Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 02-02-2017

Default Story Time

I guess I got bored today and since some have said they like my stories I decided that it was time for another one. This one will be lengthy and will most likely be done in installments.

There has been a book written about this case and a TV show on the Discovery Channel done a couple of years ago. As someone that knows all the details of this case, I don’t believe that either did the story justice. Not that I can do any better, because I am not an author. However, I have written a ton of case reports that were good enough for a prosecutor to take the case to trial, for a judge to accept it, and for a jury to listen to it and convict. I talked about this a couple of years ago, when it was set to air on TV, but I didn’t go into detail here. So maybe I can present it good enough for your enjoyment, now.

There was a gay guy, who was very well known in the area that was murdered. Eldon Anson, had been married to the same woman twice, because he couldn’t make up his mind, what he was. He had two adult daughters and some very young grandkids. He lived in a house up on a hill that everybody drove by on their way to the “Big City” of Fort Wayne. When he finally made up his mind, he had all these young guys at his place. In the summer, these guys would be running around in their speedos, mowing the yard, constantly staining the split rail fences, siding on the house and barn, even the cedar shake shingles on the house and barn. People talked about it all the time. Eldon had some shady business dealings with some people. He usually ended up on the short end of it. He would then call the cops and I would end up going there. He got ripped off several times, but many times because he tried to rip them off first and they saw it coming and turned the tables on him. I only mention this stuff to give you an idea of why things happened the way they did. All of this stuff had a huge bearing on the investigation. I had to determine motive and who did it, for starters. So all of this stuff I just mentioned, came into play.

I got a call late one evening. The call came from the local sheriff, requesting me to go to the scene of an assault and possible robbery. The victim had been transported to Lutheran Hospital, in Fort Wayen in extremely serious condition and may not make it. Eldon Anson, was found lying in his driveway, by a guy, that lived in his basement. The basement was like a small house that he rented to this guy, who was not gay, by the way. Anyway, I told the sheriff I would go and investigate it. I met with a sheriff’s detective and he told me what his road officer found, when he got the call. He said that Anson was lying on the ground, near three vehicles parked in his yard, about halfway between the road and the house. The officer found a pulse and called an ambulance. The deputy then asked me, “What do we do now?” I said we need to get a search warrant for the house and the grounds. So we woke up the prosecutor and the circuit court judge and got it. We then went back to the house and began searching for evidence of a crime. I had no idea what we were going to find. But once we started looking I realized the monumental scope of things. We found documents of business dealings that were too many to enumerate. In addition, there were “private” VHS videos all over the place. I found a camera in a stack of hundreds of them. When a cop tries to find motive and suspect he usually starts with persons known to the victim. I don’t recall what the exact statistical percentage of murder victim and acquaintance is, but it is extremely high. So, the videos were important in determining acquaintances. So, we gathered up every piece of paper with a name and phone number or address on it, along with, all the videos and hauled them out of there, to my office, at the state police post.
By this time it had been daylight several hours and I went up to the hospital to see about Anson’s condition, which was very serious. He never regained consciousness and died about three days later. There was also no autopsy performed. This was at the height of the Aids scare. Eldon was found to have Aids and the pathologist refused to do the autopsy. We couldn’t find anyone to do it, they all refused. That ends up being crucial and somewhat confusing in the investigation, which will come to light later. I was able to talk to Dr. Rudy Casheman, who treated Anson. The Dr. said that it appeared the victim had been attacked with a machete or something similar. One of the x-rays showed a piece of metal deep in the skull and into the brain. He said that there were three larger lacerations at the back of the head and two fingers, along with a thumb, severed and others lacerated. Also, his right ear was cut in half. He continued by saying that he was unable to operate on the victim, because he had not been stable enough, so that is why this metallic piece was still in his brain. He said given the proximity of this piece and one of the lacerations he believed it to be a broken off piece of the machete.
So we were starting off this investigation, of the opinion, that this may have been another deal that went bad and he ran into somebody that wasn’t satisfied with just screwing him over, first. Or it could have been somebody that wasn’t satisfied for the screwing he was getting, it you get my drift. Lovers spat? I tended to lean to the latter because of the viciousness of the attack and the injuries received. The back of his head was split wide open in three places, one of his ears had been split in two, several fingers severed. He appeared to have been attacked with a machete. All of these appeared to support my theory. So I start to go through all of his stuff at my office to glean information for possible suspects. There were papers on shady deals he was involved in with car dealers. There were three cars along his driveway for sale that night, so that was a good possibility, since he was lying on the ground by them. Information on a land deal in Brazil he was involved in. It looked like he got screwed on that deal because he purchased a bunch of acres, in Brazil, at an elevation that was not conducive to farming. That was why he bought it, in the first place. There were some bad dealings with some other Brazilians on some “gems” that he bought. Nothing more than colored rocks. He then tried to pawn them off on some unsuspecting northwestern Indiana residents, next to Chicago. They were sending him threatening letters and so on. I was familiar with most of that stuff beforehand, because I was called to investigate on his behalf on some of them and on the behalf of others on some of them, prior to his demise. Then finally, all of his personal relationships. He had love letters, cards, and videos. It appeared I had four directions I could go. Which should I choose. I needed to see what the videos might produce. His videos were of himself and his gay friends and lovers. Most of them were of them doing each other and I quite honestly had to watch them to see who was in them; because I was thinking, they may be the most likely suspects. That my friends, was the most disgusting thing I had to do, during my 30 year career as a detective.
So for about three months I followed all kinds of leads. They took me to the gay community, into the automotive dealer circles, into the area of gem dealers, and last but not least into a possible connection to Brazil. I can honestly say I never worked harder on any case.

