Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 03-05-2011

Default Manual Impact Driver

I rediscovered an old tool today that I had completely forgot I had. It is a manual impact driver that you hit with a hammer. It comes with four screwdriver tips (slotted and Phillips) and can also drive sockets. I used it today to get out a Phillips screw that wouldn't budge. I tried a screwdriver and an electric drill but the bit kept camming out of the head. Stewie was supervising and said "try hitting it with a hammer". The light went on and I remembered I had the impact driver! First blow from the hammer and the screw started coming out. I just wish I had remembered it earlier as I have struggled with removing other screws on the Bird.

Stew didn't know such a tool existed, so I thought I would post up in case other owners have frozen Phillips screws that they have struggled to remove.

I know you can buy electric impact drivers but I don't believe they provide the downward force that the hammer blow delivers, virtually eliminating the possibility that the bit will cam out of the head. Mine is made by Gray Tools up in Canada but this Sears model is similar and a lot less expensive.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P
Old 03-05-2011
Gardner

Richard,
45 years ago I worked in a boat sales/service facility. The impact driver was my best friend. Salt water and age made getting screws out almost impossible. With the downward pressure and twist the tool produces you could loosen some of the most corroded screws you'd ever see.

When I had to repair my FC mirrors, the old impact driver regained it's status loosening the screws around the ball socket. It is also good on car door hinges with the big Phillips head screws.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-05-2011

Speaking of which, I just bought one of these this weekend. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html
Old 03-05-2011
Sandwichs de Glace

Richard,

We acquired a similar tool when we needed to remove some rooftop ladder screws from our BB. Very cool.

MnM
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
Old 03-16-2011

Default impact driver

I have been working on aircraft for 42 years now and deal with alot of frozen phillips head screws. We use a home made tool in the hangar that works every time with really stubborn screws. I know most of you probably don't own a pnuematic rivet gun, but it works really well. We took a 6 in long, 3/8" drive extension and cut off the female end. We then machined the extension so it would fit in the rivet gun. Welded a 6 in long rod onto the side of the extension for a handle. Put a 3/8" drive apex tip socket on the male end of the extension and have at it. You have to turn down the regulator valve on the gun a bit so it doesn't hammer too hard. Squeeze the trigger on the gun and turn the extension using the welded on handle. Works on the same principal as the impact driver, but impacts the screw continously as long as the trigger is pulled. You supply the turning force using the welded on handle.
Also, if the screw head is a little worn out or damaged, put some valve grinding compound on the apex tip. It helps keep the tip from slipping out of the screw head.