Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 01-04-2016

Default What do you guys think of this?

Hey all. Some of you are already familiar with me and my family of seven's search for a Wanderlodge. I literally know nothing about them other than I love them. Anyways, I've been scouring craigslist for days and I came across this one and, at first, didn't give it a second thought because it's only a 31 footer and I thought no way would that fit us. But today I just clicked on the link and discovered that it says it has two twin beds in the rear bedroom that convert to bunks. Woah! That changes the whole deal. There's no price on it. Just says make a reasonable offer. I would definitely want someone to check it out mechanically before we bought it, but my biggest thing is the gas engine. I have only looked at diesel up until now because I know the engines are more reliable and hearty. Tell me about the gas Bluebirds. Talk me into it or talk me out of it. Teach me something, please. Oh, and if you don't know about my family, you can read my intro thread from a couple days ago in the new members area. I'm the clueless one looking for help

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/5379781980.html
Old 01-04-2016

There's a few gasser owners here on the forum, hopefully one of them speaks up about their experiences. Being a 31 footer it will be lighter than most Bluebirds. Being from San Diego area probably means less chance of rust and other outside damage. Looks pretty clean from the pictures, but you have to get eyes and hands on it to know for sure the story and situation.
VB 1570
Old 01-04-2016

And my other question would be, what WOULD be considered a reasonable offer on this? It's 10 years older than all the ones that I've typically looked at, smaller and has a gasoline engine. I wouldn't even know where to make an offer at...
Old 01-04-2016

You can expect 4 miles to the gallon, and not a lot of power. Nice looking bird, but with the size of your family, you really need to be looking at nothing less than a 35 footer. I have a 40 foot, and I think it's to small. Lol.
"Grandpa's Bus"
1985 PT40
bsteckert@comcast.net
Old 01-04-2016

I've got a 31 footer and I am familiar with the 35's, the extra 4 feet is all storage space. Inside you lose 2 closets and a couple cabinets, outside it is storage compartments underneath.
Now, for the serious stuff, it says new 10.00X20 tires, that means "Widow Maker" wheels, split rims with tube type tires, not a deal breaker, but needs to be upgraded to solid wheels, either steel or aluminum and tubeless tires. Back in my bus driving days I put a lot of miles on Ford 391 powered Blue Birds, (and took them to some places that would scare the heck out of most people) really bad gas mileage but reasonable power. Add says new front and rear brake system, however does NOT say if air or hydraulic brakes. For me, hydraulics would absolutely be a deal breaker. I put a lot of miles on gas powered buses BUT they all had AIR BRAKES.
HTH
Dave

P.S. It's also 4 feet farther to walk from the front to the back inside. he he he

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 01-04-2016
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerfam7 View Post
Hey all. Some of you are already familiar with me and my family of seven's search for a Wanderlodge. I literally know nothing about them other than I love them. Anyways, I've been scouring craigslist for days and I came across this one and, at first, didn't give it a second thought because it's only a 31 footer and I thought no way would that fit us. But today I just clicked on the link and discovered that it says it has two twin beds in the rear bedroom that convert to bunks. Woah! That changes the whole deal. There's no price on it. Just says make a reasonable offer. I would definitely want someone to check it out mechanically before we bought it, but my biggest thing is the gas engine. I have only looked at diesel up until now because I know the engines are more reliable and hearty. Tell me about the gas Bluebirds. Talk me into it or talk me out of it. Teach me something, please. Oh, and if you don't know about my family, you can read my intro thread from a couple days ago in the new members area. I'm the clueless one looking for help

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/5379781980.html
Our first Bird was a 1973 FC-31 with a gas powered 391 industrial Ford engine (235 hp @4000 RPM and 372 ft. lb. torque @ 2000 RPM).

We owned it for about 9 years and it had 187,000 miles on it when we sold it. I rarely drove it above 65 MPH but it would go 70+ on flat ground pulling our Jeep Cherokee. I always felt that it accelerated from a stop pretty good and cruised along on flat ground just fine but it was way under powered on hills and way-way under powered in the mountains. I had to mash it to the floor when I saw even a moderate hill coming and the speed still dropped like a rock. In the mountains we had to disconnect the toad and drive it behind the Bird or the coach would pull down to almost a stand still.

In those days our 73 was just a "teenager" and maybe the gas was better back then but we usually got between 6 and 7 MPG as long as we weren’t in the mountains. On one trip, it dropped into the low 4’s while running around out in the Rocky Mountains.

I would have to say that the brakes on our 73 were by far its weakest feature - our's were hydraulic and they were not really up to the task of stopping the coach in a hurry - and even worse when towing a car.

The next weakest feature was a severe lack of storage space.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 01-04-2016

Ah yes, the storage deficit may be an issue for us in the long run....
I wonder what this whole bunk conversion set-up is that they've got going on in there though...I am really interested in knowing that. Maybe I will just email them to ask...lol.
Old 01-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerfam7 View Post
Ah yes, the storage deficit may be an issue for us in the long run....
I wonder what this whole bunk conversion set-up is that they've got going on in there though...I am really interested in knowing that. Maybe I will just email them to ask...lol.
Not sure about the bunk set up in the back but my guess is that that would probably wipe out two overhead storage bins.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 01-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW1086@cox.net View Post
Not sure about the bunk set up in the back but my guess is that that would probably wipe out two overhead storage bins.
True, but if I figured out what they did and applied it in the back of a 35 footer (or bigger) it might not matter as much to lose those overhead bins...

We originally intended on just building a back bunk room, but convertibles would be much better for resale down the road.

I don't know...we will probably just end up building bunks