Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-30-2013
prone to wandering

Hey Jason
Real nice to hear from you again. The route Rick suggested is a great route, you will encounter some decent hills on I-81 through TN and VA, but nothing you can't handle, they all kind of roll if you know what I mean. You can take I-66 east from I-81 near Winchester VA and that will take you across to DC. Have a great trip and BTW, the cheapest fuel you will find in the east will likely be at the Love's in VA on I-81 at the 84 mile marker which is just past Wytheville and the I-77 cutoff. Keep in touch and next time I get down towards DC I would love to look at your 72.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 02-02-2013

Sounds good Jim. By the way, how is your '70 custom going? Did you ever obtain airbags? Fortunately mine are all in good shape but would feel better having a spare or two in a closet.

My mechanic said the engine sounds quite good with very little blow-by. They fixed a bad fuel solenoid wire (the engine died on them after a test drive), fixed some air leaks and are getting the tach to work. Pick it up Tuesday to pack and I am on the road next Saturday!!!
Old 02-03-2013
prone to wandering

Hey Jason, the 70 is sort of stalled right now as we have a 1962 Kenworth truck that we are doing a custom build on in the restoration bay this winter. The 70 is slated to come in around the first week of May and hopefully we can get it to the point where it is a good runner and driver by June. Unfortunately, air bags are non existent for the Madsden chassis. We have found another bag that will work with some modification to the lower bag mounts that it is fairly common bag, easy to get and relatively inexpensive.
Have a fun and safe trip back east and keep in touch.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 02-03-2013
Clueless

As Jim said, I81 is pretty easy. There are a few long hills south of Roanoke, but north of Roanoke you are in the Shenandoah Valley - very smooth sailing up to I66. There is a truck friendly Fuel City gas station at exit 205 that often has the best prices around.

Last edited by Endless Summer; 02-03-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2013

Plus, if you take I-40 you will get the chance to stop over at our Bird Barn to clean-up/relax/refill/dump, and generally just chill for whatever time you need to continue your trip. We are not far off I-40, close to where I-75 merges in, and before you get to I-81. Just PM me. We'll leave a light on fer ye.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold