we can fix.
Couple points.
Roundtuit had had several rounds of jb. They failed. So, dropping and welding only option, it new tank.
Also, Roundtuit is a WB, not a FC. The tank is in the middle of the bus, between the frame rails. Getting it out to weld is a MUCH BIGGER project than FC.
The tank was practically rebuilt, not just a quick weld over the leak.
That said, I sure hope mine doesn't start leaking!

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB