Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 11-02-2019
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
It sounds like a bad check valve in the air dryer to me,making the pop off valve pop off.
What he said. Maybe a weak spring.

We ran into issues with this valve not closing a while back. It had us stranded on a big hill on I-80 between Laramie and Chyanne.

Randy and Rick got us through. Took the spitter valve off, disassembled and cleaned it, lubed it with vaseline (silicon grease better if you have it) put it back together and it worked. We mad it to Chyanne and rebuilt it with parts from a shop (spring and o rings no big deal. It's still working fine.

Now I carry a rebuild kit. But probably time to upgrade to AD9 if we go out again.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=14643
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 11-02-2019

Bill,

Thank you for sharing your experience. My symptoms are a little different. I'm airing up fine (so far, knock on wood). The problem is my system cycles every 3 minutes. It goes up to max pressure, spits, then goes down 3 pounds and turns on the compressor going back up to max pressure and spitting.

I drove 350 miles today without any noticeable problem. Plenty of air pressure and it comes up to pressure fine. My guess is a well engineered system that fails to a working state.

Several people have made suggestions. This morning I did a leak check, as best I could in a truck stop. First I left the airbags off, that didn't make any difference. Then I aired up the airbags (recently replaced, always suspect recent work) and nothing changed. Crawled around listening for leaks - nothing I could hear. Turned on the fan, the horton clutch is working fine. Turned off the engine and listened in the doghouse for leaks - nothing.

I've been staring at the diagram for the air dryer, trying to figure out how the whole system works.

The pump comes on - sending compressed air into the air dryer - the air is dried and flows out the exit, the stop valve is open because there is more pressure inside the air dryer than in the rest of the air system.

At a preset pressure the governor sends air through a small air hose to the control port which causes the spitter valve to open. At the same time I assume it puts the air compressor into free wheeling mode so it is no longer compressing air.

The spitter valve opens allowing all the compressed air in the air dryer to exit through the spitter valve. Because the air pressure inside the air dryer is lower than the rest of the air system the stop valve closes isolating the air dryer (and the governor and the air compressor) from the rest of the air system.

How does the governor know when the pressure in the air system is low enough to turn on the compressor again? Is it something to do with the hose to the control port and air pressure inside the air dryer?

I'm confused!
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 11-02-2019

Craig,

Your symptoms are exactly what mine were. Servicing the desiccant and purge valve solved the excessive cycling of the system.

The manual calls for annual desiccant service. Since you need to remove the purge valve to service the desiccant, it only makes sense to rebuild the purge valve before reinstallation. It is inexpensive and does not take long to do. I would bring the system up to date with a service prior to assuming that something more serious has gone wrong.

Best,

Trent
Old 11-04-2019

Sounds like a good reason to stop in Topeka! We can get it figured out and fixed up.
1969 Trojan SeaVoyager
1955 BMW R50
Old Ford Trucks!
Old 11-04-2019

Thanks Tim!

WOG at its best.
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/