Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-10-2011

Default Stainless Steel Panels

One of my panels is separating from the door on the top edge. It looks like it should be sitting in a groove. Removing the screws underneath didn't release the panel. What else would be holding the panel to the door?
Old 03-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Moved my Stuff ? View Post
One of my panels is separating from the door on the top edge. It looks like it should be sitting in a groove. Removing the screws underneath didn't release the panel. What else would be holding the panel to the door?
Thesae panels are held in place with a combination of 3M tape and glue. I had to remove one on my '99 and it was impossible to remove without destroying it. The glue/caulk hardens and the tape used is the same automotive product used to hold car trim parts in place. If it is just loose on the top I would attempt to push some adhesive caulk behind the panel and clamp it in place. Be careful not to bend it when pulling it away to make room for the adhesive. Any bend will not be repairable.
I also had to replace one on my M450. These are easy as they are a flat panel. The 43LXi will require a piece with a bend at the top to fit the groove. Parliament supplied the exact same mirror stainless.

Last edited by G_man; 03-10-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 03-10-2011

Ian,
I replaced one of these panels on my 450. I talked to Allan Barbee at Blue-Bird(the school bus side). They used a product called sika-flex and 3m tape. I used 3m tape and 3m windshield adhesive, applied the same way they did(tape around the edge and across the middle and squiggled the adhesive in between the tape and clamped it overnight. Came out just like new. If it is just loose I would try what Rich suggested
Austintown,Ohio

Last edited by Icefixr66; 03-10-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-11-2011

Liquid Nails works great. Just try to get some under the loose area.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 03-12-2011

Don't use Liquid Nails. It's not a permanent fix. Will fail.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 03-12-2011
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2travel View Post
Don't use Liquid Nails. It's not a permanent fix. Will fail.
Morey could you elaborate on your experience with Liquid Nails failing. I've used it with success and so has Shane and others so if it has failed for you we'd like to learn why.

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 03-12-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2011

Rob, thats what I used to fix your panels. Glad it still has held. I believe the trick is clamping it directly after the adhesive application. and letting it cure overnight helps
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 03-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
Rob, thats what I used to fix your panels. Glad it still has held. I believe the trick is clamping it directly after the adhesive application. and letting it cure overnight helps
I just removed, cleaned and reattached one of my panels this afternoon. It was coming loose at the top as has been described. I was able to reach in with a long, sharp knife and slowly cut the remaining glue and tape. I had previously removed the bottom 4 screws. Then I was able to twist the panel, perhaps better described as rotating it to release the remaining stuck spots with no damage to the panel. It helped that I'm in Florida and the sun was heating it nicely too.

I used a razor blade to remove all the tape, glue, Sikaflex from both the panel and the cargo door and then cleaned with lacquer thinner. I got new 3M double sided tape at Lowes along with a tube of Sikabond. After applying the 3M tape, I generously ran the Sikabond so that it was thicker than the tape. By having cleaned off all the old adhesive, I then could push the panel into place until the 3M tape was fully adhered to the cargo door. The Sikabond squishes out and makes great contact. No clamping is required, the tape is your clamp. I installed the screws and it has been about 4 hours and its not moved a smidgen. I see no reason clamps couldn't be used as a backup, but I would fear damaging the finish on the stainless. Since the Sikabond does not expand, there doesn't seem to be any need for clamps as long as the tape has fully bonded. In fact, I'm betting BB used the tape as a clamp, otherwise why is it there in the first place - you could just use the liquid adhesive.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 03-12-2011

the "clamps" we used were a 2x4 covered in carpet and a brace to push against the 2x4. This repair was done in the suburbs of Quartzite a year ago Jan- where we had access to mostly nothing to work with.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 03-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
the "clamps" we used were a 2x4 covered in carpet and a brace to push against the 2x4. This repair was done in the suburbs of Quartzite a year ago Jan- where we had access to mostly nothing to work with.
Ernie,
We all do what we gotta do. I see no issue with your repair, but for those that have access to a good hardware store I thought I would point out the alternative way I did it.

One worry I share with Morey is the use of Liquid Nails. From what I read on the container it is not intended for use outdoors and it didn't mention metal bonding (there may be several varieties though). I had a catastrophic bonding failure on a sheet of aluminum on the MCI I built a few years back. It was a large panel covering the windows. Luckily the few rivets I put in as fail-safes did their job, but the adhesive (which was supposed to be as good as Sikaflex) let go all at once. The panels that were install with real Sikaflex, I think you could lift the bus with them!!

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”