Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 01-29-2014

I agree that using veggie is a gamble. From experience would say if it is done right with the proper engine it will work great. The problem is it is a dying novelty. There is no newer cars or trucks past 2005 that will adapt to wvo without the odds of major issues. There is also the problem of securing a constant supply of wvo. There are many people paying a dollar or more a gallon for it and that on top of the mess and cost of building a heated system and filtering makes it very questionable. I still do not pay for the oil but I do
plow the parking lot for nothing when it snows in exchange for it. I also now have to haul the grease trap water-grease and dispose of it for the Restaurant
or it will get mixed into the oil. I do not want to do it for many more years because it is hard work and heavy work. I am having back surgery next week (unrelated to wvo) and hoping to be back at it quickly. The bigger concern for me is actually the commitment of every 2 weeks picking it up. I intend to be at the Q next year and I will not be back quick enough to make them happy. Also if it snows, she will not be happy to pay for plowing if I am gone. As a result, my time for continuing this is slowly running down.
There are a lot of people down south that just dump the wvo in the main tank and go. Maybe temperatures will allow it somewhat but I just can't imagine that they are not damaging their engines. Old Mercedes 240d's
and 300d's may take the abuse for a while but not forever. I guess if they are cheap to start with and classified as a disposable car you may get the money out of them but they are running on borrowed time.
The reality is with federal and state regulations , it you want to do it "legally" as I have -DON"T DO IT !
Old 01-30-2014

Default Biobug

Have you offered your collection point a barrel that would allow them to dump their grease as often as they liked with you not picking up until it's full? With a strainer on top to avoid the solids? And a lid over that to keep out the rain/snow? Of course then you'd probably tangle with a pump, but 120v works ok for me. (I haven't tried 12v.) (If you're deadset against pumps, you could still scoop out bucket fulls into hand carryable amounts.)
Old 01-30-2014

Default Randy

In the name of using vege during boondocking, I'm thinking it still might be worth cooking up some diesel/everything heater that could heat the coolant. Either as part of the bus or outside (If outside, hopefully small enough to haul in and out of the bus as needed).
Old 01-30-2014

For collection I do use 55 gallon open barrels with collection lids that strain out the big stuff. I also leave one plastic enclosed drum for the grease trap ****.I used to use a pump but I do have a lift gate on my truck . I have found that using a 5 gallon bucket is faster than a pump. I normally just roll and push the barrels onto the lift gate depending on how my back is doing.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."