Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-16-2019

The first pic on amazon makes it look like a really nice insulated coffee mug.

Instagram
Old 06-08-2019

Thumbs up BlueFire Update

Was recently asked for an update on how the BlueFire works. In a word GREAT! Here is the longer version:

Had an opportunity to really test out the BlueFire gauge display on my standard iPad three days ago. It got a good test from Phoenix to Flagstaff AZ, with lots of up and downs & a 6,500’ net elevation gain. On the way up I simply set my iPad right on top of our speedometer/RPM gauge instrument cluster. It’s a base version iPad and fits perfect. Folded its leather cover over to the back and the iPad stayed in place. Not really mounted per se, but the iPad does cover up some of the M380’s original gauges and a small strip of the big idiot light display. Not overly concerned about that though since the engine symbol on my BlueFire iPad display acts as a Master Caution/Warning (Green steady or Yellow/Red Flashing) to tell the driver there’s something on the idiot panel. I did have to change the display timeout function in my iPads settings, so it wouldn’t shut off. The gauge set that I put together originally, works great. However for daytime use with the nighttime display, the iPad needs to be adjusted full bright. May have to figure out some different less subdued colors for day use. Really like having digital readouts as well as analog needles. I used the % of Load readout quite a bit with the ScanGauge. Unfortunately to compare readings, I could not leave both the BlueFire & ScanGuage connected because they use the same OBDE port. However, I noticed that the % of Load on my BlueFire iPad display reacts much more quickly to throttle input and is more sensitive/instantaneous. The BlueFire % also reads a bit higher than the ScanGuage output. It’s really nice having the yellow caution and red warning arcs pop up on the analog iPad gauges. They and the digital readouts both change color to match where you are on that gauge, when they see something “out of range”. These arcs and the value at which each gauge changes color are totally configurable btw. I like seeing which gear is selected as well the one that’s engaged, very handy. Lastly, there is no need to ever remove the BF OBDE dongle since it has a timer to OFF feature when you shut down the engine. If you have a choice get the Black framed iPad instead of the White version. It’d look better than my white one. All in all, BF works great and I love having all the gauges configured the way I WANT. Highly recommended!

Suppose I should post that my ScanGuage is For Sale . Best offer takes it, but I’d strongly recommend you go with the BlueFire instead!

Key ON but engine NOT running:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C745105D-1792-41C9-A5C3-5A493B563862.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	62385   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9082CB9-C2AD-4954-9298-A7AB392D1115.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	62386  
Old 06-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Did my annual Q Big Tent walk-thru yesterday and saw a product that looks promising (booth is inside the tent, N isle along the wall). Their product is aimed at truckers. However, BlueFire Owner/Developer’s Mark & Mary were at the booth and are excited about the motorhome market. It looks similar to VMSpc and RVDash, but uses a small Bluetooth Data Adapter with no cables, and works with Android, Apple iOS and Windows. Their FREE App can be downloaded from the app stores and the adapters are available via Amazon ($150-$190).

Anyone seen this or have experience using it?

https://bluefire-llc.com
(order direct using “Amazon” promo code and get a longer warranty)

From Amazon: BlueFire 9-Pin J1939/J1708 Bluetooth Data Adapter for Heavy Duty Trucks, Fire Trucks, Motorhomes, School Buses, and More. Supports Apple iOS, Android and Windows 10 BlueFire Apps. Please order the correct version for your vehicle. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CS1HUXI..._aaAsCbBTMR91G
****, i JUST bought a VMSpc. Randy knows how much time I spend on here lol. Not enough I guess.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 06-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Was recently asked for an update on how the BlueFire works. In a word GREAT! Here is the longer version:

Had an opportunity to really test out the BlueFire gauge display on my standard iPad three days ago. It got a good test from Phoenix to Flagstaff AZ, with lots of up and downs & a 6,500’ net elevation gain. On the way up I simply set my iPad right on top of our speedometer/RPM gauge instrument cluster. It’s a base version iPad and fits perfect. Folded its leather cover over to the back and the iPad stayed in place. Not really mounted per se, but the iPad does cover up some of the M380’s original gauges and a small strip of the big idiot light display. Not overly concerned about that though since the engine symbol on my BlueFire iPad display acts as a Master Caution/Warning (Green steady or Yellow/Red Flashing) to tell the driver there’s something on the idiot panel. I did have to change the display timeout function in my iPads settings, so it wouldn’t shut off. The gauge set that I put together originally, works great. However for daytime use with the nighttime display, the iPad needs to be adjusted full bright. May have to figure out some different less subdued colors for day use. Really like having digital readouts as well as analog needles. I used the % of Load readout quite a bit with the ScanGauge. Unfortunately to compare readings, I could not leave both the BlueFire & ScanGuage connected because they use the same OBDE port. However, I noticed that the % of Load on my BlueFire iPad display reacts much more quickly to throttle input and is more sensitive/instantaneous. The BlueFire % also reads a bit higher than the ScanGuage output. It’s really nice having the yellow caution and red warning arcs pop up on the analog iPad gauges. They and the digital readouts both change color to match where you are on that gauge, when they see something “out of range”. These arcs and the value at which each gauge changes color are totally configurable btw. I like seeing which gear is selected as well the one that’s engaged, very handy. Lastly, there is no need to ever remove the BF OBDE dongle since it has a timer to OFF feature when you shut down the engine. If you have a choice get the Black framed iPad instead of the White version. It’d look better than my white one. All in all, BF works great and I love having all the gauges configured the way I WANT. Highly recommended!

