Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-04-2013
Not so Junior anymore

Default Chapter 3

Chapter 3
The Great Unknown

Well With a weeks rest at the RV Resort, something a little more to my liking, we are off and running to the next, I do not know ware the **** I am, Adventure, at my wife's direction. This time we are meeting her friends at a State Park in New Mexico. Goodie I hope they have a swing set for me to play on... Anyway, I get to make a reservation using an online service, this was a lot of fun (not) and at first it may make you think that this is a high class place or something, but it turns out it is just a way of charging you $10.60 more to go to the park. And because I do not know ware in the park I really want to stay, I made the reservation for a couple of days, just encase I do not like the place and need to make a hasty retreat, but I told the wife it was encase we saw a nicer place to park. This is another one of those places that is listed on your RV travel guide as being on something they call an “other paved road”. You know you have Interstate Highways,
U.S. Highways, State Highways, Business Routs, County Highways, Main Through Ways, Secondary Highway, Municipal access roads, County Roads , Streets, and the wondrous, “other paved road”. Now this actually sounds like heaven, compared to the “Lumpy, Bumpy” road and the cow path of my wife's last great Idea... This at least has the work “paved” in it.

With a quick stop at the truck stop, and $834.45 (hay, we at least got out of the State by 35 miles) worth of Diesel, we are off and running. Well not exactly... It has taken so long to get packed up to leave the RV Resort, (refer to chapter one and two) that it is lunch time... so we pull over in truck parking, you know you have seen them all lined up like you did with your Tonka Toys as a kid... anyway, you shut down the beast in the back after feeding it, so you can make some lunch.
With a little poking around in the fridge you come up wit some sliced turkey meat, ham and a couple of Kraft Singles, Sounds like lunch to me... Now to find this stuff in your fridge may not be surprising, but for me it is a lucky day with a fine score of a sandwich. I guess I forgot to mention that my wife (god bless her lovely deranged mind) is a vegetarian. The odds of me finding anything eatable in the entire bus are typically slim to nonexistent. I digress, After lunch it is,,, yeperrr,,, nap time.

So off we go again, but much to my shagrin, I miss the turn onto the interstate, so ok everyone knows you just slide through the next circle K, or 7/11 or speedy mart, what ever they call them in your neighbor hood and out the other side to turn around, right, wrong. Not so with the bus. We drive an extra 2.5 miles until we see a parking lot big enough to turn the buss around in. So back to the freeway and we are on the road again.
OK Two hours later we are on the road to the next great adventure.

We are about 20 minutes out from our scheduled landing at the State Park when my wife gets a text message from her girl friend and reads something to the effect of “they do not think the bus can get into or out of the site I have reserved at the park. Oh Joy. Well no big deal... it is a no refund site... I wonder why.

We turn off the freeway into what looks like a modern day ghost town or maybe the remains of one of those movies that they drop a bunch of nuclear bombs that just leave the buildings but kill all the people. Anyway this is a good example of the dry camping thing I told you about before, you know, about planning like you are going to be on the moon.

Anyway, down the “other, paved, road,” we go.

You know, this time I think the folks she wants us to camp with picked a good place, well that was my thinking until I start climbing up this steep grade and the bus starts heating up and slowing down again. Hear we go again I see a cow path in our future.

Well not exactly.

Then as quickly as we started going up we start into a series of sharp curves, not horrible curves, they would actually be OK, if the road was a little wider than the bus. Well as long as no one comes the other way we will be OK, I think. But then up in the distance, my wife and I spot almost simultaneously, a sign that said, 5 MPH SHARP CURVES, STEEP GRADE, in big ominous letters, and as you looked beyond that sign, you could see,,, nothing, the road just fell off the face of the earth. OK so this looked a bit ominous. So we have all seen curve signs before, and steep grade, signs, but you got-a-believe me, this one was terrifying. We hit the top of the hill and the nonexistent road at the same time, then, like a roller coaster that just hit the top of the tracks, the road fell like a rock.

Now this is a good time to pause and talk about one aspect of the monster bus that we have not yet discussed. BRAKES.

The brakes on a big bus like ours are pneumatic, a fancy word for they are driven by air. I am not going to get into all the fine points of this type of system except for one. NO AIR NO BRAKES.
It takes a minimum of 60 PSI of air pressure to make the brakes work. If you are driving slow, oh, lets say, do to a bunch of curves, oh like we were. Using the brakes a lot and the engine is going slow so that the compressor that makes the air pressure is not running very fast, well, you could be a bit short of air pressure, like if you all of a sudden started going down hill.

Now this is not your normal steep hill but the steep hill, of, steep hills. The hill that all other steep hills aspire to be.

OH and it is still curvy, I mean Rachel Welch, Madonna, and Angelina Joule, put together curvy.
And still down hill.

