Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 01-20-2020
Forum owner

Default supercharging the aquahot

The other day i was talking to Mike M and we were talking about putting either a 230vac heating element in the aquahot in our coachs,or another 120vac element.
We have the power in the genny,and when we are plugged into 50amp shore power.
If we had more heat from electric we could run the inside heat without using the diesel burner.
We can add a bung easily in the AH tank,so we could have 2 120v elements,or one 230 v element.
Thoughts?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-20-2020

I don't think it would make a lot of difference.

The existing element is 1500 watts which is about 5000 btus. If you could find a 240 volt element that fits, it will probably be around 2800 watts. 2800 watts is still under 10000 btus. If you could stuff a 4500 watt in the hole, you're still only getting 15000 btus, and you're burning 20 amps to do it.

The diesel burner puts out about 50000 btus.

It would be better than the 110 volt on shore power, but I don't think it would keep up with the heat loss from the coach in cold weather.

Using the generator to make hot water instead of the burner isn't as efficient as just burning diesel to make heat. Unless you're running the generator anyway for something else.
Old 01-20-2020

I think the Newell,s aquahot have 2 elements, I think I remember that.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 01-20-2020

That is correct Newell uses 2. They are 1500-1700 watt 120v and 4000-4500 watt 220v. So yes it can be done.
1994 BMC (Sold)
Old 01-20-2020

Would be more efficient to just use the AC power to run a couple of direct electric heaters. Sorry to be a “wise *** engineer”
Old 01-20-2020

Jim
I believe you are correct. I have three under cabinet, factory, heaters, and a 500 watt baseboard heater. When I stay out off grid below freezing, they keep the bus nice and warm, the aquahot with its electric heater element, keeps the basement warm. I then run the generator all night. Works fine. I have the burner for the aquahot on, but the electric heaters do the job.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 01-20-2020

I do as Peter. You need to deal with it as you would hot evenings . Run the Genny and all will be fine , no need to take chances . In fact did it just last week in 20 degree weather .

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 01-20-2020

Our Dynasty has the AH with 2 110 volt elements. It works well for hot water if the ambient temps are 45 and above. But at colder temps you need the burner. When the genset is running we just use the burner
The AH does not use much fuel

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 01-20-2020

As stated the Newells are equipped with a high watt 220V element. On gennie, it makes more sense to fire the AH diesel for heat. But when plugged in to a pedestal where the power is already paid for, it will heat the coach down to about 35 degrees outside. Below that the electric will not keep up, and must be supplemented with the diesel. On the Newells you can leave both on for just such conditions. Since the cut in temp for the electric is higher, the diesel only comes on when the electric will not keep up with the demand. Hope this info helps you in deciding what to do.
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad
Old 01-20-2020
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I believe the Newells also have a 20K generator.
I think another 120v element on the other leg would be ideal. It would just give more options for heat. We use the elect toe kick heater when cold, but there are times when it would be handy to have more from the elect water heater instead of having to use diesel. Especially when we have had the Webasto fail.
Is there there another threaded hole in the AH?
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com