Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 03-30-2017
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
So we started doing some work on figuring out who this Richard Hall was and who he ran with. He was apparently from Pike County, KY originally so we sent some info down there to the State Police.
Interesting. I am distantly related to some Hall's in Pike County, KY. Heck, I think I'm related to half that county in some form or fashion.

My mother was born there and I have tons of cousins still living there.
Marietta, GA
Old 03-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatha View Post
Interesting. I am distantly related to some Hall's in Pike County, KY. Heck, I think I'm related to half that county in some form or fashion.

My mother was born there and I have tons of cousins still living there.
From what we understood, back at that time anyway, the Halls were related to many people, including a lot of the police in the area. The sheriff's detective that I was talking about, that found the hat, was going to call the sheriff's department down there, but I convinced him that we needed to call the state police instead. When we did, they told us that it was probably to our advantage that we called them, because there were several local officers that were related to the Hall family. I guess more than one perpetrator got away over the years. Apparently, blood was thicker than law

My youngest daughter's husband and family are from the area between Prestonsburg and Pikeville. From what they have told me, it is a hard way of life for a lot of people down there, with coal mining, being the main source of income for many. That would have to be a tough life.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-30-2017
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
From what we understood, back at that time anyway, the Halls were related to many people, including a lot of the police in the area. The sheriff's detective that I was talking about, that found the hat, was going to call the sheriff's department down there, but I convinced him that we needed to call the state police instead. When we did, they told us that it was probably to our advantage that we called them, because there were several local officers that were related to the Hall family. I guess more than one perpetrator got away over the years. Apparently, blood was thicker than law

My youngest daughter's husband and family are from the area between Prestonsburg and Pikeville. From what they have told me, it is a hard way of life for a lot of people down there, with coal mining, being the main source of income for many. That would have to be a tough life.
Our family name is Anderson and comes out of McDowell, KY - very close to Pikeville and Prestonsburg. We also have a lot of Vance, Brown, Sizemore, and Hall in the family tree. There's significant speculation that one of my uncle's was actually fathered by a Hall - although my grandmother never would confirm or deny it either way.

I do believe the Hall family was pretty influential in the area. I know, for example, that they own the local funeral home (usually a center of society) and you are right that there were several in law enforcement (as I understood it). I don't live there and have never lived there so I can't speak to what they would or would not do. But, I think you are correct on blood being thicker than law!

Your son-in-law is right about the life there - not an easy one. It can be painful to visit (although much better since the 80's, though) and see the poverty. There's also a lot of drug abuse - mostly meth. Good news for me is that my family has largely stayed clean (certainly not completely, though).

I seem to end up there every few years - most recently last June to bury my mom in the family cemetery. If you wonder why I don't live there, one of my great aunts was able to get out of there and moved to Illinois to get married. She rescued my mom (probably more literally than you might think) from a very abusive step-father and that's how Mom escaped that life. Her brothers and sisters (all half-bro/sis) used to be heavily jealous of her having gotten away to live with her aunt and uncle on the farm. Her life was still no picnic. But, it was still better than living in the holler in the hills being abused by a piece of garbage.
Marietta, GA
Old 03-30-2017

The next day I take the item and the information up to the Sheriff’s Department Detective Bureau. I sat down with Dick Dunn and the other investigators and showed them what I had. It was one of those that are used by “pro’s.” The short barrel, tape on handle, and no serial number is very typical of what they use. We all discussed that we needed to get Joe and Wendy in and interview them again. This time we had something to “squezze” Didio with. We call Didio up and tell him to come up to the D.B. and that we needed to talk to him again. Dick and I conducted the interview. Since Dick had lots of years of experience on me, I let him do the talking and I just sat there. Joe, said that Lee came in to the Gibson Girl Saturday night and that he was giving Wendy a hard time. He admitted it made him mad but he said Lee was a lush and that he would never get mad enough to kill him. He just didn’t like him bothering Wendy, because Wendy was his girl now and Lee shouldn’t be bothering her. During the entire interview, Joe denied doing anything wrong. That is when I spoke up and pulled out a plastic bag with this thing in it, that was behind the fridge. Joe didn’t bat an eye lash.

He looked at it and said, “So?”

I just asked him, “If you didn’t do anything wrong, why did you take this over to Wendy’s sister’s place, to have them hide it, for you?”

