Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-16-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfins57 View Post
Working on the maintenance of my 97WB over the cold winter months. After all that has been said about the splines, I decided to check mine. What a difficult thing to do. The pump and PTO separated easy enough, but only seperated about 1/4 inch with the large Hydraulic lines holding it back.Not enough to peak in to see the splines condition. The Hydraulic lines are not so easy to seperate. Finally got the fittings separated after purchasing some gorilla sized wrenches and adding a very long extension. The 97 shares a lot of the inherent clearance issues with the LXi's. Tried to avoid pulling out the battery trays, but had to finally do that to allow enough room for the exaggerated wrenches and breaker bar to get a decent swing. So with all that, and a lot of heat, and some inaudible but nasty verbiage, they finally cracked open.
Well I found the splines to be showing enough wear that the decision to replace the PTO and Pump seems to make sense. This is a job I do not want to wrestle with again. Looking for parts, recommendations on where to find them and still have the bus ready for BOTB rally at the end of April.

Dave,
I just had Holland replace mine. They got the new PTO and pump from Weller in Grand Rapids. I went with the greasable unit instead of the wet lubed one. I can look at my invoice to see if there are part numbers on there.

Sky

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 02-16-2020

Bump
Old 02-16-2020

I will relate my exp[erience with this pump/pto issue.

Ours is an LX with Cummins but suspect similar parts. The splines on the pump were badly worn, but the 'female' side of the pto didn't look too bad. I ordered a new pump shaft and gears set from Hydradyne in Osessa TX. While waiting I decided to remove the pto to modify it for the 'wet spline' refit. Decided to replace the female drive in the pto. Took the PTO to a shop in PHX to have the shaft pressed out and a new one installed. They had some issues but eventually got it back to me. Left the seal out of the PTO and plumbed in a line from the lube line. Installed the PTO and pump, hooked up the oil lines and filled the systems with oil. Seems ok although only travelled 1000 or so miles.

Total cost for the trans parts was $545 and 2 pails of syn 295 @ $135 each. Plus $39 for the filters in the reservoir, and $55 for Allison filter kit. I changed the trans and the hyd system oil.

Job seemed to take forever but I guess being old and feeble is catching up.

This approach may not work for everyone but seemed the right approach for me.
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40
Old 02-22-2020

Default PTO Pump part numbers

Dave I posted earlier on the part number an sources I used to replace the PTO and pump
Ordered a 267XDFJP-M5GF PTO and a CPC030R2AFBC pump that are expected to be shipped in one week. Ordered the PTO from Drivetrain America and the pump from Berendsen Fluid Power. Thank you Randy for providing the information as to what and where to order.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Did you keep the original spline size or upgrade to the bigger spline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
I will relate my exp[erience with this pump/pto issue.

Ours is an LX with Cummins but suspect similar parts. The splines on the pump were badly worn, but the 'female' side of the pto didn't look too bad. I ordered a new pump shaft and gears set from Hydradyne in Osessa TX. While waiting I decided to remove the pto to modify it for the 'wet spline' refit. Decided to replace the female drive in the pto. Took the PTO to a shop in PHX to have the shaft pressed out and a new one installed. They had some issues but eventually got it back to me. Left the seal out of the PTO and plumbed in a line from the lube line. Installed the PTO and pump, hooked up the oil lines and filled the systems with oil. Seems ok although only travelled 1000 or so miles.

Total cost for the trans parts was $545 and 2 pails of syn 295 @ $135 each. Plus $39 for the filters in the reservoir, and $55 for Allison filter kit. I changed the trans and the hyd system oil.

Job seemed to take forever but I guess being old and feeble is catching up.

This approach may not work for everyone but seemed the right approach for me.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Kept original. Lasted 130k miles with no lube so hoping it will make that with pressure lube. I guess we'll see.
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Getting all the parts together for my Hydraulic System rebuild. I choose to get a new 7/8" 13spline QCC CPC-1040 Hydraulic Pump, and rebuild existing PTO and convert to a wet spline. Went to Drivelines America to get all that was needed on the PTO end. They were very helpful. Thanks to Steven Birtles for a new pump. The PTO in my bus is a 266XDFJP-M5GK. It has a date stamp of 8/00 probably indicating it was probably put on my '97WB as a recall installation. After researching, the conversion parts all match up to the later 267XDFJP pump. My splines show enough wear and getting it apart to inspect was difficult enough, It made a lot of sense to do the conversion now. I pulled apart everything from pump through to the reservoir so I could restore all the parts and replace a couple questionable fittings and hoses. Hopefully this will prevent me from having to worry about the PTO again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PTO_RebuildPartsSM.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	66689   Click image for larger version

Name:	WB97_HydraulicPumpSplines.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	66690  
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Those splines don't look to bad compared to the ones I have seen. Having said that, it would be very bad if this system failed on the road.
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
Those splines don't look to bad compared to the ones I have seen. Having said that, it would be very bad if this system failed on the road.
I was tempted to leave it alone and put the cash somewhere else, but the hassle of doing this again to monitor the wear and needing to grease it so often made it a better decision to do this now. Thanks for your advice Randy Not bad wear for over 100,000 mi.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I just changed my oil today and while I was under there, I took a few pics of the new PTO and pump. If you can't read the numbers, let me know and I'll post them separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5225.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	66699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5223.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	66700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5224.jpg
Views:	27