Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 10-15-2015

Wink Microphor compressor problem

Our Bluebird is a 1996 42'. The toilet system is a microphor (original equipment, air operated commode). The compressor will not kick on without having to go outside and gently tap the side of the pressure valve that's mounted on the pancake tank. We replaced the pressure switches and it ran fine for about 45 minutes. After about a dozen test flushes, it started kicking off again. Now we are back to the original procedure......if someone needs to poop, they have someone else go outside and tap the compressor until it starts running again. Although this does allow for some great family bonding moments, we feel it would be best to fix this once and for all. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? We were hoping that we would be able to ask all of you Bluebird pros at the rally in GA but we didn't realize that it was same weekend as Talladega (which we had already committed to). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2015

A little marvel mystery oil or WD40 sprayed on the compressor suction and cycled a few times may help.
Old 10-15-2015

Default I'll try that

thank you for reply. where is the suction that would need the lube. also when I replaced the pressure switch I had to take the whole thing off starting from the tank. which was a good thing but I noticed the inner part of the fitting had some scaly debris in there so I cleaned them out but I also noticed with a flashlight that there was some rust inside tank. no leaks or anything like that but definitely rust in there. could the tapping on the side of the pressure switch possibly be nocking loose some rust or dust from the switches making it run again? and then when we flush the swoosh of air sucking more up in there?
Old 10-15-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Lisa, Since you already replaced the regulator and it acts the same as before, I would guess a loose connection, probably ground.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 10-15-2015

For what it's worth:

Never use WD-40 around plastic parts. It leaches the plastisizers out and the parts eventually crack. The Gast compressors have plastic around the pistons. Don't know about the Thomas compressors.

If you are talking about the Thomas 12vdc compressors, 12 vdc motors have brushes and commutators that sometimes need cleaning and/or replacing.

Can you hear the pressure switch click without the compressor starting? I'd start there first.
Old 10-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
For what it's worth:

Never use WD-40 around plastic parts. It leaches the plastisizers out and the parts eventually crack. The Gast compressors have plastic around the pistons. Don't know about the Thomas compressors.

If you are talking about the Thomas 12vdc compressors, 12 vdc motors have brushes and commutators that sometimes need cleaning and/or replacing.

Can you hear the pressure switch click without the compressor starting? I'd start there first.
Thanks Ron for the WD40 information. I did not know that. Sorry for the misguidance.
Old 10-15-2015

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that with WD40 either. I haven't noticed the pressure switch clicking. When it makes any noise it's when it is kicking on. When it is running the compressor sounds like it's running great but it sometimes takes several bumps to get it going. It seems to be taking longer and longer to crank now. I will pay better attention to see if there's a clicking sound. Should there be one? I'm not sure if it's a Thomas or not. I do know that it's the original compressor. Unfortunately, I have to keep it in storage so I can't check it tonight but I will check that this week. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2015

I think some owners have plumbed in the Aux compressor to the toilet. Others that have done so may chime in with the details.
Old 10-16-2015

Since these are 'Blue Birds, plumbing may vary. On mine, the aux tank will supply the toilet tank when the bus is running or the 110vac compressor is running. The Thomas compressor is for when you are not rolling, or plugged in, or do not want to have the whole system up just for the toilet tank (for leak reasons, etc.).

I changed mine to put the dump valves on the toilet tank because I didn't want to air up the whole bus just for dumping. Works well when you are living on the bus without rolling for a while.
Old 06-26-2016

My Microphor/Thomas air compressor was running too often so I pulled the lid off the toilet. Found most of the old Parker air fittings leaking due to rough road wear and tear. Replaced with new Clippard 1/4/ in. by 10-32 push fittings (available at Amazon.com). Now the air tank goes for 20 hours or runs on a flush demand.