“Because I knew you guys would think I had something to do with the killing if that was around the house.”

“So your admitting this is yours?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s against the law to own or possess a (thing I can’t talk about) with the serial number ground down. So that makes you guilty of a felony.”

It was clear that he was quick to admit it was his, because it wasn’t part of this investigation and he knew it. So why did he take it over to Wendy’s sister’s to hide it? Think about that for a while. We will come back to that later. Nevertheless, we had it, we were keeping it and we were keeping Joe, for possessing it, Joe just didn’t know that yet. Dick went after Joe for another hour, but Joe wasn’t budging. However, when Joe was asked about leaving the Gibson girl to help a friend, he gave us the name Steve Freck. There was another lead to follow up on. So Joe was taken to the local hoosegow and made a guest of the county. The charge was for possession of that thing, with the serial numbers ground off, for the time being.

Up at the Sheriff’s Detective Bureau at the other end of the building is their Traffic Division. So the guys out on patrol are in and out all the time and sit around the break room shooting the bull and drinking coffee with the detectives, all the time. One of the Sheriff’s Deputies, who works night shift, came into the D.B. just after I arrived there that morning. The deputy is telling Dick about the Fort Wayne City P.D. getting a call about a car fire on Easter Sunday night. This deputy just happened to be in the area and stopped by just as the wrecker was pulling the car to the impound lot and the firemen were rolling up their hoses. He said that he didn’t think too much of it and talked to the city officer as it left. He said they just started talking when the city guy got another call and had to leave. So the next night, these same two guys, ran into each other at Parkview Hospital. The hospital was a favorite hangout for cops on night shift. The cafeteria at the hospital was open 24/7. Plus they make their share of trips to the hospital for work reasons and it just seemed a natural progression that the cafeteria became a hangout for cops. I spent my share of time there too, over the years. Anyway, these two guys sat down, to have their coffee or breakfast and started shooting the bull, again. The deputy brought up the car fire the night before and the city officer told him that the car belonged to a Steve Freck. I just have to interject this at this point. I know that a lot of people make fun of cops sitting around and drinking coffee and eating donuts. Not that I haven’t been to a donut shop, but I usually went to a small out of the way place, to meet with other guys; or to the hospital cafeteria of course. Anyway, you cannot possibly fathom the number of criminal cases that have been solved by almost pointless comments at a coffee stop. That is why I and I know many other guys would stop and have coffee and talk to other guys, especially street cops. They at times were a wealth of information. Sometimes they didn’t even know it. Many of these guys knew much more about what was going on out there, than we did. So this deputy just happened to be in the break room getting some coffee, when he overheard one of the detectives talking about Joe Didio and Steve Freck. This deputy, had been at the jail the night before and saw Didio’s name on the roster of inmates. Then of course his conversation about Freck’s car fire, with the city cop. So he got a little nosey and started checking out Freck and finds out that Freck is living with Didio’s ex-wife. It was then that the deputy thought he should come up and tell us what he knew and came in and told us the story. At that point we are wondering if all of that was just a coincidence. Lee dies, Lee’s ex-wife is Wendy, Wendy is living with Joe, Joe’s ex-wife is living with Freck, Freck’s car is burned. Nahhh! We go get a search warrant for the car. We call the impound lot, we go over to see the car, we tell the wrecker to hook up to it and that we are taking it to the lab to be gone over. This thing is pretty much toast. We don’t know what if anything we will be able to find. But we’re going to try. Like most stuff a lab does, it isn’t done overnight. It takes time, especially when you don’t have a clue of what you are looking for or where to look for it. We decided to farm out part of the lab work. The reason being was since this was a fire, Barker & Herbert Analytic Lab in New Haven (a Fort Wayne suburb) was nationally known for fire analysis. The fire department had used them a number of times. So the State Police Lab was looking for possible trace evidence and Barker’s was looking for fire origin. So we sat and waited until they found what we needed. Of course a watched pot never boils.

