Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 08-26-2017

Default Fluorescent to LED upgrade

Some of the under cabinet fluorescent light ballasts have been failing. I came across these warm white LED's in a configuration that I have never seen before. I bought them at a LED light store in Tyler TX for .85 per 3" section. Here are a few pictures of how I did it. I removed the failed ballast to create a little space for the wires I connected with small wire nuts, I guesstimated that 5 sections would give me the brightness closely resembling the original lamps and installed with a staggered pattern on the original reflectors. I was originally going to install on the bottom of the aluminum box, but didn't want to cast shadows from the depth. When I got done, I was very happy with the warm white color, but was bothered by the huge contrast with the cool white fluorescent next to it, so I swapped in a warmer 3000k fluorescent, and it was very close in color. The brightness difference is almost indistinguishable with the naked eye, but appears more noticeable with my iPhone images. My iPhone made the last photo look like a cool white, but all 5 bedroom lights are now a very cozy warm white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	50682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	50683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	50684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	50685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	50686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	50687  
Trinityoilsupply@gmail.com
Trinityoilsupply.com
Old 08-26-2017

I found some RGB led's at a customer. They were going to throw them out. I got about 30-40' total with 3 RF controllers. These were held in place with double sided tape, but also can be secured with a screw. Haven't decided yet how I will wire & use them yet though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5637.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	50688

Tim, Dawn, Grace & Paul Mendenhall
And a handful of dogs and some Alpacas, goats & sheep
Old 02-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
Some of the under cabinet fluorescent light ballasts have been failing. I came across these warm white LED's in a configuration that I have never seen before. I bought them at a LED light store in Tyler TX for .85 per 3" section. Here are a few pictures of how I did it. I removed the failed ballast to create a little space for the wires I connected with small wire nuts, I guesstimated that 5 sections would give me the brightness closely resembling the original lamps and installed with a staggered pattern on the original reflectors. I was originally going to install on the bottom of the aluminum box, but didn't want to cast shadows from the depth. When I got done, I was very happy with the warm white color, but was bothered by the huge contrast with the cool white fluorescent next to it, so I swapped in a warmer 3000k fluorescent, and it was very close in color. The brightness difference is almost indistinguishable with the naked eye, but appears more noticeable with my iPhone images. My iPhone made the last photo look like a cool white, but all 5 bedroom lights are now a very cozy warm white.
Please photograph exactly how you connected them and a link to the product itself. That looks like a great upgrade and I've got at least 8 to replace. Thanks.

Patrick Crow
Boise Idaho
1985 FC35SB
Old 03-27-2018

Default Interior LED light upgrade

Patrick, I don't have more pictures to share but let me elaborate some more. The lights I bought in bulk, I don't know the brand or remember what the package looked like. I told the store owner, I was looking for soft/warm white lights on a roll. He opened a prepackaged LED kit which included a power supply and sold me just the lights. Remember that all of the wiring and juice to power your factory interior lighting is 12 volts from your batteries. You need to make sure that any LED lights you buy MUST be 12 volts. (As a side note: I have bought several light strips from big box stores and thought I would just cut off the transformer inside the housing and wire directly, and what do ya know, they dont work on 12 volts, put a meter on the original transformer and 118 volts, what the heck? There are a lot of weird electronics inside some of the new style light fixtures). Anyhow, just cut the wires on the circuit board and drill out the rivets holding them in the aluminum housing and discard. Use some tiny wire nuts to direct wire them, you may want to extend the wires to make handling easier. Hope this helps.
Trinityoilsupply.com
Old 03-27-2018

I bought and converted several of my flourescent fixtures with these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They rock! And @ $20 for 10, are a bargain and you can trim them to size. The light is very bright. They consume about 1/2 of a flourescent and might put out marginally more light.

I put 3 of them in the main light between the kitchen and front couches and it is extremely bright by comparison. That fixture draws about 2 amps.

I just remove the fixture, drill a hole in one end of the fixture and weave the 12V leads from the ceiling in to the fixture.

They are adhesive lined so you just stick them in place.

Then I wire up the 3 LEDs with non-insulated butt connectors and then slip over adhesive lined shrink tubing. I also insulate the wires at the pass-through in to the fixture so time doesn't short out the 12V+. I use either wire loom or an extremely thick piece of shrink tubing. An alternate would be a proper fitting grommet, but I didn't have any of those on hand.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 03-27-2018

Default Color Temperature

I like the design, but the description doesn't mention the color temp. This is one of those personal choices, i.e. Would you like to live in a office, or do you want the softer cozy home feel? If you want the later, choose 3000k, 2700k or lower, just my 2 cents.
Trinityoilsupply.com
Old 03-27-2018

I do agree with you. It is on the cool end of the spectrum.
Ex-PT36
Old 03-28-2018

For those that prefer "daylight" or 6000K as I do, I used these. Peel and stick and put out a lot of light. I put 4 in the duel tube fixtures and 2 in the single tube ones.

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-2-Pie...70_&dpSrc=srch
87 FC35 "Old School"
RShrimp@Yahoo.com