Suppose I should post that my ScanGuage is For Sale . Best offer takes it, but I’d strongly recommend you go with the BlueFire instead!

Key ON but engine NOT running:
Van, thanks for the update on the BlueFire for Motorhomes. I had been considering the simple ScanGauge and also the VMSpc but could not resist the temptation to acquire the BlueFire after reading your latest recent review.

For our 99 LXI, I purchased the Gray BlueFire Data Adapter which plugs into the 6 pin diagnostic port of my 99 LXI and sends J1708 information to the app via Bluetooth. The BlueFire Data Adapter can be left plugged into the round 6-pin diagnostic port with no ill effects.

The BlueFire Data Adapter was purchased directly from the BlueFire store at https://bluefire-llc.com/store and arrived in 3 or 4 days from the Seattle WA area. I downloaded the free app onto my 10 inch Simbans TangoTab Tablet powered by Android and within a couple of days I became comfortable with the application and designed a 'glass dashboard' with a combination circular gauges as well as 'text gauges' while awaiting shipment of the BlueFire Data Adapter.

After locating the diagnostic plug on the 99 LXI (located to left of steering column), using directions supplied by BlueFire, the adapter was plugged in and paired with my Simbans tablet. Upon lighting the fire in the S60 Detroit, my newly designed 'Glass Dash' came alive with circular gauges showing water temp, RPMs, Speed, Turbo Boost, oil psi, voltage EGT and text gauges with cruise control, selected gear & actual gear, time of day etc.

I'm very happy with the BlueFire setup and if you already have a later tablet or smart phone, the only out of pocket cost is ~ $150 - $175 bucks for the proper BueFire Data Adapter.

Now I need to decide where to mount the tablet; thinking about covering up the existing RPM and Speed gauges, or possibly a RAM mount to the right of the existing dash (above the cup holders).

A most enjoyable project which kept me occupied during some recent rainy days and hope to do a road test soon with a trip up to Arrow Rock State Park, just a few miles down river from Glasgow MO.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 06-27-2019

Dick!..Mine should be here today. I would have waited for your write-up, had I known!
In my case...when my silver leaf was working properly it was great! But I got tired of having a laptop sitting on the floor next to me and slaved to a monitor. I tried a cheap windows notepad, but I never could get it to start consistently and apparently the silverleaf won't work with a android tablet...so I thought I'd see if the Bluefire worked with an older Bird.
I know your LXI is different but here's how I mounted mine and I'm pretty happy with it. The tablet I'm planning on using.....already running the demo... fits in the existing mount. It does slightly obscure my view of the dash water temp, but I find it doesn't creates any other type of blindspot. I can't wait to try the Bluefire
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190627_071422.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	62701   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190627_070712.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	62702   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190627_070705.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	62703  
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-28-2019

Quick install of the Bluefire. EasyPeasy...hardest part is setting up the dash and I'm just starting to play with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190628_100021.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	62719   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190628_100029.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	62720  
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-28-2019
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Hey Kip & Dick, that looks pretty sweet. I may have to give it a try, My silverleaf is getting harder to keep going.
One of the most useful things on the silverleaf is a fuel minder that shows fuel used and fuel left.
Is this an option on the blue fire?
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 06-28-2019

Hi Mallie; yes the BlueFire has a fuel gauge also with many different functions including instant MPG...

Yesterday I ordered a mount for my Simbans TangoTab 10" tablet and it will arrive tomorrow and then I will get a pic of real live data streaming from the Bluetooth Adapter. The app is a FREE download so you can try a few gauge setups prior to spending ~ $150 on the adapter.

Here is a picture of my present gauge setup which I did in the comfort of my lazy boy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000819.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	62725  
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 06-28-2019

So far so good! And as Dick said, you can download the Bluefire app and see if the layout works for you for free and if you decide to purchase the BT adapter, use coupon code Amazon for a 10% discount on the bluefire website.
Like Mallie's, my silverleaf setup has been frustrating lately trying to work on the newer tablets. It worked best with a windows 7 laptop!
The Bluefire appears to give me all the info the silverleaf did with an easy to connect bluetooth tablet.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-28-2019
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Simple quick order, Thanks guys. Odered the 6 pin with IOS, directly from bluefire $160., used the "Amazon" code for a 10% $16. discount, Shipping $4.69, no tax, Total $148.69
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com