To Be Continued.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 03-31-2017

Better not yet throw out those old boxes of case reports Jim, your publisher might want you to brush up on details during the editing phase. Or maybe the screenwriter.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 03-31-2017

It took a few days. In the meantime, we did deeper background checks on all the players, we had so far. It turned out Didio was originally from Philadelphia. Nobody really knows how or why he ended up here. At least not yet. Nobody else that we have talked with, had any significant issues. Barker Labs came up with a petroleum based accelerant, on the floorboards of the rear seat of Freck’s car. Ok, now we had something to start talking to Freck about. Mel and I go find Freck. We bring him back to the D.B. and Dick, Mel and I start interviewing him. We start by asking him where he was at on that Saturday night. He said that he was at home. When we told him that we had a witness that saw him at the Gibson Girl on that Saturday night, he all of a sudden said, “Oh yeah. I stayed home on Friday night and I did go out on Saturday night, to the Gibson Girl.” At that point we had him thinking and his brain wasn’t able to keep up. We kept pressing him about the victim and he said he didn’t know him at first. But then when we told him that we knew that he was dating Didio’s ex-wife and Didio was currently with the victim’s ex-wife, we find it very hard to believe that he didn’t know Seffernick. You could see he was trying to think of an excuse why he didn’t remember him. But you don’t give them time to think, when you have them on the ropes. You throw another question at them to make them think about.

“So Steve, what happened to your car?”

“It caught on fire and burned up.”

“How did it do that?”

“I don’t have any idea.”

“Do you think it was intentional?”

“No, why would you think somebody would have torched my car on purpose.”

“Not somebody. You!”

“Oh, no way!” Why would I do that?”

“To cover up evidence.”

“Evidence?”

“Blood or any other connection to Lee.”

At this point you could see his mind is racing trying to keep up and Dick and I tag teamed him and went back and forth to his being up at the Gibson Girl and when he left; then back to the car and then back to how well he knew the victim. Each time he tried to lie and he couldn’t remember what lie he told the first time he was asked the question. Dick finally threw it out to him. “If you didn’t kill Lee, then you have a chance to get out of this fairly easy. So just think about what may happen. We have already talked to Joe. He has pretty much laid this all on you. It’s all up to you. You can go down on this on your own or tell us the truth.”

For about ten minutes or so Freck kept denying he had anything to do with the victim’s death. We’re sure he knows Didio is in jail. So he figures Didio probably has talked to us. He probably knows he was only charged with (that thing) and not murder. So, he is thinking that Didio probably made a deal. Then suddenly he sat there and paused for a minute.

“Ok, what deal are you offering me?”

Dick replied, “We really don’t offer deals. What we do offer is, that if you are truthful, help us get to the bottom of what happened, we will talk to the prosecutor and eventually the judge on your behalf and tell them you were cooperative and deserve a break. We don’t know how involved you are. We don’t just give blind deals and neither will the prosecutor. You have to tell us everything. You just have to trust us that we will work with you and help you as much as we can, to get this resolved. Once that happens, then the prosecutor may make a deal.”

He sat there for a minute or so and said, “Ok, but I think I want an attorney.” We weren’t sure if we were screwed or not. But we had to give him an opportunity to call one. We made it clear, that if we figured this out before he came back to us, he wasn’t going to get a deal but would end up being charged with murder, because right now we had his car and if we found anything, we didn’t need his statement. He contacted an attorney and the next day sat down with us and the attorney, Steve Simms.

