Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 04-18-2009

Default Air Accumulator

I've had a couple of 97 WLWBs in the shop in the last week and have found while back flushing the water filters, and recharging the accumulators the the bladders have been leaking and sending rusty water into the water system,
to check for a faulty bladder, open a faucet and air up the tank to appox 20 -25 lbs,if it doesnt air up or you get air out of the faucet, the tank needs to be replaced
Our Address is 1900 Slack St. Pea Ridge Ark. 72751,
Just east of Bentonville, Ark, in the North West Corner
Old 04-18-2009
Former Bird Owner

You can also simplify the plumbing and eliminate the accumulator tank by using a variable speed pump. I converted to a ShurFlo 5.7 GPM pump more than a year ago and I'm very pleased with its service.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-18-2009

let me just say one thing I did realize about the accumulator tank, is it isn't only in the system as an air accumulator, so it would be a good thing to keep one in your system no mater what pump system you have , its also an expansion for the water heater pressure, so you dont get high pressure because of high water pressure blasts from the water heater raising the pressure, so even with city water, you might still get blasts when you open a faucet becauce there is a check valve in the city water connection to prevent the high pressure for going back in the water supply live, so it just waits for you to open a faucet , flush the toilet or take a shower
Old 04-18-2009
Former Bird Owner

Would this apply to those who have AquaHot water heating systems? I've operated without an accumulator tank since installing the variable speed pump without incident. I have never experienced a 'pressure blast' as you describe.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-18-2009

In my own opinion, with all the water hose type lines BB uses in the water system , the hoses do expand to prevent some of the pressure from building up, but I would think over time, the expanding of these hoses would cause the clamps to loosen and cause water leaks, so as the ounce of pervention would be to leave an expansion tank in the system, Lowes has the 2 gallon tank in stock, I personally turn the tank fitting up and put the connections in to mount it this way just to make installation easier , it does put the air valve down, but you can still get it it ,or put an extension on it to make checking it easier, the new tank is precharged to 25 lbs