Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I got the go ahead to spend $500. We would use it to make general repairs.
Not heavy duty stuff. So I am probably better off getting one that runs of my
RV plug vrs a 120 plug because of the amp draw it could have????
I looked at Forney 140FC-i at Tractor Supply for $250. It is a wire feed.
They couldn't tell us much about it.
Neither of us have welded before. I think i read wire feed is easier to use.
The Forney stuff is like Chicago Pneumatic - old American brand that sold out or went bankrupt and all their stuff is just restyled Chinese now. That 140FC isn't worth it.

For $500 I'd buy this one from Harbor Freight if you insist on a brand new unit. This is 170a, runs on 120 or 240v, can run with gas for MIG welding or you can just load up flux core wire and skip the tank so you have less stuff to haul on the road. If you want to do a real project down the road like weld up a trailer or something then you can just buy solid wire and hook up the tank, plug into 240v, and burn away.

If you're never going to do a project like that then just get a 140a model that only plugs into 120v, like this one for $400.
Old 12-23-2019
Forum owner

I guess i should have known Forney was sold out,i just don't follow that stuff.
I do see used stuff on CL sometimes,used is good if they can demo it when your buying.
Most of the little welders are bought by home owners and never used much.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-23-2019

Default No % Discount HF Coupons for Welders

On most of their stuff you can search Google for “Harbor Freight Discount Coupon”. Unfortunately, the fine print usually excludes welders from their normal 20% & rare 25% off coupons. However, they almost always discount one of their welders & a helmet in their monthly & holiday flyers. You just need to be patient for the one you want.

http://flyer.harborfreight.com/
Old 12-23-2019
Forum owner

For a small machine i would be looking here.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-23-2019

Take a look at craigslist.
Here's one that looks like it is an hour from you. You could probably talk them down to $500. And get a demo - even get the demo via FaceTime upfront.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls...040367737.html

Nice thing about a used machine is you could resell it for full price when you are done, if you keep it nice.

All of the parts for the machine will be available for a Miller unit.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 12-23-2019

Welding is a process of joining metal together There are several different types, like brazing or Oxy/Acetylene or as mentioned, stick (arc), MIG (Metal/ Inert gas), TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas).

MIG is probably the the easiest (IMHO) but it is not the strongest and the gas can easily be blown away by a slight breeze. Flux core wire can weld without shielding gas and is probably what I would choose to carry in the bus if I was going to carry a welder.

TIG is extremely strong but demands precision that most of us will never master.

ARC process would be good but different jobs require different rods and they need to be fresh and dry to perform properly so I would probably not carry a bunch of these around just for the occasional roadside repair.

I have a cheap welder, it’s a $100 Lincoln Tombstone or Cracker box that was old when I got it almost 30 years ago. It welds good for what it is and would be good to carry along if space would allow. But it’s pretty heavy and bulky

I’ve been around a couple of lower cost Lincoln and Hobart 140 mig units that my friends own. They are pipe fence welders and hacks but the units seem to get the job done. We aren’t talking about welding Nuclear power plants or submarines here.

I hate the Chicom stuff enough to try to avoid it just on general principle. I’ll spend a little more to get a little better machine and maybe I can pass it on to a grandson some day.

A serious piece of equipment is your eye protection. Buy a good helmet and keep it protected so the lens doesn’t get scratched. You also need good gloves and if you plan to weld much, get a good long sleeve Wrangler shirt or some other heavy shirt that will prevent Sunburn. Especially pay attention to the area above your chest and below your Adam’s apple. Getting burned there is very painful. Ask me how I know ??? Also remember proper footwear will prevent one of those big old glowing blobs from dropping down in your shoe and giving you a hot foot.

I strongly recommend getting a professional or very competent person to weld safety type items. Saving $100 on a hitch weld job but losing your trailer or Toad because of weak welds would be a foolish thing. It’s not rocket science but using the wrong process or doing a poor job can be very costly.

Just some food for thought and some observations from growing up on a farm and being around this kind of stuff for the last 50 years.

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 12-23-2019 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 12-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Take a look at craigslist.
Here's one that looks like it is an hour from you. You could probably talk them down to $500. And get a demo - even get the demo via FaceTime upfront.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls...040367737.html

Nice thing about a used machine is you could resell it for full price when you are done, if you keep it nice.

All of the parts for the machine will be available for a Miller unit.

Doug
Nice find and it is about an hour drive. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to look at it.
Thanks
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 12-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
Welding is a process of joining metal together There are several different types, like brazing or Oxy/Acetylene or as mentioned, stick (arc), MIG (Metal/ Inert gas), TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas).

MIG is probably the the easiest (IMHO) but it is not the strongest and the gas can easily be blown away by a slight breeze. Flux core wire can weld without shielding gas and is probably what I would choose to carry in the bus if I was going to carry a welder.

TIG is extremely strong but demands precision that most of us will never master.

ARC process would be good but different jobs require different rods and they need to be fresh and dry to perform properly so I would probably not carry a bunch of these around just for the occasional roadside repair.

I have a cheap welder, it’s a $100 Lincoln Tombstone or Cracker box that was old when I got it almost 30 years ago. It welds good for what it is and would be good to carry along if space would allow. But it’s pretty heavy and bulky

I’ve been around a couple of lower cost Lincoln and Hobart 140 mig units that my friends own. They are pipe fence welders and hacks but the units seem to get the job done. We aren’t talking about welding Nuclear power plants or submarines here.

I hate the Chicom stuff enough to try to avoid it just on general principle. I’ll spend a little more to get a little better machine and maybe I can pass it on to a grandson some day.

A serious piece of equipment is your eye protection. Buy a good helmet and keep it protected so the lens doesn’t get scratched. You also need good gloves and if you plan to weld much, get a good long sleeve Wrangler shirt or some other heavy shirt that will prevent Sunburn. Especially pay attention to the area above your chest and below your Adam’s apple. Getting burned there is very painful. Ask me how I know ??? Also remember proper footwear will prevent one of those big old glowing blobs from dropping down in your shoe and giving you a hot foot.

I strongly recommend getting a professional or very competent person to weld safety type items. Saving $100 on a hitch weld job but losing your trailer or Toad because of weak welds would be a foolish thing. It’s not rocket science but using the wrong process or doing a poor job can be very costly.

Just some food for thought and some observations from growing up on a farm and being around this kind of stuff for the last 50 years.

Max.
I appreciate the advice.
Thanks Max.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 12-24-2019

Consider the duty cycle when buying a small welder I avoid Harbor Freight products from past experiences. Buy the Lincoln or Miller & you won’t go wrong. I own at least 20 Miller industrial machines & a few Lincoln’s as well. We use Lincoln 110v mig & stick for remote locations like narrow ally’s & tall structures without any issues. The newer solid state machines are amazing I just bought 3 Millers 450 amp machines that can be moved by hand the 20 year old machines require fork lifts but are still working.
2003 43 LXi