Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-13-2014

Default S 60 VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Hello WOG,

we are here in Peoria Ill in need of a voltage regulator , any ideas on were we could find one ? we have check many places but Chicago lol is all we find so far .

when driving the charge will go to 300 amp the lights last night flickered on and off , spent the evening on the on ramp at 53 mm on 74 E not a bad spot

any ideas would be welcomed . Have car will drive .

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-13-2014
Senior Fisherman

Al,
Do you know how to contact:

irmagoo
mike mcgraugh
1997 bmc 40
"sugarland express"
washington Il.

Washington is close to Peoria
Gregg
Old 08-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Hello WOG,

we are here in Peoria Ill in need of a voltage regulator , any ideas on were we could find one ? we have check many places but Chicago lol is all we find so far .

when driving the charge will go to 300 amp the lights last night flickered on and off , spent the evening on the on ramp at 53 mm on 74 E not a bad spot

Al, Give me a call. I have Mike's phone number and will give it to you to call him. I don't want to post it without his permission. My number is above and the right of this post.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 08-13-2014
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Hello WOG,

Al I had the same problem and a new regulator didn't fix it. Both Peter Haggins and Terry Angelino mentioned the alternator ground as a possible weak point. While I was at Terry's we put a new ground wire in that went directly from the alternator to the negative post on one of the start batteries. I haven't had a problem since. Can't hurt to try this out. Cheap enough and priceless if it solves the problem.

PS make sure you attach the ground wire to the alternator post that says GRN or GRD. There is one post back there that says Do Not Ground.
Old 08-13-2014
Forum owner

you can also have a bad battery causing this problem.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-13-2014

thank s for the replies .

Randy , the batteries are all new , well changed them out in Ca in April or so , some 30k miles ago I guess .

The issue does seem to be resolved at this time . I was reading a older post where you and Terry A mention the ignition and a fused link in the rear box . well I pulled the ignition out pulled and reinserted the relays and for now all is well . we are on 57 headed to Nashville lol, where we had our first issue , you remember the one with the Panhard Rod .

Rob, thank s for the info if it acts up again I will be sure to give that a try considering I can t find the 12 volt regulator anywhere . Plenty of 24v but I hope I am correct in assuming we use the 12v ?? did you say your was also pinning itself at 300 amp and then setting the invertors off and lights going nuts also ??

thank s Greg and Jim but looks like Memphis is our next stop , just300 more miles and boy what a beautiful day it is .

thank s again guys , if we need help we will be sure to give a holler .

1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-13-2014

Al
In an emergency you should be able to disconnect the engine alternator, the red power wire, then run the generator so the inverter chargers will charge the batteries while driving. That way you will not be stranded.
Yes we are 12v system.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 08-13-2014

Well Peter , that brings up another issue

we discovered that our radiator on the genny is Leaking . we must have hit something along the way . first noticed it a little low back in April while visiting Mark L. we did not need it much while traveling the North West but when we wanted to use her the other day I noticed it was low on water . upon inspection there was a stream of water coming from the Radiator hahaha . another issue for another day I am afraid . thank s for the idea , will be sure to use it one day

1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-13-2014
Forum Moderator

Quote:
thank s for the replies .

Randy , the batteries are all new , well changed them out in Ca in April or so , some 30k miles ago I guess .

The issue does seem to be resolved at this time . I was reading a older post where you and Terry A mention the ignition and a fused link in the rear box . well I pulled the ignition out pulled and reinserted the relays and for now all is well . we are on 57 headed to Nashville lol, where we had our first issue , you remember the one with the Panhard Rod .

Rob, thank s for the info if it acts up again I will be sure to give that a try considering I can t find the 12 volt regulator anywhere . Plenty of 24v but I hope I am correct in assuming we use the 12v ?? did you say your was also pinning itself at 300 amp and then setting the invertors off and lights going nuts also ??

thank s Greg and Jim but looks like Memphis is our next stop , just300 more miles and boy what a beautiful day it is .

thank s again guys , if we need help we will be sure to give a holler .
Yes exactly Al. My alternator was putting out 300 amps and the inverters were going nuts. Couldn't say about the lights because in all cases it happened during daylight hours.
Old 08-13-2014

Rob , did you fry your batteries ? look like I am only getting a 72% charge after driving all day . Might be a issue with the inverter ough !!!It is not showing that it is charging . well we are parked for the night , I guess I will know in the morning when I try to make a pot of coffee . good night mate

1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com