So he detailed the events as they happened. He was contacted by Didio to help him get rid of Sefferinck. Seffernick, was getting to be a real PIA in Wendy’s life. That made him a PIA in Didio’s life. Didio wanted that to stop and there was only one way and that was to get rid of him. Didio called Freck on Saturday night and told him Seffernick was at the Gibson Girl and was getting pretty drunk. This was the time to get it done. Freck went to the Gibson Girl, saw Seffernick’s van, slashed the tires, so he couldn’t leave. He goes inside and acts like a customer for a while and Wendy ends up going into the office and gets a roll of duct tape, gives it to him and he then waits until Seffernick leaves and he follows him out. When Seffernick gets out to his van he is pissed about his tires, Freck comes up from behind and punches him out. He said he was so drunk it didn’t take much. He then throws him in the rear seat of his car, tapes his hands, feet, and mouth. Then Didio comes out of the Gibson Girl, gets into Freck’s car and they head north. He said he really didn’t know where he was going, he just went north to find someplace that was secluded. They pull off of US 33 and there wasn’t any traffic on this road. Didio tells him to pull over. They get out and pull Seffernick out of the back seat. By this time Seffernick is conscious. Didio takes a (thing I can’t talk about) out of the glove box, of the car. This (thing) was not brought by Didio, but by Freck. It was a large caliber. Freck said it had a 3 and a 5 and a 7 in the description. Didio stands over Seffernick and says, “You aren’t going to bother Wendy anymore”, then fires 4 times. They kind of roll him off the shoulder of the road, into the ditch and leave. Freck then takes Didio back to the Gibson Girl. Freck then goes back up north and throws the (thing I can’t talk about) into a creek, from a bridge. He then goes home, takes off all his clothes and puts them in a bag and has a friend burn them. The friend didn’t ask any questions but took the bag. His name was Bob Luce. The next day he takes his car through a car wash, but still wasn’t sure it was enough, so he decided to burn it. He stated that he took the Sunday paper, wadded it up and laid it in the back seat, then put a lit cigarette on the papers, then went into the house. He said that he waited a long time, but all it did was smolder and never really caught on fire. He went back out, lit another cigarette and this time he opened up a window, just a little, but it got enough air and it burned up. He said a neighbor must have called the fire department. We didn’t completely believe him, because Barker’s lab said they found accelerant on the floor of the rear seat. We ran him on the polygraph three times and Louie Sipe, the polygrapher, who had many years of experience believed him. So we went with it.

I personally have had no good experiences with the polygraph. When I was applying for the State Police the last thing they do, before you get hired is run you on a polygraph. They ask you the kinds of questions you would expect. Have you ever stolen anything? Have you used or sold drugs? So on and so on. Anyway, my last name starting with a W, I was third from the last of 120 guys getting polygraphed for 65 positions. We were all there at nine in the morning and I sat there until all the others were polygraphed, late in the day. When they came walking out we all asked, “What did they ask you?” Nearly everybody said they asked if you used marijuana and they almost all said they did. They either experimented with it once or it was just a few times. Most of these guys were in their early 20s and still got hired. I was next to the oldest. I was 28 years old and the other guy was Mike Waterman, right behind me, who was 28 and had me be about 4 months. Anyway, I go take the exam. He asks me the, “Have you ever used marijuana?” question and I said, “No.” So he went on to some other questions and then came back to that marijuana question. Again, I said no. That happened about 4 times and he shut the exam down and said, “Can you tell me why every time I ask you about marijuana I get a reaction on the machine?” I told him I had no idea, because at that time in my life I had never even seen the stuff, let alone used it. So we went on with the test and he stopped it again and said I was lying. I said, “Why would I lie?” I know most of the others before me said they used it and were hired. So I have no reason to lie.” Then I started telling him a story about how at my previous job a few years ago, one of my employees, who was an 18 year old college kid, living at home and working his way through school, came up to me one night as we were closing up and offered to give me a “joint” after work. I had never tried it and thought let’s see what all the fuss is about and told him I would be out in a few minutes. He left to go out to his car and I started thinking of how dumb I was. I go out and do this, the kid goes home and tells his dad that the boss and I smoked a joint, after work. The old man calls my boss and I get fired at best. At worst, a cop rolls up on us and we are screwed. I went out and told him I changed my mind, got into my car and went home. I told the polygrapher I have a guilty conscience that I even thought about it. He accepted that and the rest is history. At my age now, I have seen maybe thousands of pounds of the stuff, but still have never once used it. Bottom line is, because of my personal experience, I never had much faith in the machine or the people running one. It was a clear indication to me, why they weren’t allowed to be used in court. So why did Freck’s car have accelerant in it?

First of all, what is the carpet made of in a car? Plastic. Plastic is made from petroleum products. Second, who hasn’t gotten a gas can filled for their lawn mower, and put it in their car? So I could see traces of accelerant being found, but not used to start the fire. Whether Freck put a can in the back or not wasn’t the issue. It was a used car. Somebody may have in previous ownership. So science may be right, but maybe not about the reason the accelerant was there.

To Be Continued.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 04-01-2017

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I have ALWAYS found your stories AFTER you finish them. . . . . sigh, til now. Bummers. . . . This posting, one story, followed by another, and another, and I am reading, smiling gleefully as I read postings about waiting for the rest of the story and knowing I won't be left hanging, going to the next page, and reading, page after page, fastinated with each story, never looking at the page numbers. . . . See the To Be Continued and push for the next page and. . . . . NOTHING HAPPENS.... There is no more pages!!! sigh, grumble, growl, Ok, I guess I have to wait for the rest of the story.