But one Friday evening, while finally relaxing at home a little, I had just placed some steaks on the grill for my wife, my two daughters and myself. The phone rang. I hated it when the phone rang. I just knew it was work. I don’t know how many times in those years I missed even a simple family meal, because of that dam phone! It was the local prosecutor, John Branham. At that time, but not now, many prosecutors were part time or allowed to have a private practice on the side. Ours was no different. John and I were very good friends and we had a very high respect for each other and our abilities in the law enforcement area. John says, “I need you to come to my office.” I said, “Are you **********g me!? I just put some steaks on the grill.” So he pretty much pleads with me that I need to be there as soon as I can. I tell him I’m on my way. I get to his civil office and he meets me at the door, because like most offices, that time of evening, it was locked up. Anyway, he tells me there are two people in his office. One is a mother, who is one of his civil clients and the other is her son, Brandon Liseniquia. Brandon in a senior in high school. My oldest daughter is a senior in high school as is the prosecutor’s two daughter’s. I wondered if they knew him!? So John says, “Jane called me, because she is a civil client and started telling me that Brandon has some information on the Eldon Anson killing. As she proceeds I stop her, because I suddenly realize that if she tells me too much, then I have to recuse myself from prosecuting the case and I don’t want to do that. What she has told me already is a shock and you better prepare yourself.” So I go into his office and he introduces me to the mother and son and leaves the office.

Brandon starts by telling me that he has a friend named John Velesquez. He was at Velesquez’s home a couple of days ago and he was looking at John’s scrap book. In it were newspaper clippings of the murder of Eldon Anson. Headlines read “Gruesome Murder” and so on. As they were talking Velesquez got all excited and ended up telling Brandon , “We did that!” Brandon, thought he was just BSing him. Velesquez showed him all the clippings and started telling him how he, Clayton Carter Jr., Eric Esch, and Jarrod Wall killed Eldon Anson. Branham was right. I was in shock. I didn’t know Velesquez or Esch, but I was extremely familiar with Carter and Wall. How familiar? Carter’s father was a dispatcher with the sheriff’s department. He was in my oldest daughter’s senior class. He took my daughter to the junior prom! Wall, I didn’t find out until later, was the first boy to kiss my oldest daughter! They were both chosen as Students of the Year a year prior. My wife, daughter, and myself, sat at a banquet table with Jarrod Wall, and his parents for that event, honoring the two kids. Jarrod’s father was an eighth grade teacher. My youngest was in eighth grade. Yep, you guessed it, he was her teacher! So Brandon, continues by saying that he had nothing to do with this and that when Velesquez told him he was going to keep his mouth shut, because he didn’t want to be involved. However, he couldn’t keep it to himself, because he knew it to be horribly wrong and so after a couple of tormenting days, he went to his mother. Mom was in shock and then called Branham. Mom was in shock!!! She had no idea what was going through my head at the time!

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-02-2017

Default SOMETHING TO PONDER

Speaking of stories - here is something to ponder.

