Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 10-03-2011

Just picked up a 117 on Amazon for $175 - can measure 10A
Old 10-05-2011
Senior

Don if you have a true sine wave Xantrex that may be true but the vast majority sold are just plain old inverter/chargers like the one that I have a Xantrex Freedom 458. However I never check the output of the inverter as long as everything is running fine. If it is not then I take it out and use a different meter but that so far has never happened in over 10 years of using Xantrex products. We have meters on the coach that show the output of each of the two legs so that is taken care of also.

The vast majority of troubleshooting of electrical problems on the coach is for DC problems and the Fluke is great at that. Also for the vast majority of members of WOG, even if they have a RMS meter would they know how to use it? And if something is wrong with the inverter do they have the experience to troubleshoot and repair it?

One of the businesses I help is a electronic repair shop. The biggest problem they have is inexperienced people attempting to repair something they know nothing about. The customer flinches when they are told it will cost more to get the TV or what ever repaired since they have made the troubleshooting more complex as well as replacing parts that are now bad due to an inexperienced person opening up the case and poking around.

So I would stick with my recommendation. Buy the Fluke 15B and if you ever do have a problem with the inverter then decide if you want to buy a better meter or not.
6V92
Old 11-14-2011

I found the BLUE SEAS #8110 mini clamp on meter to be the one of choice for me. Here is a link to where I purchased it;
http://shop.pkys.com/blueseasystems8...ultimeter.aspx

It has answered numerous questions when trying to troubleshoot issues.
6V92 DD
Old 11-15-2011

Steve, looks like a good meter and the price ain't bad either. I like the fact that it will read DC amps to 300. And being a Tue RMS, it's good for checking inverter output if you have a modified sine wave.

Tom, when I thought I was having trouble with my Xantrex inverter, I was going crazy trying to figure out why I only had 105 volts at all my outlets. I was unaware my trusty Fluke would NOT real modified sine wave. It wasn't until I talked with a Xantrex tech that we finally figured out the low voltage on the meter. Turned out my problem at that time was that my DirecTV receiver was bad. After almost 9 years of working on the modified sine wave inverter, it decided NOT to work anymore. BUT, it worked OK on shore power. We figure it was probably because of a power surge. I was plugged into shore power at in Florida and surges are prevalent down there. (My microwave went out at the same time) I have since replaced the receiver and micro wave and haven't had any more problems.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 11-15-2011

This meter has been very helpful to me and I still have a modified sine wave inverter (HEART FREEDOM COMBI, the predecessor to the XANTREX 458). This clamp on DC amp meter can read very minor drains as well as working as a volt/ohm meter. I don't want to be a salesman for them but it has been very helpful.
I just had to get the power inverter repaired last month. I found a great guy in the San Diego area, Fuge Electronics. He did what he said he would, for the price he said and the time frame that he said.
6V92 DD