Jim, I'd love to have been a fly high on the court wall and watch you on the witness stand and the defense attorney grilling you.

Love your writing. Please add me to your email list. Ldyelona@aol.com. Any chance of getting the previous stories not posted here? Please!!!

Lessie typing
Old 04-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHanska View Post
NOOOOOOOO!!!! I have ALWAYS found your stories AFTER you finish them. . . . . sigh, til now. Bummers. . . . This posting, one story, followed by another, and another, and I am reading, smiling gleefully as I read postings about waiting for the rest of the story and knowing I won't be left hanging, going to the next page, and reading, page after page, fastinated with each story, never looking at the page numbers. . . . See the To Be Continued and push for the next page and. . . . . NOTHING HAPPENS.... There is no more pages!!! sigh, grumble, growl, Ok, I guess I have to wait for the rest of the story.

Jim, I'd love to have been a fly high on the court wall and watch you on the witness stand and the defense attorney grilling you.

Love your writing. Please add me to your email list. Ldyelona@aol.com. Any chance of getting the previous stories not posted here? Please!!!

Lessie typing
Thanks Lessie for the compliments. I'm not sure I deserve them but they are appreciated. It turned into something I certainly wasn't expecting. I thought one story and that would be it, but with the interest that it stirred I almost felt obligated to continue and so here we are. I will put you on my e-mail list and send you those stories I couldn't put here and any in the future. But let me forewarn you, once again, if you are easily offended, they may not be for you and you may wish to not read them.

It is interesting you mention my trial experiences. That was actually my biggest fear, the first time I testified. I perspired through my shirt and suit jacket. I was soaked and I wasn't even on the stand that long and didn't get "grilled" like I thought I would. But as my career went on, it turned into one of my favorite parts of a case. At times, of which there were many, I didn't get the opportunity to go to court. Many of my defendants plead guilty, depriving me of the opportunity to testify. It was almost disappointing. I always looked forward to the back and forth between myself and the defense attorney. I actually spent days "rehearsing" on major cases, much like an actor would. I memorized every detail so as not to ever have to refer to a note. I recall one time that a defense attorney was asking me a question and he was going through his notes looking for a date and time. While he was looking and paused I just blurted out the date and time, that he was looking for. You could see the embarrassment on his face and the smiles on the prosecutor, judge and jury members. If you have an opportunity to make a statement, to ensure a judge and jury, that you know what you are doing and understand the facts, it will most likely add another one, to your win column. Not to mention it almost completely prevents a defense attorney from putting the "cops" on trial for being incompetent. Much like the O.J. trial where incompetence reigned supreme!!! Everywhere but on the defense side, that clearly had their act together.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 04-01-2017

'But let me forewarn you, once again, if you are easily offended, they may not be for you and you may wish to not read them.'

Jim, now I am howling with laughter! Easily offended, grins. Had six brothers, all older, all military, all branches, and add a father, 17 year Army, Drill Sergeant. Not much I haven't heard, lol. Oh and 20 years military myself. Nah, not easily offended unless it is one of my young grandkids trying out newly heard words. Actually not offended then either, just wanting to grab the bar of soap to nip it in the bud, grins. But thank you for the warning and the stories.

Lessie typing
Old 04-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHanska View Post
'But let me forewarn you, once again, if you are easily offended, they may not be for you and you may wish to not read them.'

Jim, now I am howling with laughter! Easily offended, grins. Had six brothers, all older, all military, all branches, and add a father, 17 year Army, Drill Sergeant. Not much I haven't heard, lol. Oh and 20 years military myself. Nah, not easily offended unless it is one of my young grandkids trying out newly heard words. Actually not offended then either, just wanting to grab the bar of soap to nip it in the bud, grins. But thank you for the warning and the stories.

Lessie typing
I can see you are my kind of "trash". My poor wife wouldn't say **** if she had a mouthful until she met me. She can almost keep up with me now I have been a bad influence on her. Having been in the military and then a cop for 30 years, did a lot to round out my vocabulary

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278