If you were scared half to death more than once - would you still be alive to tell about it
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 02-02-2017

Talking

Shut up KC we're trying to watch the movie. Intermission is over Jim we have our cokes keep going.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
Speaking of stories - here is something to ponder.

If you were scared half to death more than once - would you still be alive to tell about it
For me, it's always the same half.....
Old 02-02-2017

Yes, i just made a big batch of popcorn!
Old 02-02-2017

I think KC ponders to much sometime s but it is always makes u say hmmm
Old 02-02-2017

Default Ok Jim

I am waiting................
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 02-02-2017

Default Continuing

Brandon and his mom left and I met with John again. I told him what I had found out. He and I just sat there staring at each other for the longest time, in total silence. He said what are you going to do now? I told him I was going to call for some help, because there were too many players and too many places to go for just me to handle it all. He agreed. By this time it was nearly 10 p.m. He called Mark McIntosh, the Circuit Court Judge and told him he needed him in his chambers, for some search warrants and arrest warrants. I called the sheriff’s detective and couple of other state police detectives and had them come to the courthouse. It may seem funny me calling the prosecutor and circuit court judge, by their first names, but we all knew each other and were friends. It is a small community of 35,000 and we were close group of law enforcement. So, I told Mark what I knew and that I needed a search warrant for John Velesquez’s home and one for Jarrod Wall’s car. I also needed arrest warrants for Wall, Velesquez, Esch, and Carter. He granted it all and called in his clerk to write them up. I told him not to sleep too sound because, before this night was over, I had a feeling I would need him again. John and Mark both agreed. As a matter of fact John Branham went down to the jail; awaiting our arrival, with the suspects and our pending interviews, with them. Just in case we needed anything from him, he wanted to be available. I told him to put on the coffee down at the jail and we would be back as soon as we could. It should be obvious to you why I asked for the search warrant for Velesquez’s house but Wall’s car you may be wondering why. As the story was told to me by Liseniquia, he stated that they used Wall’s car that night, which will also become an issue later in the story.
By this time it was well past midnight. I felt that we needed to go Velesquez’s first. We had some leverage on him, given his comments and statements to Brandon, so I felt he would be the easiest one to break. All of us arrived at his home. His dad came to the door, fresh out of bed and wanted to know what was going on. I told him we had a search warrant for the home and an arrest warrant for his son, for the murder of Eldon Anson. Needless to say it was dramatic. We went to John’s room and started the search. Found the clippings Brandon saw and some paintings. The paintings were of cops and bad guys in a shootout. The bad guys were all gang bangers with blue bandanas on their heads or in the hip pocket. It became clear later on, that Velesquez fancied himself as a “gang banger”. He was disappointed, when his family moved here from Indianapolis, that there weren’t any gangs in the high school. He carried a blue bandana everywhere he went. The Crips and the Bloods things. He also, was attempting to start a gang in the school, but the country kids had no use for that. Anyway, we found a gun also. It was a S&W 9mm. So then the sheriff’s detective and I took Velesquez to jail and the rest of the guys went and finished the search. We arrived at the jail, mom and dad followed along, in their car. Since these guys were only 17 we had to give them some time to “consult” with each other. The interview started after that. It turned out that Velesquez, wasn’t directly involved in the murder. The plan went down like this. Clayton Carter Jr., the dispatcher’s son, had obviously heard his big mouth father talking about various police investigations and so on, and told these guys that Anson had guns and drugs, at his house. What is interesting about this is, there never were any investigations or cases done on Anson, that involved drugs or guns. This was all the figment of Carter's old man's imagination. I checked with other agencies (FBI, DEA, ATF) just to make sure. Three of these guys thought that was a good motive to go up to Anson’s and rob him. These idiots had already been involved in burglarizing a deputy sheriff’s house and stealing one of his guns. Information that we were just made aware of and was the gun found in Velesquez's room. We knew the deputy had been ripped off but not by whom. It turns out that Wall's car was used in that burglary also and the same four players were involved. In addition; these guys decided to go down to Indianapolis during the girls state basketball championship. It just so happened that Huntington North (their school) girls basketball team was playing for the state championship and won, by the way. So to continue, they go out, all hyped up over the win and take this gun, driving all over downtown and they shoot the town up! We checked with IPD and they did have a bunch of cars shot up and some business windows shattered, but no injuries. Like I said earlier, three of them thought that ripping off Anson was a good idea, so the fourth one went along, with the plan. But the fourth one, Jarrod Wall, had other motives. Motives that didn’t become known, to us, until a couple of months later, after Wall’s trial. At that point many things became abundantly clear, but we were steering blind at the moment.
