Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-25-2020

Default replacing the trace

Hey WOG

There is a lug on the Trace labeled "vehicle ground" (see pic) the Magnum does not have.

Question:
What do I do with the green cable pictured on left when installing the Magnum?

Thx

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trace.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	66475  

Last edited by Dennis and Joan; 02-25-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2020

You have a picture of the magnum.. looks like most of the ones I am looking at on the web have an external lug for a ground. I would expect that yours would have the same, that should be were the ground goes for the chassis.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I had the same problem last summer. After talking to Magnum and others, it was determined to put the green chassis ground on the black ground lug also. I have not had a problem hooked up that way.
turnkey1949@gmail.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Rob R s having a inverter rebuilt. The tech believed the issue was the install on Robs 99lxi
That robust ground lug is used as a negative by bluebird due to space limitations. The tech warned against it on reinstall. I guess the best course would be to just take hook it as directed in the trace docs and connect the negitive to theblack and use a true frame ground. Would think that ground has something to do with the ground transfer that happens internal.

Last edited by GregOC; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:39 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I do not understand the difference between (-) battery ground and "chassis" (green) ground. With starters/etc issues with bad grounds (Its always a bad ground connection), I thought they were the same.
The current installation the green "chassis" ground is bonded through the Trace to the bracket/chassis.
I will install the Magnum as suggested bonding the inverter to the chassis using the green ground and inverter bracket
Thank you for the help.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Joan View Post
I do not understand the difference between (-) battery ground and "chassis" (green) ground. With starters/etc issues with bad grounds (Its always a bad ground connection), I thought they were the same.
The current installation the green "chassis" ground is bonded through the Trace to the bracket/chassis.
I will install the Magnum as suggested bonding the inverter to the chassis using the green ground and inverter bracket
Thank you for the help.
The starter gets power through the chassis. The inverter does not. And the external ground chassis ground lug is a code thing. I'm 99-100% sure the negative battery lug is internally connected to the chassis inside the inverter permanently, which makes the outside lug redundant.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Magnum Inverter/Charger Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Joan View Post
...when installing the Magnum?
Different coach, but you may get something out of this Magnum Installation post from 5 years ago -

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=22511

Any metal ground will work for that exterior grounding lug. Andy is probably right, but looks better if case grounding lug is used as intended.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum Moderator

I dont post much but thought my recent experience might be helpful. Pulled both my Trace inverters. One needed tweaking, the other needed rebuild. $135 for one, $1153 for the other. Techs said they could sell me an inverter for less money than repair but I wouldn't have nearly as good an inverter. My choice was a Magnum Energy. They called this a 125% inverter as opposed to my Trace which is a 300%. When asked they explained that my Trace can handle a 300 %surge. To quote Mark Synder "Magnum is a twinky while Trace is a battleship." According to them the reason my fet and shunt burned up was because my neg was hooked up to the green chassis shunt lug. Again according to Snyder Electrics it is a testament to the ruggedness of the Trace that it lasted as long as it did. Here's an excerpt from my bill

Qua ntity
Description
Rate
Amount

RE: Model #RV-3012. Trace Inverter. S/N AJ00559
Inverter not inverting or charging

Bench test inverter: $90.00

Found relay blown and FET blown. The shunt was melted from negative being placed on shunt contact. Ship inverter to our Arizona office to rebuild. Rebuild inverter master board, replace shunt
Labor (Holly): 5 hours @ $90.00/hour = $450.00

Total labor & bench test: $540.00
Parts to rebuild board and shunt: $500.00
Tax on parts: 438.75
Total parts & tax: $538.75
Shipping: $75.00

Total for material, tax, labor & shipping: $1,153.75

$1,153.75

Thank you for your business!
Total
$1,153.75

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:16 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
I dont post much but thought my recent experience might be helpful. Pulled both my Trace inverters. One needed tweaking, the other needed rebuild. $135 for one, $1153 for the other. Techs said they could sell me an inverter for less money than repair but I wouldn't have nearly as good an inverter. My choice was a Magnum Energy. They called this a 125% inverter as opposed to my Trace which is a 300%. When asked they explained that my Trace can handle a 300 %surge. To quote Mark Synder "Magnum is a twinkly while Trace is a battleship." According to them the reason my fet and shunt burned up was because my neg was hooked up to the green chassis shunt lug. Again according to Snyder Electrics it is a testament to the ruggedness of the Trace that it lasted as long as it did. Here's an excerpt from my bill

Qua ntity
Description
Rate
Amount

RE: Model #RV-3012. Trace Inverter. S/N AJ00559
Inverter not inverting or charging

Bench test inverter: $90.00

Found relay blown and FET blown. The shunt was melted from negative being placed on shunt contact. Ship inverter to our Arizona office to rebuild. Rebuild inverter master board, replace shunt
Labor (Holly): 5 hours @ $90.00/hour = $450.00

Total labor & bench test: $540.00
Parts to rebuild board and shunt: $500.00
Tax on parts: 438.75
Total parts & tax: $538.75
Shipping: $75.00

Total for material, tax, labor & shipping: $1,153.75

$1,153.75

Thank you for your business!
Total
$1,153.75
Oh boy.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I am still at Coachcraft waiting on parts.
Thursday night I replaced the trace with the Magnum. AC in/out, DC +/- in, chassis ground, what could go wrong??
Friday morning (3AM freezing cold) I woke up and no heat from the aquahot. Long story the house batteries were ok, starting batteries 9 V. ??
While hooking jumper cables I first connected the ground from house to start batteries and everything came back alive. 12 volt lights, aquahot, etc.
The green ground on the trace is the house battery (-) ground. Checking the Trace manual the DC (-) and chassis ground are connected internally where the magnum is not. Checking with an ohm meter I verified the Trace chassis/DC(-) are connected internally.
2 new starting batteries, new positive battery cable (broken end) and all is good.
Today I will be moving the "green" cable to the DC(-) as "turnkey" did. I will leave the chassis ground lug on the magnum inverter bonded to the chassis.
Coachcraft guys say Bluebird did all kinds of crazy things on the assembly line.