Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 03-14-2016

Question Help removing bedroom cabinets in '67 FC

I need to replace the wall paneling, and perhaps some framing around the bedroom windows in our '67 FC. It seems like I need to remove the overhead cabinets in the bedroom, but I can not figure out how to do it. I found the screws behind the face of the cabinets at the top, having removed them the cabinets are still solid.

Are there 3 cabinets or is it all one piece? It looks to me like there are seams between the side cabinets and the rear cabinet.

I will appreciate any help figuring this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8958.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	41349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8961.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	41350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8959.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	41351  
1988 PT 40 "Silver Shadow"
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 03-14-2016
Forum owner

i have a set of overhead cabinets in my 1970 parts bus,that i want to remove and install in my 71.
I have not done the job yet,so keep us in the loop!
Other than that,i have nothing for you.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-21-2016

Thumbs up Cabinets removable

To remove the cabinets, remove the screws in the 1x2 at the top behind the face panel of the cabinet. My rig had 5 screws per cabinet.

Use a chisel to gently pry the bottom board of the cabine (the "floor") away from the 1x2 assembly at the bottom rear of the cabinet. This assembly is a horizontally mounted 1x2 screwed to the frame, and 2 vertically mounted 1x2 aligned with the bottom of the horizontal one and nailed into it. (actually, the middle one is nailed to the horizontal one and the outer one is nailed to the middle one).

After I got a good gap between the floor and the 1x2 assembly, I used a larger pry-bar to get the nails all the way out.

The cabinet is now free, but mine were very tight against the front wall and the rear cross-cabinet. A little herk and they came out. I removed some things from the front wall so the cabinet would not hang up on any projections.

In the third picture of the original post in the thread you can see the gap where I was using the chisel, I simply got nervous about breaking stuff and stopped to ask questions before proceeding with more capable tools. I was on the right path.

In my rig, each side cabinet is seperate from the rear cabinet assembly. It looks like the rear is somewhat the same as the sides, although they have screws along the bottom sections.

Good Luck
1988 PT 40 "Silver Shadow"
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"