So, the plan was that the four of them would drive up to Anson’s, pretend to be there to buy one of the cars he had for sale. Once they enticed him outside, they were going to knock him out and then steal his guns and drugs. So these frigin geniuses, set out to follow this plan. This plan was devised by Jarrod Wall. Wall was smart, but the others were clearly dumber than a box of rocks. There was no plan by Wall to disguise themselves. They were just going to go up, knock on the door, he was going to answer, and they were going to cold cock him and he of course would never know who did this to him?!! So as all well thought out plans, things start to unravel. A date was set to pull this job. All four were in agreement, it was perfect. Two days before that date, Carter breaks his leg. He is now out of the mix. The night of the murder, Wall picks up Esch, in his car. They drive to Velesquez’s house to pick him up. Velesquez is bummed out. His mom and dad left about an hour before, leaving him in charge of his three younger siblings, 2 to 12 yrs. of age. He said he can’t go and was upset that he was going to miss it. So Esch and Wall leave to carry out the plan. For brevity and clarity, I am combining Velesquez’s statement and Esch’s eventual statement at this point. They pull up to Anson’s house. Get out of the car and knock on the door and he answers. They say they are there to buy one of his cars, he has for sale. He leads them out to one of the cars. Anson, says to Jarrod Wall, “Don’t I know you? Aren’t you a Wall?”, as they walk to the car. Esch ends up saying that he hears gun shots. He was far enough back and in the dark he couldn’t tell, at the time, that Wall had shot at Anson, with a .22 Cal. pistol. Not the one found at Velesquez’s. This .22 was Wall’s, given to him by his father. Anson, we found out later had been shot in the back of the head once; shot in the ear, splitting it in two and was missed by the rest of the shots. This now explains why there was a shiny metallic object seen in the x-ray, by the doctor, but we were unable to verify it, because we never had an autopsy and it was never retrieved. By this time Esch panics and is going nuts. He has no idea why Wall was trying to kill Anson. That wasn’t in the plan!!! Esch turns tail and runs to Wall’s car, to get into it and drive off and leave him. One problem. A big one for Esch. Wall’s car is a standard shift. He has never driven anything but an automatic. He starts and kills the car at least three or four times. The headlights bathing Wall and Anson, while Wall in taking a hatchet to the back of Anson’s head. Esch is able to hear Anson screaming, “What is going on?! Who is doing this to me?!” All while covering up the back of his head, with his hands, resulting in the severed fingers. The final blow with the hatchet, is deep enough into the skull, that it gets stuck. Wall then takes off his coat, throws it over Anson’s head and the hatchet, puts his foot on the back of Anson’s neck and pries the hatchet out, with both hands. He then runs back to his car, with the look of hatred, which Esch said he had never seen on anyone’s face before. He wasn’t sure if it was for Anson or him, for trying to ditch Wall. Esch suddenly was scared. So scared he pissed himself. Wall tells him to get out of the car. Esch knows he is next. He gets out and Wall gets into the driver’s seat and waits for Esch to get into the passenger seat and they drive off. They drive to Velesquez’s house again. They stop at a local roller rink and Wall takes his jacket, that is soaked in Anson’s blood and throws it into a dumpster. Just before Velesquez’s house is an old iron bridge, crossing the Wabash River. Wall stops the car, gets out, puts the hatchet into a cammo face mask, commonly used for hunting and throws it into the river. They go to Velesquez and tell him what they had just done. Mom and dad had not returned yet. Velesquez is intrigued. So much so, that when the local paper comes out the next day describing the incident, as well as they could, with the limited information that I had given them, at the time; he starts collecting articles for the scrap book. Nearly every day for over a week it was in the headlines of the local paper and frequently in the various Fort Wayne papers. Then again frequently for the next three months, while my investigation was continuing. Eventually, being seen by Brandon Liseniquia.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 02-02-2017

