Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 02-18-2008

Default '82 PT-40 Facelift

Since I have been posting just Electrical and mechanical problems recently, I thought I would show you the good news for a change. Here is "Brigadoon" before and after her facelift. The orange vinyl pinstripes had to go. The color is correct on the "after" picture - dont know why it looks silver in the "before" shot - but you will get the idea.
Headlights are Gillig bus. Grill is an aftermarket "Billett" for a ford f150, and the LED signals and running lights are unbelievably bright. I think she looks very "Retro modern" and much improved.... Comments??
Click to enlarge thumbnails below.
......Before..........After
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wanderlodge front end before 2.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	102   Click image for larger version

Name:	newbusfront2.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	103  
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 02-18-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmk2 View Post
Since I have been posting just Electrical and mechanical problems recently, I thought I would show you the good news for a change. Here is "Brigadoon" before and after her facelift. The orange vinyl pinstripes had to go. The color is correct on the "after" picture - dont know why it looks silver in the "before" shot - but you will get the idea.
Headlights are Gillig bus. Grill is an aftermarket "Billett" for a ford f150, and the LED signals and running lights are unbelievably bright. I think she looks very "Retro modern" and much improved.... Comments??
Rob,

Since I'm not a purist and my 'Bird has one of the most radical paint jobs on an early model 'Bird that I have seen thanks to Budweiser, I find the modifications that you have done very appealing. I always have thaught that the front generator grill almost intruded into the paint scheme of the early model PT's, so your has a very clean look to it. I also notice that you replaced the hard to find parking lights with LED's, did you have to make a new panel to mount them on, or did those LED's fit right over the opening left by the original turn signals? What brand and part number are those LED parking lights.Where did you find the billet Ford grill and also I notice different chrome trim, what did you use there? I hope that you didn't throw away the old Bluebird trim, you can always put that up for sale, I bought an almost complete set at the RATS rally a few years ago. Overall I think that with the paint scheme that you now use it is very refreshing and gives it a more modern look, while still keeping that Vintage look.

I chose to use a clear LED that turns to amber when activated 4" LED turn signal light, that fits into the holes that are behind the original turn signals, with the help of a plasma cutter to trim out the opening just a bit and they are a snug fit when the headlight door is closed, as there is very little room back behind there, especially on the passengers side. I also installed LED lights inside of the footwell that I never use.

They can be purchased at most BIG TRUCK chrome shops, such as at the Iowa 80 Truckstop in Walcott, Iowa, or through their web site at IOWA80.COM

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-18-2008
Forum owner

sharp!
looks good,LEDs make all the diff in the look!
that grill is sharp too,i bet that idea gets used!
randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-18-2008

John - Randy,
Thanks for your kind comments. The Idea was to spruce up and look a little more modern without losing the period feel ofthe whole thing. I think it worked pretty well, especially sine I'm painting it myself, section by section out in the back yard. its over 3/4 done now....

Per your questions John, I got the grill from ebay for $86 from a vendor called "Grill4you" here is the link to the item http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230204716521 - it has a very slight curve to it and I finished off the top with a length of 3/4 aluminum angle from Home depot polished up and cut to the same width....

The direction indicators are flush mount and !just! cover the old holes up. From www.pipelight.com They are Part No: 1-STLL-78AB Description: 6" Oval Sealed LED Park/ Rear Turn Light; Surface/Flange Mount; 10 Super diode; Amber Screws Not Included. Chrome cover ring included
Price: $ 13.95 - not bad. They also have replacement red or amber rectanglar chrome marker lights that are just about a direct replacement for $5.95

I thought the 7" Leds were a good price also. Part No: 1-STL-90AB Description: 7" Round Rear Turn/Clearance/ Reflex LED Bus Light (31 Diodes); Amber Price: $ 23.95

I have 2 ambers front and 4 reds on the rear - Yes - you can see me now sir!

The chrome trim is chrome self adhesive trim (1") from www.sportwing.com - a 14' length is $25.40 - item #MLD-AB10014-S - best price I could find and just enough for the job. Yes, I have kept all the old bits! (unless the wife has found it and tossed it).
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 02-18-2008

Default Front end mods

Hi,
When you replaced with LED's, were they a direct wire to wire replacement or did you have to add diodes?
Bob Lawrence
84 PT36
Boulder City, Nv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmk2 View Post
Old 02-18-2008

Hi, no, just wire to wire - no diodes needed. You have to find a ground though for each one....
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 03-06-2008

You 'bird looks good! I might "borrow" your idea for that grill.

I am planning to drop my headlights down to where they will be right above the bumper. Obviously that will mean having new panels made to cover the openings left by the existing headlights and repainting the front of the bus a bit.

I've got a set of headlights similar to your Gillig units but am also looking at a pair of surface mount lights from an axle-forward Mack truck of a late 90's vintage. They would look like these:

Not a particularly traditional Bluebird look but I am thinking that with suitable turn signals mounted low that it will give the old girl a more modern "Euro bus" look as well as providing better lighting.

Any opinions?

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 03-06-2008

Thanks John,
Your ideas sound cool. If I am correct you own an '82 PT40 like me. Not many of these around - someone told me only 6 were made in '82. Guess we need to hook up sometime and swap ideas, problems faced and other general BS........
Rob
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 03-06-2008

Hello Rob!

Yes Sir, she's a 1982 according to the girlfriend. I keep saying that she's a 1981 but Randy keeps telling me that there ain't no such animal. At any rate she's one of the first PT's built.

I'd be happy to compare notes because we have a few non-standard things and some things that don't jive with our owners manual, but the old girl is comfortable and ready to travel at a moment's notice.

Only 6 built, eh? Now that's interesting. Was that just the PT-40's or does that include the PT-36's? I ran into a PT-36 in the Keys that has to be about the same year as ours; I remember that it was being advertised for sale when we bought ours and I happened to see it when I was on a back street somewhere around Big Pine Key.

Stay in touch. You can email me directly at PirateJohn@aol.com if you want to.

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 03-06-2008
Forum owner

theres another 82 pt 40 in pensacola fl.
owned by John M.
i have not seen him in a few years.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com