Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-08-2017

Default Perkins/Kohler Very Little Power on Leg 2

On the way to the Oswego Harbor Fest we lost leg 2 on the generator. Sometime later the Perkins shut down. I suspect this was due to the fan being powered by leg 2 and the engine overheating. Stopped at a Powertech dealer in Indianapolis on the way home and they measured power at the outlets. Leg one was at 157v leg two at 16v. They thought that ruled out the regulator but that's about as much as they wanted to do with it. I have checked/flipped the circuit breakers in the genny compartment and in the closet inside. No power issues on shore
power.

Any other thoughts on items to check? I've begun research on a new generator.

fdkerr@cox.net

Old 08-08-2017

Frank did you have a chance to read this thread:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...t=10178&page=5

Has part number that I went with as well as how to test the stator and look for the small fuses if there are any.
VB 1570
Old 08-08-2017

Yes, I read it Sunday. I'm still holding out hope for some small thing that I've overlooked. Going to be a hot trip to Casper.

fdkerr@cox.net

Old 08-08-2017

Only easy things I knew to test when mine acted similarly was the small inline fuses, making sure no breakers were tripped, and making sure all wiring and ice cube relays were ok. I'm sure in Casper you'll have a team willing to help you dig in deeper!
VB 1570
Old 08-08-2017

Default PT generator

Have you checked the breaker beside the generator? Accesable with the generator slid out. I had trouble with this breaker triping, then overheated and melted one side of the breaker. Turned out to be a not tight buss bar on the back of the breaker mount. Had to remove the breaker and the mount to tighten the bar.
Old 08-09-2017
Gardner

I spent a fortune repairing the Kohler head in my previous coach, only to have it fail again two years later (naturally on a long trip in HOT weather). I put in a new $$$$regulator and it lasted two hours.

The Kohler head is OLD and though you might get it running, how long will it survive?

I finally put on a new head from Central Georgia Generator like several others have done and it did the trick. It takes a bit of work and fabrication for the mount, but removing the constant fear of failure on the road is well worth it.

The Perkins will run forever
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-09-2017

Thanks Gardner. I read your post about the generator change you made. Looks like that it is the next step. I don't want to put one dime into the Kohler if changing it out is where I'm going to end up eventually.

I actually know why my generator died..... its because I started researching new seats.

fdkerr@cox.net

Old 08-09-2017

Frank, I'd run up to colaws and look at what they have.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankK View Post
On the way to the Oswego Harbor Fest we lost leg 2 on the generator. Sometime later the Perkins shut down. I suspect this was due to the fan being powered by leg 2 and the engine overheating. Stopped at a Powertech dealer in Indianapolis on the way home and they measured power at the outlets. Leg one was at 157v leg two at 16v. They thought that ruled out the regulator but that's about as much as they wanted to do with it. I have checked/flipped the circuit breakers in the genny compartment and in the closet inside. No power issues on shore
power.

Any other thoughts on items to check? I've begun research on a new generator.
Frank,
I saw your post on Mike's thread and had a thought on your generator. My Kohler dropped to 70 volts on one leg and nothing on the other. In troubleshooting I found I wasn't getting voltage to flash the field on one slip ring. The trouble turned out to be the connection on top of the brush holder (under the shroud on the rear of the generator). There were three wires connected on each brush: the brush lead, 12 volts to flash the field, and one to the regulator. I took those connections apart and cleaned them well with a Dremel tool. Worked like a champ, and best of all it was free. Just a thought if you haven't already checked it.
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com