Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM

Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM Post your questions or comments here about your favorite campground, RV park, rest area, Walmart or Cracker Barrel parking lot where you like to get your shut eye, or WHERE TO STAY AWAY FROM.

Site Search:

Old 06-04-2013

Default Wisconsin/Lake Michigan/Lake Superior

Mornin' all

While we have been to many beautiful places in our great country, we've never been to the Great Lakes.

I have been thinking about a trip this summer up to Wisconsin and either Lake Superior or Lake Michigan.

How about some recommendations from some of y'all that have been there.
Old 06-04-2013

Ft Wilkins State Park, Copper Harbor - make sure to drive up Brockway Mountain. Houghton - Isle Royal National Park is wonderful. If I remember correctly is about a 5 hour cruise across Lake Superior, wonderful hiking trails, very beautiful, very primeval, no dogs allowed though if you travel with Fido. If you have never been inside of an underground mine - Quincy Copper mine just North of Houghton. I think it's now part of the National Park System. More $$$$'s of copper were mined than all the the gold from the Cali. Gold Rush in the U.P. Rebuplic - I think they still have tours of the open pit iron mine. World's 2nd largest iron ore deposit. I know it may souind like a big hole in the ground and it is, but i took the tour 30 years ago and it is really pretty interesting what they do to extract the iron ore. Marquette - The Queen City. Just a nice town along the lake, great downtown and go out County Road 550 to Sugar Loaf Mountain - a wonderful view of Lake Superior. It's about a mile walk to the top but many many stairs have been installed to make it easier. (To think we still had keggers up there when there weren't any stairs). Munising - Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Just doesn't get any better than this. Many trails, waterfalls (most closely accessible after a short walk from your vehicle. Take the boat tour out of Munising - especially beautiful in a clear day. 200' to 300' sand dunes along the lake for as far as you can see. Easy to stay a few days here. Rent a kayak and see the sandstone cliffs up close and personal. Paradise - That's exactly where you be if you stop to see the Tahquamenon Falls - the only larger falls east of the Mississippi is Niagara. OK too much hype on the size because they are actually pretty small but they are just so beautiful nonetheless. Sault Ste Marie - Just call it the Soo - See the Soo Locks - very interesting and fun to take the boat through them. St. Ignace - Cross the "Mighty Mack" the Mackinaw bridge to the Lower Peninsula. It's the world's 3rd? longest suspension bridge and you'll be 200' above Lakes Michigan/Huron. The outside two lanes are paved - got some guts? Make sure you hang your heads out the drivers side windows as the inside lanes are steel grating that allow you to see all the way 200' down to the lake. Mackinaw Island - This is a must see - no motorized vehicles, a lot of horse poop and fudge but this is my wife's favorite place in Michigan. Somewhere you can just go, relax, and forget about the rest of the world for a few hours. See The Grand Hotel - Worlds largest front porch. Rent the Movie "Somewhere in Time" - before you go. It was filmed there. Gotta do the fudge think downtown and rent a bike to see the "back side" of the island. If memory serves, its about a 10 mile ride all along Lake Huron. Mackinaw City - If you like history Ft. Michilimackinac is athe actual reconstructed fort that guarded the Straits. Learn how the British lost the fort because of a lacross game. Mill Creek HIstoric Park - a pretty good history of logging in Michigan and a working water-driven saw mill. Take US 31 south down the coastline, Petosky, Harbor Springs, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes a must see in Glen Arbor. Voted by Good Morning America as America's most beautiful National Part in 2011. This should give you a good start and with all the other things you will find to do I'd plan more than a couple of weeks there or be prepared to return.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 06-04-2013

Tommy, I like Bayfield, WI and the Apostle Islands in Northern WI.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bayfi...w=1221&bih=720
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 06-04-2013

Tommy,
There are a lot of great places to go around the lakes. Some of my favorite places are Mackinac Island. There are no motorized vehicles on the island. Everything is like it was 200 years ago. Unless you plan on spending the night at one of the inns or B&Bs, take the earliest boat you can and stay as late as you can. There is a lot to see and do, but it will take some energy, unless you take a horse and buggy, which there are a lot of. Don't forget to buy some fudge. There is Greenfield Village at Dearborn. It is a fantastic museum that is a must to see. Speaking of museums the ones in Chicago are not to be missed either. The Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry are great and they are all located next to each other so they are easy to get to. The Wisconsin area I'm not that familiar with other than Milwaukee, which is pretty cool. Go up to the UP of Michigan and see Pictured Rocks. There is a great campground at Grand Marais, MI. It puts you right on the shore of Lake Superior. It is big rig friendly. You have to remember that area is isolated so nothing is really that close but it is worth the time to go see things. I stayed at Grand Marais and we rode the Harley to a lot of locations from there. The Soo Locks are pretty cool. If you are into ships this is the spot to be.

And don't forget we are having a rally in August at Birch Run near Frankenmuth. Great time the last time we were there. Your always welcome to stop by my place too.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 06-04-2013

Wisconsin Dells
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-04-2013
Campground Owner

Devil's Lake
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 06-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
.... Speaking of museums the ones in Chicago are not to be missed either. The Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry are great and they are all located next to each other so they are easy to get to.....
Tommy,
If you are thinking about visiting Chicago (we call it the city) I'm an easy, no stress, commuter train trip away and offering free parking for as long as you wish.

If the southern tip of Lake Michigan is on your route, at least stop and I'll get you into some good ribs.

As far as Wisconsin goes, all I know is its on the way to Yellowstone and to avoid the house on the rock.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 06-06-2013

Wisconsin - nice little city rv park in Ashland. Day trips to the Apostle Islands, Bayfield, Big Top Chautauqua tent theater, Bayfield museums, apple orchards. Easy to spend 3 days there.

Best kept secret - city rv campground in Michigan's Lake Linden. Daytrip to Copper Harbor, Seaman museum in Houghton, Quincy Mine tour.

Pictured Rocks NS, Whitefish Bay Fitgerald shipwreck display, etc, etc
Old 06-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Tommy,
If you are thinking about visiting Chicago (we call it the city) I'm an easy, no stress, commuter train trip away and offering free parking for as long as you wish.

If the southern tip of Lake Michigan is on your route, at least stop and I'll get you into some good ribs.

As far as Wisconsin goes, all I know is its on the way to Yellowstone and to avoid the house on the rock.

You're not liking The House On The Rock - parody of Frank Lloyd Wright?
Old 06-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
You're not liking The House On The Rock - parody of Frank Lloyd Wright?
Once you are in, there's only one way out and you need to follow the maze for seemingly hours to find it. Lots of cool stuff, but enough is enough already.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.