Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your SP model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....List your SP parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-19-2017

Question Water Woes (leaky holding tank[s], water pump weirdness, fresh fill confusion)

Per the title, been having some water-related issues in our 91 SP36.

The most urgent of these is a leaking grey tank. Been reading a lot on removal and repair, but could use some further tips and... perhaps some newbie-type hand-holding as I try to tackle this. (still on removal phase -- stubborn screws!!)

Unrelated [probably] to this leak -- our water pump has been working only some of the time!
I'll start with that, as it's probably just a misunderstanding on how the system's designed to work.

We've had our "Dusty Rose" for only a couple months now, and have just scratched the surface on what makes this bird tick...

[more to come]

1991 Wanderlodge sp36
2000 Wrangler Sahara
Bluebird maps - user#450
Old 09-19-2017

Red face Water Pump & Fresh Fill

We've been opting for [campground-supplied] "city water" pressure for most of these 2 months of full-timing. Convinced, for a while, that our water pump had quit on us.
(Would put water in the fresh tank, but couldn't get pressure to our taps while disconnected.)
Before being able to properly diagnose & troubleshoot, though... something weird happened -- the pump came back to life... for one night.

As it turned out, our filter (screw-on for external hose) had clogged and killed all pressure to the bus. Closing the dump valve for the grey tank gave us a "false positive" by restoring pressure (?) temporarily.
Silly me, thinking the two might be related. (they're not... are they?)

Anyway, we later tried the pump as a "last ditch" effort to pressurize the shower when it returned to a trickle. Worked like a charm. We heard the pump come on and, with the clogged filter reducing our [external] water line pressure to nill, a good long shower was had!

I'm pretty sure we emptied the tank with the pump running, though (newbie error) -- not realizing the fresh tank wasn't being refilled!

So... now we're back to square one. We can fill the tank just fine, but can't get the water pump to pressurize again. Before it briefly came back to life, I thought there might be something wrong electrically. But now... is it possible there's some sort of "vapor lock" caused by forcing the pump to suck air for a bit?

1991 Wanderlodge sp36
2000 Wrangler Sahara
Bluebird maps - user#450
Old 09-19-2017

I think you need to do a couple of things. First, take all the screens out of your faucets and make sure there is no debris in them. Your shower doesn't have a screen but may have lime in the head. Clean all the holes in that with CLR or vinegar. Then you need to take your sporlan valve apart and clean it. There is a diaphragm in the sporlan valve that has a very small hole in it. Very likely plugged up if you had a bunch of gunk in the fill inlet. Then follow correct fill procedures. Make sure your fill switch is off. Then turn off your water pump switch. Now attache the hose, turn on the city water outlet. Now flip the fill switch. This will activate the sporlan and allow your tank to fill. When full, flip off the fill switch, then turn off the city water, at outlet. Then turn on your pump. It should all work properly then. If you don't follow this procedure you usually experience what you are experiencing. By the way, most Birds only use the water pump. Reason being is if you leave and you have a leak, the inside of the bus will be a mess. If you leave and turn of the pump before leaving, you will never come home to water pouring out of your front door

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 09-19-2017

I also experienced the same "water trickle" syndrome after filling the tank, and as Jim advised, it was because I forgot to turn off the city water fill switch.

'91 WB40 "May Belle"
2 Golden Doodles (Ziggy & Loki)
Old 09-19-2017

Yep. I think you have not switched from city water to bus water, flip the switch. If you are, then the valve is bad.

I fought with no water in TX soon after I got my bus. ALL my faucet screens had plugged up! Cleaned them, and good to go. Don't ask about two days of tearing apart the water system to find the problem!

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 09-19-2017

Thanks for the pointers, fellas. I'll walk through the steps today, just as Jim outlined. Where do I find this infamous sporlan valve I've read so much about?

just to be clear:
- the water pump worked fine for a brief period, and supplied water to shower and both faucets.
- the water trickle we experienced was on city water. Removed the clogged filter, and we're back to full pressure from city
- our pump currently will not run at all (was audible when it ran before, now nothing )

Two pieces to this puzzle, not previously discussed (both are items located in compartment near water pump):
1. Purge switch - I've made sure to keep this in the "off" position pretty much all the time. One exception is when I emptied (or "purged") the fresh tank a couple weeks ago.
Q's: Is the purge switch related to the pump somehow? could I use it to release any air it could have sucked up, maybe?
2. Water Tap - the screw-open tap is what I used to empty the fresh water tank (as mentioned in #1). It dumps water just behind the rear passenger tire(s). I've used it a few times since then, if I need to clean my hands off when no city water's available. (hooking up jeep, working outside the bus, etc.)
Q's: This is a direct line from the fresh tank, right? Am I complicating the water pump issue in some way by using this tap?

1991 Wanderlodge sp36
2000 Wrangler Sahara
Bluebird maps - user#450
Old 09-19-2017
Forum owner

I will start a new thread on how to remove SP holding tanks,using the title "SP holding tank leak and removal"
Maybe it will be easy to find in a search.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-19-2017
Forum owner

tank removal thread,go here.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...419#post392419

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-19-2017
Forum owner

If someone else would like to do a sporlan valve thread with pics,please do so.
Title it "sporlan valve rebuild" so it can be found in a search.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-19-2017
Forum owner

Ohh,the SP sporlan valve may be under the hall closet floor,if your fresh tank is under the closet floor,the sporlan will be towards the bedroom,at floor level,behind a heater vent maybe?
Its been a few years,so i may have forgotten something,but i did not forget how bad it was to access,today i would just cut an access hole somewhere..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com