This is about the time I look at my air pressure gauge. Yep , the bus has a nice one right there in front of your face and alongside of that there is a big RED light, and under the dash someplace a big noise buzzer and when all the right stuff happens, the needle on the gauge hits 60 PSI and the big red light go's on and the noise buzzer starts to sound and it all comes together to tell you to KISS YOUR *** GOODBYE.

Well thank god we missed all that fun by at least 5 PSI.

As I trembled my way down the “other, paved, road,” now only a mile or two from the camp site. I could think only one thing, The people we are camping with hate us. They must want us dead, or something.

Anyway I can't think of anything worse that could happen. You know I got to quit saying that.
Anyway we pull into the campground and stop the bus sort of out of the way near the dump station, (we have not talked about one of those fun places yet,) but we will get there.

Anyway, we get out and unhook Sami, and go out to try to find our camp spot. Good thing we did that. Remember the Lumpy Bumpy Road of days gone by, Well we run into a little more of that except this time the lumps are big flat (I use the term loosely) rocks and the road has an issue like the right hand tire would be a foot or two lower than the left, not good for a 14 foot tall bus.

We find our campsite and in simple terms, no way in ****, can we get into it, much less out. But, a bright spot on the horizon, we do find a spot on top of a hill that we can get in and even better out of.

Back we go with Sami, and I start up the bus as my wife runs back ahead of me to guards the spot to assure that no one gets the spot but us.

We learn from my paranoia of the last camp site and turn the bus around to point out of the camp ground before we even stop it. All is good, or at least for now, we are still alive.

Well like clock work up rolls my wife's friend Lorrie. **** I just realized, I never told you my name or my wife's name, This is something my wife hollers at me about all the time. I never remember anyone's name and if I do I never introduce her to them.
Well My name is Mark, and my wife's name is Ginger. Ginger is not long or short for anything she is a real Ginger and she will tell you that.... And well I told you her BFF's name Lorrie, what ever a BFF is, Ginger just calls her that all the time.

Well like I said, like clock work up rolls my wife's friend Lorrie, Thank god there are no squeals like last time, but what was a little scaring was the hug Lorrie gave Ginger. It was just a little long, if you know what I mean, but she always comes over an gives me a hug also and it is always a little long, I guess that is the way she is. She is a little scary, I mean not like anyone you have ever met before, just real different. She is always renaming thing to love this and love that, and she really wants you to use those name for what ever it is.

Anyway the girls are off doing what ever it is that they do as I get about my task of setting up camp.
**** wail I am setting up I can tell you a little more about me, that is of course my second favorite subject. Football is first. Anyway, I am a retired Dept of Army Civilian. That is a fancy way of saying that after I got out of the Army (Vietnam era) Igot offered a civilian position working for the Army. The fun part of the job was I got to work on hi tech stuff most of my career, then I got moved into a management position and it was not as much fun, and then it got to be a pain and thin I got to be 55 and being under the “old retirement plan” I could retire at, yep... 55. So at exactly 55 and 14 days of age I retired. If you are young and do not know what any of that means, I pity you.

I got a nice lump of cash when I retired from a 401K account that I started, that I did not really need, and I used it to buy the bus, pay off the house and all the credit cards. The money I get each month is not a huge amount but we make it work, and have fun with our travels.

I was married before I met Ginger and she had been married before also, in the light of full disclosure, I must say I was married 3 times before I met Ginger, but this time I did it right,
Ginger is a one in a million, She is pretty, with long red hair and petite, and a lot of fun. Like any couple we have are issues, (mostly about kids) (but that is another book) but we are making it work, OK.

**** I do not normally talk about that stuff.

Lorrie, well I do not know a lot about her, she was singing at our church when we met her, some kind of traveling minstrel, she has a name for it that has the word love it is three times, I think, anyhow, She is part of this traveling group that moves around and camps in all kinds of strange places and Ginger thought it would be fun to travel around with them for a wile. So here we are.
I know a lot of guys that would not do this type of thing with there wife’s, but , well, Ginger is special, I have never loved anyone or anything in my life like I love her. I ,would never tell her this, but I do not think I knew what love was before I met her.

Well I went ahead and set up 90% of the camp stuff but that is not a lot because this is another dry camping spot, but our site is real nice, on top of a hill. We can look out one side of the bus and see a nice size lake and out the other is a nice size canyon with rugged cliffs and we can walk right up to the edge of the cliffs, pretty cool.

So far I like this place, but I am not going to say anything that mite jinks this stop on our trip.

Oh ya, I remembered one other thing about Lorie, she is gay... I mean, what is it that is the write term, guys can be gay and women are happy, I know you can not use the work queer anymore with out getting all kinds of people pissed at you. Oh well I will get it in a wile.

Another thing about Lorrie is she is into this metaphysical stuff in a big way. I know some stuff about that type of thing cause Ginger is into it to, I think that is the reason they get along so well.

