Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-16-2019

Default Roof AC project: improve air flow & quiet sound?

I'm going to take a try at improving my Coleman roof AC units. I do like the reliability, general ease of servicing, and function of these units.

My goals are:

1: Improve the air flow (smooth out ducting, seal air leaks). This will also I think help with sound reduction.
2: Upgrade the air filter elements. The OEM foam is just too fragile now after many years and many cleanings.
3: Quiet the overall sound.

Starting this project today, I'll post up my work as I go along.

So far my initial thoughts are to use generic (HD/Loews) air filter material that is easy to vacuum and/or wash and also make some easy to switch spares.

Use metal duct tape, foam tape, and styrofoam to seal leaks & smooth out hard corners for good air flow.

Apply sound mat material to various areas and components to deaden sound.

I welcome any suggestions or ideas.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 08-16-2019

I have thought of doing the same. But I don't think there is much room to put sound deadening material in the inside cover. Might get a decibel or two. There is already a good bit of styrofoam under the outside cover.
Please take a decibel reading before and after. Good luck.
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 08-17-2019

If you’re willing to suffer through the videos, some good tips/ideas to be found on YouTube.com - Click Here

The Micro-Air unit makes AC compressor startup quieter/more efficient, but doesn’t help once it is running. Some good info on this can be found in post 26 to 30 here: https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...d.php?p=347168

Last edited by NoGas; 08-17-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 08-17-2019

My '85FC33 has two roof mounted Coleman AC units. The forward unit is about 8 years old and the rear unit is likely about 20 years old. Today I did the interior aspect work to try to quiet the AC units. The second part of the project will involve removing the outside cowl and seeing if any quieting materials could help with the actual motor/fan noise.

My main sound deadening material in protected interior use is DynaMat Liner, stock #11102, 1/4" thick, foam with a self adhesive side. Will also be using metal duct tape for sealing, smoothing, etc. Item: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dyc-11102/overview/

Part 1 - the interior air plenum and trim cover on both units were minimally insulated, and both air plenums had significant sharp edges/lips where the styrofoam plenum entered the metal interior casing of the AC unit. The older unit had OEM foil faced tape, rubber edge foam, and fiberglass mat. The newer unit had a thin metal sheet and a 1/8 pad of black foam.

I smoothed over the edges with duct tape and installed the DynaMat material over the interior of the plastic air diffuser/trim panel. The 1/4" was just right...it presents an easy install and does not rise up to block air movement.

Sound results measured by a cell phone decibel app. Test was phone held at mid chest level directly under AC units. For the rear I added a laying in bed reading also. AC units run one at a time, on LO COOL.

Front AC:
Before work: 69db.
After work: 66.5db.

Rear AC:
Standing; before work: 72db.
Standing; after work: 71.5-72db.
Bed; before work: 66db.
Bed; after work: 65db.

Part 1 conclusion: the older better OEM insulated unit had some improvement, about one db. The newer unit with the minimal OEM damping had about 2.5 db. For the time and effort, about 30 minutes each AC, I'm glad I tried it.

I'll get to the outside work next month, when it cools off a bit. Mid 90's and high 70's% humidity today.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79