Default Final installment

So, Velesquez was placed into a cell, his parents were sent home shocked and shaken. We were about to shock more people on this night. We then break up and two go to Carter’s home and bring him and his family to the jail. Two others go get Esch and his family. Those two are interviewed and they both gave it up. Full details and corroboration of everything that we heard from Velesquez. The dispatcher father, Clayton Carter Sr. broke down and cried like a baby. I told him he had nobody to blame but himself. Had he done what was expected of him, to keep his mouth shut about things here heard at the jail, maybe none of this would have happened. Then to embellish those things with untruths, gave his son, what he needed to come up with this crazy idea. He and his wife Hazel left totally devastated. The sheriff never disciplined the father, saying that he was suffering enough and he couldn’t bring himself to do it. He should have been terminated immediately, but I wasn’t his boss. Lucky for him.
At this time, myself and another guy go get Wall. By this time it is about 3:30 am, when I’m knocking on the Wall’s front door. Dennis Wall answers, followed soon by Pam, his wife, Jarrod’s mother. I didn’t have to introduce myself. I told them I needed to speak to Jarrod. They wanted to know why and I told them it would become evident, when we talked to him. They were insistent about knowing what was going on. I said sit down and I will tell you. I proceeded, not in the details just presented, but told them I was there to arrest Jarrod and take his car, which a wrecker was hooking up to as we spoke. I told them this was all concerning the murder of Eldon Anson. They were dumbfounded to say the least. This was at a time, when I still had good hearing. The chair I was sitting on had a partial wall behind it, apparently a patrician wall for the hallway, that leads to the bedrooms. I could hear someone behind me and I swear I could hear a heart pounding, behind that wall. Man, to be able to hear like that again!! I said, “Jarrod, you might as well come on out and get this over with, because we are not leaving here without you.” He then came around the corner and I told him to get dressed. At that point we took him into custody and told his parents to follow us if they wished, which they did. Again, we gave them an opportunity to speak. I have no idea what they talked about. But when we sat down to do an interview, it was clear, Jarrod had come to terms, with his situation and decided it was best not to say anything. Not to ask for an attorney, but literally, to just not say anything. Mom and dad were just zombies. I laid out all the gruesome details and explained that we had already interviewed Velesquez and that while they were “consulting”, the officers interviewing Esch, told us what he said. Carter had been interviewed also; however, he knew nothing of what transpired that night other than what he was told by Esch. So, in the end, Wall said nothing. In my career, I came upon only one other suspect that looked at me, during the interview process, that actually gave me a chill down my back. Jarrod Wall was the first and the second was a Kevin Corcoran. Corcoran killed his parents, one of his brothers, his brother’s brother-in-law, his brother’s best friend and the brother-in-law’s best friend. A total of 6 people. He too gave me that chill and sat there silent and just listened. He is sitting on death row at Michigan City State Prison, as I write this. I have never gone to an execution, but I may make an exception in his. He shot both his parent’s heads, clear off with a shotgun, then subsequently killed the others with a semi-auto pistol. I would volunteer to push the plunger for the syringe, on this a-hole. I could sleep like a baby that night, I just know it.

So eventually, Esch, Velesquez and Carter all plead guilty to their involvement in the murder, the burglary of the cop’s house, and other incidental charges. They were all convicted of Conspiracy to commit robbery, Burglary of the cops residence, and Criminal Recklessness regarding the Indy incident. Wall made us go through the motions of a trial. Not sure why. I think the parents were struggling so much, with the whole thing, they could not bring themselves to believe it. They ended up hiring a defense attorney. I was friends with this attorney, who was out of Fort Wayne and very capable of putting up a good defense. He came to me and told me, which he knew I would keep in confidence, that he was going through the motions only for the family. There was no defense for the kid and he knew it. The evidence and testimony was insurmountable. We never found the jacket, because the dumpster had been emptied three months ago. We went to the Wabash River, took the deputies little fishing boat, with our evidence tech and the deputy in the boat. I stood on top of the bridge, with a rock and dropped it, where I thought they should search. The tech, dropped a magnet in the spot where I dropped the rock and pulled up the cammo facemask, with the hatchet in it! There were still hairs from the victim, thanks to the mask, on the hatchet. I was also able to determine that Jarrod had gone to the local K-Mart store and purchased a hatchet exactly like this one, just days prior to the murder. The vehicle had trace evidence of the victim’s blood, found in it, which came from the jacket he tossed into the dumpster. Then of course the corroborated statements from the other players, that all testified against Wall. Frank Kimbrough, the attorney, did a stellar job but he knew he was toast before he even set foot in the courtroom. Frank and I drank a few beers after that and a couple of other notable cases he tried to beat me in. He was a fierce competitor, as was I, but we never let that get in the way of liking each other very much. I think we had a great deal of respect for each other.