And rocks and crystals, they both like rocks and crystals, but Lorrie takes that to a different planet. She has so many rocks and things in her camper that I swear she has to sleep outside. And lord, you think is takes us a long time to get setup and torn down to move the bus,,, you should see her, It literally takes her days to pack up. I will add in here that her camper in only a 15 footer.... and it takes her 2 Days, to get ready to move after a couple of week of camping.... heck.... if I am properly motivated, lets say by rain when parked I a dry lake bed I can pack the 40ft bus in 2Hr.20min. You just saw me do it......

Ginger has a lot of rocks and stuff (particularly hart shaped rocks) but nothing like Lorrie.

The traveling group is sort of lead by a guy named Randy, nice guy but a little strange. He writes poems and a couple of books and has not worked in 40 years or so, just travel around an collects peoples stories, you know the everyone has a story, that is the story he wants. Anyway, the group gets together for walks, and sun sets and to look at stars, stuff like that, but other than that they don't really do much, which is fine with me.

There are other people that travel around on and off with the group but I do not know them well at all, so when I learn there names I will try to remember to tell you.

Well I just finished hanging up the hammock, Ginger's favorite peace of camping paraphernalia, I swear she would live in it if she could. She sits in it, lays in it reads in it eats in it, talks on the phone in it, you get the picture.

Lesbian! Lesbian! That's what you call them, you know it is a shame when you see a gal with a great starting line up and you find out she is playing for the other team. I should remember that better cause it seems like I am meting more of them these days.

Time to get ready for dinner, if my wife gets back soon, she and Lorrie have been wandering around visiting the others in the group I assume.

Well for dinner I lucked out again and my wife had some salmon in the freezer. Now Ginger will eat salmon and most other sea food, I told you before that she is a vegetarian and that is true but she is not a vegan, Vegans are the ones that only eat green stuff. I remember the first time I herd the term vegan, I thought it was some kind of devil worshiping vegetarian. Anyway, I am getting a way from my story. It was not the best Alaskan Salmon but good reliable Atlantic Salmon... Heck when I'm camping it all tastes better than at home anyway. I did a quick thaw out and then out to the grill I went. With a bit of lemon pepper and some oil and a hot griddle, in a matter of five minutes on one side and then cooking on the other side until I can see that it is hot but still juicy... I had the perfect salmon. Most people overcook fish and get it to dry. Not me... My wife did what she does and made a salad and some vegetables (vegetables were not necessary in my book), we had a nice dinner. We eat outside on our chairs, with TV like trays. It had been a good day. We got a nice campsite, I did get my nap after lunch, and the campsite is setup and looking good, heck, with the exception of almost dieing in a ball of fire on a steep mountain grade with no brakes... it was a really good day.

I stayed up a little later than Ginger and sat in my black leather recliner and played on the computer for a wile. It was peaceful and quiet, I love that... I do not remember if I payed bills or just checked in on the WOG. The WOG is my favorite web site. It is a group of people that have the same kind of RV as we have. I promos I will talk more about is later, but for now I will say, good night.

Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 01-04-2013

Very nice writing.
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 01-05-2013

Another great story Mark, I almost giggled out of my chair. I can relate to most of it in some way or another. I never ever want to see that downhill road though!
3208T 250hp
Allison MT-643
Rear End 5.29
Old 01-05-2013

Hilarious!!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Mountain
Old 01-05-2013
Not so Junior anymore

Thank you all.

I truly am not a good writer, I just see the world in a different way. The things that upset some people I just see the hummer in them.

I can not spell worth a ****, and I know the difference between To, and Two, but I have no idea what Too is for, so I never us it.

I do love to do what ever it is that I do do.....

Again thanks for you kind words.

I have the most fun in my bus and love the stories that I can tell about our trips.
Old 01-05-2013

At least i no longer need your permission to cross post, get them on our site over here, there are guys a waiting :-D

Malc- Hexham, Northumberland-UK
Only a Dream: FC model, 78-83 ish like 'Over the Rainbow'
Old 01-05-2013
Forum owner

Don't let Mark fool you!
Just because he can't spell (me either) does not mean hes not a very smart guy,hes done some very interesting stuff in his life.
I enjoyed talking with him out west.

Only problem with the stuff Mark did for a living is...
If he tells you about it he will have to kill you!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-05-2013
Not so Junior anymore

Well....Randy.... that is not totally true.

We have ways of making you forget......

Only in the rare case that they do not work do we need to resort to .... termination....
Old 01-05-2013

Great read Mark. I will have to go look for Chapter 1 and 2.

I hate I had such a bad cold when we ran into you two this summer and didn't feel like doing much.
Fruita Colorado
Old 01-05-2013
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYuma View Post
Well....Randy.... that is not totally true.

We have ways of making you forget......

Only in the rare case that they do not work do we need to resort to .... termination....
Who are you?
And why are you talking to me?
(see how easy i forget?)

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com