Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2020

Default Tires off the ground

As I am lifting my Bird to replace airbags I came up with a question I have been meaning to ask. What are people’s opinion of the tires being off the ground when leveling with the hydraulic jacks. I have seen many SOBs ,at rv parks/campsites, that have both front wheels and one side of the drive axle completely off the ground due to the uneven terrain. Is the suspension designed for this? Or Does this put a overload on the airbags? Not concerned with the SOBs but is a Wanderlodge okay to do this or should it be avoided?

Thanks
Erwin
“LUCKY 27”
Old 02-23-2020

I would not be concerned with having the front wheels off the ground. Have done it many times when required. Do not lift the rears (especially both rears) that is where your parking brakes are located. Especially on slopes, you do NOT want to have the rears off the ground.
Old 02-23-2020

If a campsite was that unlevel, I would move to a different spot. I use my leveling jacks but only for minor adjustments. All 4 wheels stay on the ground and most of the weight stays on the wheels.

Having your jacks so high that your drive axle is off the ground is dangerous. That is typically the only axle that has a parking brake.

I have also heard of windows cracking from the frame twisting stress of trying to level using hydraulic jacks when the ground is very uneven.

Minor adjustments only is what I recommend.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 02-23-2020

May want to look under your coach along the top of the frame for any broken body to frame attachments which can happen when twisting the frame from leveling etc.

Picture of what I found and had repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken frame to coach attachment.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	66439  
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 02-23-2020

My two cents. I bought my bird form a very large high end dealer. It was the oldest coach on the lot. I had them replace all the air bags, the brake cans and the tires. They had it for almost 2 months. I stopped by one day and the my sales guy took me out on his golf car. I found the coach completely off the ground. No tires or wheels. It was like that for a few weeks. It was on a concrete shop floor. I have been all over it and see no damage from that. I agree the front axle off the ground a little is no big deal. I don't remember how the shop had the coach anchored. They had techs running in and out of it too while it was up like that. I have seen folks work on the rear axles up on the levelers. They use jack stands too and they don't take all the rear tires off the ground at the same time.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 02-24-2020
Tom Blackwell

I am not familiar with all of the coaches, but most of the HWH jacks are mounted on a pivot-i guess so they will not hang up on the ground when in transit. If the rear wheels leave the ground there is absolutely nothing keeping the bus from falling off of the jacks.
Old 02-24-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtom24 View Post
I am not familiar with all of the coaches, but most of the HWH jacks are mounted on a pivot-i guess so they will not hang up on the ground when in transit. If the rear wheels leave the ground there is absolutely nothing keeping the bus from falling off of the jacks.
Previous the time wide bodies came out that statement might be correct. But since the original poster has a WB that statement would be incorrect.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278