Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-13-2017

Default 1970 SP Bluebird/JayMadsen

1970 SP Bluebird/JayMadsen
There were only a handful of these coaches built, rear pusher, air ride suspension, typical of the SB model, except very simplistic. Altough I like what Randy and all his friends are doing to his 71SP, I would like to restore it as much as possible to original condition.
I purchased this coach in an, as is condition. Being that the coach came from Colorado there is very little rust which makes it a very good candidate to restore. The coach originally had a 534 gas motor and is being replaced with a Cummins 5.9l and Allison 6 speed transmission.
I have been very patient with this coach, has cost me monies when virtually no work was been done, but I finally have it back in my possession.

The coach as it is today:
The driveline:
Suspension – air bags were purchased but never installed. Pedestals will have to be fabricated.
o Front - has one air bag each side with a torsion bar on each side running forward from the front axle to the frame. The air bags, shocks and trunnion bushings need to be replaced.
o The rear has four air bags. The air bags and shocks need to be replaced.
Wheels – has 6 new tubeless steel wheels
Tires –will be replaced with 11R22.5
Rear-end – Oil to be checked if it was actually drained, cleaned and filled with synthetic oil.
Brakes
o Front- The coach has air brakes and use the standard 30/30 chambers on the rear. For brake adjustment it uses manual slacks. The front axle drums are vented.
o Rear – brake drums are 1 inch thick, drums and shoes are fine with no cracks and show very little wear.
o General - cam bushings, slack adjusters, rubber brake hoses and maxi-pots, lube the rollers and re-install. Wheel bearings and races will need to be replaced, they are a standard and current "school bus kit". Needs to be checked if this was done
Power Steering – gear drive off the accessory drive – will have to check for operation.
Air Compressor – gear drive off the accessory drive – will have to check for operation.
Engine - -wire everything up, 2 ecm's, keypad shifter, gauges and drive by wire. A new radiator is being built ?and we will install it when it is finished along with the CAC and trans cooler. A serpentine belt, fiber fan, tension idler and electric Horton clutch hub. Factory radiator will be used, and CAC and transmission cooler will be placed in front of it.
Transmission – same as above.
Air system -– relay valves, pressure protection valves, double and single check valves, quick release valve, height control valves, air filters, threadle brake valve, air dryer to be changed to newer style.
Driveshaft - We will be able to use the driveshaft without altering the length and all other dimensions fit in the engine well too.
Fuel Tank – steam the fuel tank and get lines put in for both the engine and generator.

Other Items:
AC Power: Generator tray to be fabricated and generator installed. AC power inlet
Holding Tanks- need to be replaced as there are holes in it.

All of this work will start hopefully in September. My first long trek across the country hopefully will be early spring 2018.
Old 07-13-2017

Wow, Bill. Must be retired! My sources tell me you did, they miss you on the crew shuttle boat!

Where are you doing all the work?
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 07-13-2017
Forum owner

ihave already done a lot of that work on the coach i have,a twin (almost)to yours.
Please explain the pedestals you need to build for the air bags.

Also,my front axle only has air bags,no torsion bars.
Got pics?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-13-2017

Wow Bill, that's quite a list to be completed in the dead of winter in your part of the world. Hope it all goes without a hitch and we can see this beauty in the future.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-13-2017

Default 1970 SP Bluebird/JayMadsen

The work will be done in Ontario, not here in BC. I will be flying back on August 15th. The garage has two large shops, one for all of the routine stuff from small to big, and another shop for pimping vehicles. (****** Car Customs).
I was hoping that I would be able to be a hands on fellow at the shop but due to liabilities that is not allowed. The problem is that the complete list has to be checked out as I am not sure if it was done, or even done properly. Unfortunately I will not get the hands on experience, it will cost me more, but then if there is a problem, they will be held accountable.

Randy, it was in Jim's post that I had to build new pedestals, but I only have two air bags at the front wheels. On the rear wheels there are 4 air bags.

Kevin, I miss the travel, and most of the crew but not the work LOL. I retired in May of this year. Hope to see you when you come up this way again.

I would love to make it to the Rally in the Valley, plus others but once I get it on the road, I have 10 days to get it back to BC to have a vehicle inspection so I can get plates and insurance, then I can start travelling. "Stupid regulations as I have to travel 5700km's (3500miles) in 10 days just so I can get it insured."

This is two of Jim's pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.18 front suspension.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	49966   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.19 rear suspension.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	49967  

Last edited by tulipvendor50; 07-13-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: add picture