Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-12-2020

Default FC Window Tint

Hi All,

I'm in the process of having some cracked windows replaced. The bronze/amber laminated glass in our FC's is no longer available. As such, I've had clear laminated glass installed. Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate any tint film that matches the original bronze hue. Has anyone had success matching this color? If so, please provide the details of the tint product you used.

Short of finding a match, I suppose I'll pull the remaining windows to replace and tint them to match. That's not something that really excites me...

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2020

Something like this might be close...

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 02-12-2020

Thanks. That looks like a good temporary solution but I'm looking for a more permanent and professional install. Several local tint shops have exhausted their suppliers in the search for a good match. I'm hoping someone else has had success with bronze tint film and will share the particulars of what they used.

Last edited by WanderScott; 02-12-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2020

They can be painted to match also...

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 02-14-2020

Ha! It may come to that.
Old 02-14-2020

There are places that can get or make real bronze windows. https://www.rvwindows.com/company/ seems to be one of them.
Old 02-14-2020

Thanks for the suggestion, badandy. That's just the kind of place that could solve this issue and they were a pleasure to talk to on the phone. Unfortunately, my location made this option cost prohibitive, given the border between us.

I've had the local glass shop pull all the windows from the 2 front living room frames. 3 of the 4 original windows were good. They've all been replaced with clear laminated glass and will be tinted with the closest matching shade of ceramic tint. I'm hoping the ceramic tint will also reduce heat in the summer.

The 3 leftover original panels will be cut down to replace the smaller broken windows in the rear, where the twin beds are. I'm hoping any noticeable difference in tint between the front and rear will be minimized by separating them as much as possible. I'm satisfied that it will all look original from the exterior, but I don't want a hodge-podge of different coloured windows when looking outside from the interior.

After that, if the ceramic tint is an improvement, I'll likely add a clear layer of the ceramic film to the remaining original windows.

The frames came out easy, but I hope I can get them back in.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

To anyone that is considering removing side windows on a FC, here’s my experience:

1. Inside, pop the interior frames off by removing screw caps and screws. This is a good time to hit them with some dish soap and a magic eraser. They clean up nice.

2. Remove the alarm sensor wires that are attached to the top corner of each window or you’ll have an awkward experience when the frames pop out.

3. Move outside. Depending on seal style, remove the locking strip in the centre of the seal, or pop out the tongue & groove style seal. Use a screwdriver, dish soap, and be gentle. Years of dirt and grime can almost glue the rubber together. Once removed, I washed the locking strips up to make reinstallation much easier.

4. With 2 or 3 large screwdrivers, slowly pry between the window frame and the seal, not between the seal and the bus body. You want to pop the window out, leaving the seal in place. Gently pry, applying pressure to pop the frame outward. I focused on the bottom edge of the windows, working my way back and forth until the bottom of the frame popped out. Once you get an edge out, the fight is over and you may gently pull out the window.

5. Do whatever you’re doing to your windows. In my case, I installed clear laminated glass in the front living room windows, then had them tinted with a ceramic auto tint. I then had the good OE glass from the living room windows cut down to replace some smaller broken panes in the rear of the bus. Tremclad paint in flat black was easy to apply to the faded frames, making them look like new.

6. Now the fun. Time to reinstall. Generously apply dish soap to the window seal and frame. Set the frame in it’s seal. Using your screwdrivers, gently start prying the window inward. As you work your way around the window, you will eventually be able to use one screwdriver to slip the seal over the frame. Pushing the frame in by hand is also necessary and you’ll make several trips back and forth and around the window as it slowly moves into it’s seated position. It not hard, just tedious.

7. Finally, the tongue & groove seal can be sealed easily with a screwdriver. Dish soap is your friend. Use it liberally on the screwdriver and seal. The locking strip requires a special tool, unless you have a week to spare. Here’s what I used: https://amzn.to/2xKd8nA.

8. Lastly, reinstall the inner alarm wires and frames while enjoying your your new windows.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanks Trent, great post, I like detail
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanks. Excellent information.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79