My big concern over this whole thing was my youngest daughter. The oldest got over the fact that she had dealings with two of the perps. There was never an emotional attachment and she is pretty level headed, even as a senior in high school. My wife and I got over our relationships with Wall’s parents, but Amanda my youngest she was still in the eighth grade and Dennis Wall was still her teacher. It turned out well. Wall, with all his faults and his own insecurities, never let that affect, how he dealt with my daughter. I will be forever appreciative of that. I had a lot of sleepless nights thinking about it at the time.

Now I bet you are asking yourself, “What was the motive?” It took some time to get that figured out. It wasn’t until after the trial, that Wall finally talked about things. It turned out that Jarrod and his father, were never close. He tried to please his father, but nothing was ever good enough. He would win second place in 4H and dad was upset that he did not win first place. He was salutatorian of his class but dad wanted him to be valedictorian and so on. His dad had a brother, named Derrick. Derrick, ended up being more of a father figure for Jarrod that Dennis was. He was always supportive and a positive influence. I never figured out how mom fit into the scheme of things. She was apparently just there. Anyway, Derrick was gay. Are you beginning to get a picture yet? Derrick, was also a “friend” of Eldon Anson. Derrick ended up contracting Aids. Derrick ended up being shunned by everybody in the family, except Jarrod. Jarrod began to question his own masculinity. He wasn’t sure what he was. I can only imagine 30 years in prison may have taken care of that question. Nevertheless, Derrick ended up dying, as many did early on, in the Aids scare. Jarrod was devastated. He loved his uncle and lost the only person that really cared about him and understood him. It was all Anson’s fault. Anson, gave Derrick Aids. This was strangely intuitive on Jarrod’s part, because nobody had a clue, not even Anson himself, that he had Aids, until his hospitalization after the attack. It was just a young kid trying to rationalize the loss of somebody he loved and that is what he came up with. So, that explained the anger I saw in the attack. He had a hatred for Anson like no other. Dennis and Pam never recovered from this and eventually divorced. Like I said Jarrod is out now, but I honestly have no idea where he is. I could find out easy enough, but have no interest. He did his time, according to the law and he has his right to whatever life he leads. He apparently was a model prisoner. He finished getting his high school diploma, BA, and Masters in prison. He ended up becoming a teacher in the prison and eventually was released in half the time he was sentenced, due to his accomplishments in prison. He apparently was an excellent teacher in the system. All of the others are out now too. Carter Jr. did the least amount of time, even though he kind of started it. Esch did the next least amount of time and Velesquez did the most. Interesting isn’t it? The judge, has since passed away, so I can say this now. Before sentencing of Velesquez, Mark called me on the phone. He said come up to my chambers. I did as directed. He was my friend, but he was the circuit court judge, somebody you don’t say no to, when it came to work related things. He said that he had heard of the stuff I found in Velesquez’s room and he wanted to see it. I got the stuff out of evidence and took it to him. He was appalled that this kid got excited about shooting cops, when he saw the paintings and the clippings. There were a couple of other things that came up in the pre-sentence investigation, done by the probation department. Mark looked at me and said, we never had this conversation. I said, “Yes your honor” and left. He ended up maxing out Velesquez on his charges, which actually gave him more time than Wall!! However, Velesquez got himself a jailhouse lawyer to help him get his time reduced and succeeded, and subsequently did get out in 20 years, I believe.

The prosecutor, John Branham, had a brother-in-law, who was a writer. Or at least thought he was. So he ended up writing the book. It was more about his niece’s relationship to the killers. He never even interviewed me, only read my reports, because John asked me if he could borrow them, for his brother-in-law. Had the author interviewed me he may not have written the book or at least thought that his niece’s relationship to the killers was not so important. She was in their class and on the day of the killing, gave Esch a ride to school. So having said that, I always felt her involvement somewhat inconsequential, in comparison to what others experienced. Oh, just as a side note. That girl is now the County Prosecutor for Huntington County! Yes, she got her law degree, came home, worked with her dad for a couple of years, he retired, and she ran for election and took over. I worked with her on a few cases before I retired. Let me just say, she will never be what her dad was.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 02-03-2017

Thanks Jim !!!